“Good choice for Pattaya”

AVANI Pattaya Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 466 Hotels in Pattaya
Reviewed December 6, 2012

The Hotel is a little bit outdated but the hotel staff is great and very polite. Considering the central location, when you are inside the hotel you cannot feel all the mess of the outside Pattaya. The swimming pool is nice but water was too cold for my taste. Not relaxing. In addition a bad smell is always present in the swimming pool if relaxing neat the parrot cage. Maybe clean it would be a good idea. The room service food came fast and it was good. However the in room amenities are not as Marriott standard I believe...Not a great choice of english channels and no power supply near the bed. The in room coffee was as awful as the one served in the pool bar and restaurant. In other Marriott properties in Bangkok the coffee is much much better.
The bed is comfortable and the room is very clean but a bit old. Overall I think it's overpriced.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Dylan C, Manager at AVANI Pattaya Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Greetings from the Pattaya Marriott Resort and Spa. Thank you for taking time to share your recent experience at our resort with other valued trip advisor readers and followers.

The team and I are very glad to receive your constructive feedback and overall positive review.

I have in particular noted your comments regarding the pool temperature and the bad smell in a certain areas of the pool surrounds. We have also welcomed your comments regarding room amenities, coffee taste, in room television channel variety and overall value for money.

I am pleased to inform you and other trip advisor followers that we are close to completing an upgrade for the TV systems across all guest rooms from an analouge system to digital. Improved channel selection will also be featured as part of the upgrade.

Our pool team and public area team will continue to work hard to ensure the surrounding area is kept clean and oudor free at all times. For this I would like to offer a sincere apology and thank you for the feedback on this.

Regarding water temperature of the pool, this one will be a harder challenge as the tropical oasis pool relies on the usual hot climate and tropical weather conditions to warm the water. (This is common for most pools in Thailand). Water temperatures of 32 degrees celcius and above is usually achieved as hot weather is normally the standard throughout the year. For other trip advisor readers, please note a recent unseasonal extended raining season seems to have temporarily effected the pool temp more than usual over the past few weeks only. We will continue to monitor water temperature closely.

The food and beverage team also understands the importance of having great coffee available to all guests. Coffee standards in room and in our lobby bar area are currently under review with brands such as Illy and Lavazza at the top of the list. Amenity improvements are also under review at the moment for 2013.

Your positive feedback for our room service and overall comfort of bedding has also been well received. Thank you.

Dear writer, whether you plan to return from Singapore for business or leisure, our resort team and myself are always at your service and always looking for ways to provide increased levels of value for money for all guests.

If you would like to provide any further points or feedback to help our team and service improve, please feel free to contact me directly by email via dcounsel@minornet.com .

Myself and the team look forward to another chance to welcome you back soon!

Best Regards

Dylan Counsel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,624)

Reviewed December 6, 2012

This is rated has 5 star, and certainly the rooms are nice, the lobby is enormous but void of atmosphere. Staff are great.
BUT!!! If you want a hot soak in the bath forget it the water is only warm, (did not even turn on the cold tap) no in-room movies, there is a list of out-dated DVDs for free use, but zero where available. A big let down, as compared to other hotels I have stayed at , on my many trips to thailand, really poor value for money.

Room Tip: club lounge is quite small considering the huge number of rooms but offers very good service
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts, comments and feedback with other valued trip advisor readers and the management of the resort.

Your constructive feedback given has gone a long way to helping our team improve certain areas of the business for future guests.

I have in particular noted your comments regarding the water temperature of the Terrace Suite and the DVD selection available in additional to overall value for money. Please accept our sincere apology for any inconvenience caused and for not delivering services to your expectations.

Our team is working hard to address the issue of hot water in a few of the individual Terrace Suite room types. As this doesn’t seem to be an issue across all rooms, I am confident our team will be able increase the heating capacity of the particular room type you have stayed in to ensure this problem is addressed quickly for future guests.

Available DVD selection has also been reviewed as a result of your feedback, with a number of new releases now available for terrace suite guests to enjoy. As mentioned in a previous trip advisor response, I am also pleased to inform you and other trip advisor followers that we are close to completing an upgrade for the TV systems across all guest rooms from an analogue system to digital. An improved channel selection and pay per view movie selection of new release and classics will be available shortly for all guests to enjoy.

Your positive feedback for professional services received in our executive club lounge has also been well received. Thank you.

Dear writer, if you would like to provide any further points or feedback to help our team and service improve, please feel free to contact me directly by email via dcounsel@minornet.com .

Myself and the team look forward to another opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Best Regards

Dylan Counsel

Reviewed December 3, 2012

I was able to book a pay for 2 and stay for 3 night deal. I found the per night rate to be quite good and as a Marriott rewards member I received free internet. The rooms were quite large with private balcony looking over the pool. The room was quite modern and the bed comfy, the only negative is that the bathroom could be more updated (separate shower and tub). I had one issue with the woman at the gym (I gave her the wrong room number and she accused me of being from a different hotel without even verifying). After I spoke to management, I had the employee and gym manager personally apologize. I understand the woman, I just don't think that she handled it very well. Anyway, I did receive free polo shirts that were embroidered with my initials. I would suggest anyone to who wants to stay somewhere quiet within all the chaos to choose this place.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 2, 2012

In its day, this grand olde dame was one of the smartest places to stay.It still has one of the best locations, adjoining a great shopping centre and roughly in the middle of the Pattaya beachfront. But, unfortunately it is starting to look its age. With new hotels like the Hilton and the Sheraton competing for upmarket customers, the Marriott has to be losing ground. The pool area is still great, but the public areas and the rooms need a good overhaul. During our stay, there seemed to be many noisy children around, some waking up very early and entertaining themselves by knocking on our door. But that's not really the management's fault. Overall, my feeling is that it is time for the owners to spend some money or else this lovely hotel will continue its slide into oblivion.

Room Tip: The cheaper garden view rooms are fine. Don't waste money on a seaview, half of those only have...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2012

During my stay in Bangkok I chose to stay for the weekend in Pattaya, as I've heard much about this seaside resort. The premises were a wonderful mixture of modern and traditional elements, for example the rooms were very modern, well equiped, however the surrounding were very Thai traditional. The pool was one of the best I've ever been. On top of all these, I was particularly impressed by the initiative of the hotel manager to raise awareness on children sexual exploitation. There were posters in the lifts alerting on the issue and encouraging people to report if they noticed any such incident. I personally found it very daring and I think it takes quite some courage to do that in a high profile touristic place. However, that was brilliant. And of course, needless to say there was the usual and traditional exquisite Thai hospitality and kindness everywhere. Very satisfied.

Room Tip: Choose one with Gulf of Siam view - mine gave a mixture of the city life and the sea freedom. Nice b...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Marriott Pattaya is a beautiful resort in the centre of a mad city. Once you enter the resort (off the street), you leave the craziness outside. If you want some fun, you get off your sun lounger by the pool and walk 50 yards outside. The Hotel has decent bars and restaurants. The Spa is a little tired. All the staff are extremely friendly and cant do enough for you. If you book a club room, the extras you get are great - exec lounge, laundry, breakfast, wifi and many other things - really worth the extra.

Room Tip: upgrade to a club room or garden suite
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 22, 2012

I had a problem with Pattaya simply because of the city, so my opinion of The Marriott is probably as a result of that negative attitude.

Let me explain about the city: it is dirty, sleazy and unfriendly. I did not find anything redeeming about it at all. Such a pity as I adore Bangkok, and expected Pattaya to be a beach extension of the City of Angels. It was not.

The hotel: well, it was ok. A little dated, but on the whole it offered standard Marriott quality. The rooms were large and clean, the communal areas were pleasant enough.
The hotel restaurant was terrible. Our starters arrived mid-way through our main course, one of our party didn't even have a main course appear, and my pad thai with chicken had some kind of fish without a shred of chicken in sight. The serving staff were not remotely interested in our complaints, and just shrugged their shoulders.

My recommendation: avoid Pattaya.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends