“excellent for relaxing”

Ranked #22 of 445 Hotels in Pattaya
Leeds, United Kingdom
“excellent for relaxing”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Excellent rooms, if a bit aged, with good views of the sea. Staff were excellent and handled the fact that they could not find our booking superbly. Very good breakfast - even when swamped with conference delegates - the selection was great and plentiful. Lots of free sunbeds by the pools - beach was poor but that seems the norm for this part of Thailand.
The only grips we had was it was a 30 min walk to town. I know you could get the free shuttle to the main gate then a taxi but we do like to walk out.
We eat at the hotel's restaurants a couple of times as Pattaya seemed very short of good restaurants - particularly if you like local food. The food is the hotel's restaurants was excellent but as you would expect more expensive.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Royal_Cliff_Hotels, General Manager at Royal Cliff Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your compliments and for choosing to stay at Royal Cliff Hotels Group.

We truly appreciate your kind words about our delicious breakfast buffet, service, swimming pools and restaurants.

About our rooms we have finished refurbishing all the rooms in the Royal Cliff Beach Hotel. We have ultra modern and Thai modern style. Next time please try our Mini Suite Plus rooms.

As for location we are far enough from town to give all our guests a peaceful retreat yet at the same time we are near to all major shopping areas.

It was a pleasure to have you as our guests.

We hope to welcome you back to the state of exclusivity and fascination again in the near future.

Warm regards,

Antonello Passa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed March 29, 2014

If you're looking for an easy family getaway close to Bangkok this resort ticks all the boxes. Lots of activities and restaurants within the resort grounds so no need to go anywhere. I also did the cooking class which was fabulous and very informative.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank FelicityFox
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to write such a lovely review of your recent stay.

Thank you for recommending our hotel to other travelers. We are the closest beach resort city from Bangkok so it is very easy to get to us.

We are glad to know that you have wonderful memories of your time with us. We are truly committed to consistently provide high standards of service and facilities, and creating memorable experiences for our guests and happy that it has been achieved on this occasion. We at Royal Cliff Hotels strive to make every moment, a moment of WOW for our esteemed guests. I assure that you will experience the same level of luxury, comfort and service in your next visit too.

Thank you so much for sharing your comments regarding our NAH PAH COOKING SCHOOL! I was pleased to read you enjoyed in particular this experience, the Royal Cliff Thai Cooking Class is a charming and informative introduction to Thai cooking, where our guest are guided through the ingredients, preparing and cooking a Thai set menu with our exceptional chef and supportive staff to guide you through the process.

There is certainly nothing more motivating to a service provider than to be acknowledged for a job well done and it's also my pleasure to share your comments as well as my thanks with all team members.

Our warm welcomes make our guests feel at home, away from home.

Once again, thank you for choosing Royal Cliff Hotels Group – The State of Exclusivity & Fascination and we are all looking forward to your next visit.

It was a pleasure to have you and your family as our guests!

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I stayed at royal cliff beach hotel with my husband to celebrate our anniverssary. Looking at the reviews and pictures online and reviews from friends we were looking forward to our stay at the hotel. We reached the hotel at 10.00 am. One day prior to our check in date i had called and informed the otel that i will be reaching early and requested them for an early check in when i was told they will try to accomodate our request and provided a room at 12pm instead of 2pm. But to our disappointment we were told to site in the lobby from 10am to 2pm with no curtoesy to even ask if we were confrotable or not. We waited for an hour or two and i requested the receptionsit for a temporary room or make some arrangement for us to rest as we were really tired from a long flight. Our entire day got wasted and nobody came to help or show curtosey. Each time I followed up for the room i was told it is being cleaned and will be given as soon as it is done. In two hours all i was told was that the rooms are being cleaned.Then we were told there were no checkouts on that day, but we saw a number of guests checking out at the counter. I requested multiple times and was refused at all times. I expected atleast a temporary proivision for us to freshen up and relax for a bit. or atleast a decent manner to talk and make your guests feel comfortable. Then the recpetionist says if i pay for half day i can get a checkin earlier than 2....so if i pay rooms are available and ready and if i ask for a complementary free checkin then the hotel is fully booked!!! I have travelled to Thailand many a times and have always got an complementary early checkin. Royal cliff was an expection. 5 hours waiting in the lobby with no clear direction was furstrating.

At exactly 2pm we were given the room which was not very pleasing as shown in the pictures online. The next day we were out and before leaving asked for our room to be made....upon our return late at night we saw the room was not cleaned at all. Inspite of the "Make my room" request being on nobody had bothered to come to and check and do the needful.

Room was not clean, bathroom was worse. I had requestd for a sea view during my booking. I expected a clear sea view. However, there were trees right in front of my balcony blocking the view.

Being our anniversary I even asked at the recieption if they could do anything special for my husband as a surprise. I was told bluntly nothing can be done as the hotel was over booked and no time for anything. Overall a very disappointing experience.

Only good thing was the infinity pool and the breakfast.

1 Thank Rohini09
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to post your review about your experience at Royal Cliff Beach Hotel.

Firstly allow me to apologies on behalf of my team for any inconvenienced caused during your stay with us. We were all deeply saddened to learn that you did not have a more positive experience overall, I truly appreciate your input as it helps us continually improve our guest experience and I will certainly share it with my team.

I was very concerned to learn about the issue you encountered during check-in. We are pleased to accept requests for early arrivals. While we are unable to guarantee early check-in, we will do our best to accommodate requests based on availability.

Our hotel occupancy during that particular period was 100% and your request was to check-in around 10 a.m. while our normal check-in time is 2 p.m. All our staff will do our best to accommodate requests within reason and in this case we were able to accommodate you at our normal check-in time. While guest preferences are of the utmost importance, they occasionally are subject to the limitations of prevailing room inventory.

I am disappointed and concerned to hear of your anniversary celebration request was not met. Can you please send an email to us using this address to explain who you spoke too about your anniversary. Bualan@royalcliff.com. We are always happy to provide cakes for guests.

Let me ensure you that what your experienced is not the actual level of service provided at Royal Cliff Hotels Group. Actually, many outstanding guest comments and the over 150 awards we archived are indicative of the level we operate.

Thank you so much for sharing this review with the community and your compliments on the infinity pool and the breakfast, this is very kind of you.

We can ensure you that on your future visit you will experience the true Royal Cliff service. We are renowned for our excellent Thai hospitality towards our customers.

Once again, thank you for choosing Royal Cliff Hotels Group – The State of Exclusivity & Fascination and please accept my apologies for not meeting your expectations on this occasion and thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 19, 2014

[I stayed in Royal Cliff Beach Terrace in Sep 2013; most of what I reviewed then still applies for this trip, where I stayed in a different hotel under the Royal Cliff group of hotels.]

1) Location: This falls under the good / bad dichotomy. The property (which includes a total of four different hotels) is located away from Pattaya main strip. Thus, it affords much exclusiveness, serenity and respite from the noise and, um, color of Pattaya downtown. This is great as it makes for a wonderful place to rest and chill. However, some might feel it is too detached from excitement of Pattaya. That said, it is only a short and inexpensive ride to town, and back. The hotel provides shuttle rides (chargeable) at regular intervals or there are songtels readily available at the main gate and in town. Geographically, the property is located on a cliff (hence the name) and the view it offers is simply amazing! The private beach of the hotel leads to a public beach where there are beachside bars and food stall as well.

2) Amenities: Despite there being 4 hotels, there are so many swimming pools on the property that there is no overcrowding. Staying in different hotels give you restricted access to different pools, so there is no over-focus on any one of them. And then again, each pool is wonderful in their own right (with amazing views again!); thus, there's really no concern about being in different ones. The newly built Infini Pool is extremely pretty and well-sited, at the edge of the cliff, overlooking the sea. This hotel actually has a private beach for those who prefer nature.

The Saturday buffet is still amazingly good. Panorama still serves a good range of foods for breakfast; but was extremely crowded on one day when the hotel was hosting a major company event the night before.

3) Rooms: Many of the rooms here have a sea view, and a balcony that just invites you to sit there and drink in the view. I stayed in a room which gives a great view of the sea and the Infini Pool. TV, with many channels and bathrooms with bathtubs further make for an amazing stay here, without even stepping out of the room. Cleanliness is well-kept and amenities well-provided for, including toiletries, drinking water and thoughtfully placed and provided furniture.

4) Hotel: The facade of the buildings here is impressive and pretty, with all the balconies to be seen. While the building might seem old from certain parts of the decor, the furnishings within appear well-kept and constantly renewed. I like that there are different hotels - and thus, many different room types - to choose from within the property.

5) Staff: Staff is generally polite, friendly and helpful. But a not-too-pleasant experience at Panorama. We had dinner there one night, and standing at the entrance, no one bothered to sit us, despite having been seen by at least 3 staff members, including 2 supervisory staff members at the almost-empty restaurant. We sat ourselves after waiting 10 minutes. Then no one came to us with menus, while we were seated right in front of the same 2 managers / supervisors. We took our own menus after another 10 minutes. Rest of meal went ok, but, well, didn't know why the unpleasant entry happened. Needless to say, we never went back there for dinner.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Asperger_Singapore
Royal_Cliff_Hotels, General Manager at Royal Cliff Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to post such a glowing review and for highlighting your experiences.

We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff took good care of you!

We are glad to know that you have wonderful memories of your time with us. We cannot say enough about the magnificent and tranquil surroundings of Royal Cliff Hotels!

It is a great pleasure to read your opinion about our resort “exclusiveness & serenity” with excellent service and this is one of the reasons most travelers choose the Royal Cliff Hotels Group to spend their holidays with us. Your kind words are an inspiration for all of us to maintain our high quality service.

I have already shared your review and compliment with my entire team. They were very happy to know that they were able to offer you an excellent customer service and they feel motivated to continually maintain the high standard. The entire staff is one of the hallmarks of the service we strive to provide for every guest and they are the backbone of our resort.

Our warm welcomes make our guests feel at home, away from home.

However, I am disappointed and concerned to hear of your negative experience in our Panorama Restaurant.

This is definitely unacceptable and does not reflect our service standards. Please be assured that I have passed your feedback to our Food & Beverage Director so that he can look into it and to follow up on this incident and train the staff thoroughly again. It is particularly sad for us that we have not provided our normal standard of service to you.

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest!

Reviewed March 18, 2014

I read the reviews on trip advisor before choosing Royal Cliff and ironically it was encouraging, but unfortunately I was disappointed upon my arrival. First the hotel was very strict in the check in time, as we arrives at 10:30 in the morning after a 12 hours journey we were in a real need for sleep, they kept us waiting in the reception till 2:00pm. They also insists on taking the whole amount for our stay and not just a deposit, although we told then that we need to exchange money first! Another negative attitude from the staff is when the bell man took us to our room and he kept standing and doesn't want to leave the room without having his tips although we had not yet exchange money. Finally, because of our disappointment in the quality of the room ( which I can barely call 4 star hotel and not 5 ) we wanted to stay only one night instead of two, but the hotel refused to give us back our money and insisted on charging the full Mount of our stay! I will never repeat my visit to Royal Cliff Hotel

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to post your review. It is through such feedback that we can isolate issues and areas in need of attention.

Firstly allow me to apologies on behalf of my team for any inconvenienced caused during your stay with us. We were all deeply saddened to learn that you did not enjoy your stay. Your comment has been discussed amongst our team and we will work on the areas you have suggested.

I was very concerned to learn about the issue you encountered during check-in. We are pleased to accept requests for early arrival. While we are unable to guarantee early check-in, we will do our best to accommodate requests based on availability.

I am disappointed and concerned to hear of your room and bell boy negative experience. Your feedback is unusual and not consistent with other travelers’ reviews and with our commitment to providing customer service.

As a result of your feedback we have developed measures for improvement in our Customers Service and therefore your input is very much appreciated. A detailed discussion with the Front Office Team took place to stress the importance of attentive service to all our guests. The respective managers have taken initiative to follow up with re-training programs to avoid similar in the future.

Once again, thank you for choosing Royal Cliff Hotels Group – The State of Exclusivity & Fascination and please accept my apologies for not meeting your expectations on this occasion.

Easton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 18, 2014

We chosed to stay here for 5 nights because Dusit Thani Pattaya was sold out. We stayed in Grand building, club seaview room on the 9th floor. View from our room was good. There were two lounge chairs on the balcony. The balcony was roomy and there was a shower on the balcony, but we has never used it. King bed was two single beds put together so it was not comfortable at all. Club lounge was a joke. We went there one time for the entire 5 nights of our stay. There were two different kinds of cookies, soft drink, tea and coffee. Cookies tasted terrible. It was the worst club lounge we ever had. Don t pay extra money for it. Go somewhere else if you want club benefits. Our second night we found that 2 cigars of my husband were missing. It was a new box and we both knew for sure that he had only one cigar. There were only us and the house keepers who had the room keys. The hotel did the investigation, but they could not find the evidence. It was a morning shift house keeper. She refused and said that we were in the room when she was cleaning. We were not in the room. We were laying on the lounge chairs on the balcony and we did not know that she was cleaning our room. She opened the door to the balcony and talked to me in Thai, I don t know you are out here. The room is done. Happy hour was not a real happy hour. It was supposed to be from 5p-7p for the happy hour, half price for the drinks. We went there a little bit after 5p and ordered two drinks. When we got the bill it was full price. The lady at the bar told us that the drinks we ordered were not in the half price list for happy hour. Noone ever showed us the half price lists before ordering. We booked the tennis court from 7-9 in am. Because it rained the day before there was a lot of water on the court. I asked the staff to take care of the problem. We were waiting 10 minutes, nobody showed up. Finally I had to yell out loud for someone to come and cleaned up the court. The first staff only cleaned up inside the court, not behind the baseline. We had to asked the second staff who brought us towels and water to clean up the court again. This is so call 5 stars hotel. We stayed club seaview plus we had to pay for the court 250 baht per hour (around 8 USD per hour). We did not have to pay for the court at Dusit Thani Pattaya for the same kind of room. All the club benefits are 100 times better than Royal cliff. We chosed to stay at the hotel with tennis courts all the time. They got the courts ready for the guests always. Even none five stars hotel that we did not have to pay for the courts. The condition of the courts were quite good at the Cliff, it was sad that they had problem with management. Worst of all the day before our last day at the Cliff, my husband fell at the entrance of the pool with swim up bar. The pool entrance was slippery and no where to find the warning sign. The life guard came to help him and told him to hold up to the rail. It would be helpful if the hotel had the sign for slippery entrance. When I walked in the pool, it was slippery entrance. At first my husband did not think he would have any problem with his knee and foot, right side. The last 12 days of our vacation at different hotel we could not play tennis or walk a lot because of my husband knee. We will never go back to The Cliff and will not reccommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Usa20142014
Royal_Cliff_Hotels, Manager at Royal Cliff Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Warm greetings! Thank you for choosing Royal Cliff Hotels Group on your recent visit to Pattaya.

We also thank you for your time to share your feedback because it provides an opportunity for improvement.

I was happy to read your positive remarks about the hotel facilities and tennis courts.

However we are deeply saddened to know that we were not able to provide you with a satisfactory experience during your recent stay. Your comments on the service at the tennis court, bar service and the Lotus Lounge have been shared with the heads of department concerned. They have already taken the necessary measures in order to fix those areas.

Further, we are glad to share with you that that we have invested heavily in training (amongst others – English, service) and can assure you that on your next visit you will get to experience the "true Royal Cliff hospitality".

We appreciate you alerting us on these issues and we hope you will give us a second chance whenever you return to Pattaya. We can guarantee a much better experience.

Warm regards,

Robert Schnabel

Resident Manager
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2014

After my husband wrote a review regarding this hotel I thought it only fair to comment on the response by this fantastic hotel. We are staying here for 3 weeks and had a few minor niggles regarding noise from a group staying that are attending a conference and some really minor issues over breakfast.. We were contacted within hours by the manager himself no less, the problems as minor as they seemed were listened to and the response was amazing. We we're shown two other rooms in a quieter part of the hotel and then a team came to our room and moved us to a beautiful Thai style room on the terrace, nothing but nothing seemed too much trouble and we were made to feel like VIP's.. The really minor issue regarding breakfast coffee also vanished, the team again made every effort 'above and beyond' so imagine how if rather than post negative comments when you have left the hotel you discuss your issues whilst here instead?

We can only thank the rowdy group staying for the conference now as well as the amazing hotel staff and in particular the truly hands on Manager.. Professional in every sense and a resolution for us we could only ever have dreamed for. We will certainly be booking again!

The hotel by the way is in every way 5 star.... Amazing views, amazing staff... Food to die for.. It's the little things that make a great hotel and this place has shown it truly cares for its customers.

Thank you!

Mr and Mrs D'Ray

Room Tip: Pay a little more, get the beach terrace.... We certainly will in future.. Awesome rooms, great view...