“Could be perfect”
Review of Baan Souy

Baan Souy
Ranked #1 of 544 Specialty Lodging in Pattaya
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I don't like to find fault in this resort because overall I had an enjoyable stay, I intend to stay here again, and the owners Jim and Gordon and manager Carlos bend over backwards to please. However, I think it would only take a few changes to make the place perfect.
Firstly the positives: lots of space and privacy, pristine spacious rooms, reliable wifi internet access everywhere, nice pool and spa set in exotic gardens, lots of sun and sun lounges, quiet location (midway between Jomtien beach and downtown Pattaya), lovely Friday night cocktail party, good gym, no children, and friendly staff.
Only negative: the food. While always fresh, the food is very limited and comes from a menu you would expect to find in country motels in the 60's, i.e. completely lacking in any sophistication. Now while this is typical of many western establishments in Thailand (even the apparent up-market restaurant called Manhattan around the corner does little better) you would think that given the target market of Baan Souy, there would be a food menu with a bit more zip. Why not Salad Nicoise rather than tuna salad, bircher muesli rather than muesli with milk, fruit smoothies rather than just fruit juice, wholemeal or rye bread rather than processed white/brown bread, and why all the mayo and everything garnished with ubiquitous cole slaw and potato crisps from a bag? And, although this is Thailand, not a fresh mango to be seen!
To be fair, each room has a kitchenette so you could self cater to some extent. Also, the staff will attempt to prepare whatever you want but it took me a week to realise that I could have smoked salmon on scrambled eggs rather than a full English breakfast, as delicious and decadent as that might be on occasion!
Carlos promises me that he is going to revise the menus so maybe when I return, the food offerings will be vastly improved. Baan Souy will certainly deserve full star rating if this is the case.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Jim L, Owner at Baan Souy, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review. We have taken note of your comments and agree that our menu is a bit boring. We are currently working with our Chef on creating new dishes and we hope that once finished our guest will enjoy the changes we make. New menus will also be printed with photos of the dishes we will be serving which will help the guests who are not familiar with our local food to make a good choice.
Again thank you and hope to see you back at Baan Souy soon.
Jim Lumsden
Manager/Owner

Reviewed May 25, 2013

We had a wonderful time at Baan Souy. we stayed for 3 weeks and found the resort to be perfect in everyway. Thanks to Jim, Gordon, Carlos and all staff for making us feel so welcome. We would definitely recommend Baan Souy and would always go back to stay if ever in Pattaya again. Jim is wonderful and a real hoot. Rooms are fantastic, spacious and beds are very comfortable. We enjoyed the resort so much that we didn't want to leave and preferred to stay in rather than go into town. One of the best resorts we've ever stayed at! 10/10

Room Tip: All rooms are great. we had a pool side room which was perfect.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 25, 2013

2nd time I have been here, and as expected I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Not only the rooms and facilities were great, but they even had entertainment on occasions along with new guest drinks' evening, absolutely great. Straight-friendly also, the mix was great. And also the breakfast was inclusive of the price, not many places do that. Love having the swimming pool literally outside the door. The staff are very friendly also. Can't praise this place enough.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 16, 2013

After a peaceful 11 day stay at Baan Souy, I was ready for anything the Universe could throw at me. Thank you to Jim & Gordon, your fantastic Staff, for the attention to detail in the room decor, lush linens, well stocked kitchenette, and cleanliness. This tropical oasis in between the hustle and bustle of Pattaya, and beaches of Jomtien, may not be everyones cup of tea. Gay, Straight, or somewhere in between, everyone was friendly around the great lap pool, some sharing travel stories at the Pool Bar during the Friday evening "Icebreaker party", or over one of the three breakfast choices in the dining room. A Tuk Tuk is available, if you don't care to walk a short distance up the road, to catch one of the local truck taxi's which will take you to Jomtien, or Pattaya for only 10 baht.

It's no wonder so many of Jim's guest's have returned over and over again to kick back and enjoy the Baan Souy experience. For myself, a single studio overlooking the pool, was a perfect choice. Lot's of space, a table and chairs on my balcony to sit and read, or enjoy a morning coffee and breakfast, and a invigorating rain shower, to prepare me for another evening in paradise. Spot On!

Room Tip: I had room 402, in a corner, overlooking the pool, and enjoyed the quiet, away from the street in th...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 10, 2013

A supremely efficient and well run operation. I was met at the airport at the gate advised and whisked away with no delay whatsoever. Room was beautifully appointed with quality bedding & furnishings. Staff were informed, courteous and ever so helpful. I took a 4th floor suite which overlooked the pool, The suite was very spacious with excellent aircons. Food quality in the coffee shop type restaurant was of a high standard. Meeting others at breakfast is not usually something I get involved with but the other residents were quite delightful and an interesting eclectic mixture of varying nationalities.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms seem to suit those who love the pool and want to be close to the gym.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Recently my partner and I visited Baan Souy and had a relaxing and tranquil time. This was our 6th visit, we have been there just us, with my parents, various friends, my brother and his family and for a friends 50th birthday party weekend and everytime it has exceeded all expectations. We have been living in Thailand now for 7 years and if we want to get away relax and recharge the batteries there is nowhere better than Baan Souy. If its lying around the pool having tasty snacks and cocktails, floating in the pool on a floaty thing or simply chilling out in your spacious comfortable room (lacking in no detail), having room service and watching a movie Baan Souy does it all. The location is great its easy to get to Jomtien beach or go into Pattaya its only a short ride on the songtaew. The staff are friendly and accomodating and nothing is any trouble. Reception is helpful and a wealth of knowledge of whats on and if they dont know they will find out for you. Baan Souy is a credit to its wonderful owners.

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautifully furnished and spacious.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Not sure if I can add anything that has not already been said. Spent 4 wonderful days at Baan Souy, a wonderfully relaxing way to end our Asia adventure. Jim and the rest of the staff were fantastic, we made new friends with other hotel guests...and the pool....it was the best! Everything is top notch and there are a number of great restaurants just a short walk from the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple