“The Best Resort.”

Ranked #1 of 493 Specialty Lodging in Pattaya
Sydney, Australia
“The Best Resort.”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I was not aware this was a Gay Resort i saw NO children, So yes i booked.My husband mum and myself stayed for 1mth.And we had the best time ever.Met some great people.Love the Friday Night Ice Breaker party.Jim is such a great person.All the staff make you feel welcome.Its a resort you can chill out.And love Jim's shows .My husband and i have been going to Thailand for 8yrs now, i have never been in a pool.Untill i stayed at Baan Souy. It was so nice and relaxing. Love that place and the staff are great.Felt so welcome.Thanks Jim.We will be back and yes we are straight but everyone treats you the same.

Room Tip: Ask for 604 large and very cool.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Dronten Holland
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We couldn't have made a better chose.
Excellent rooms, big and clean.
Very pleasent service, although it would be nice when waiters speak better English.
Baan Souy resort is a place to make easy contact with orher guest.
Johan and Aat

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Johan K
Reviewed February 13, 2013

First time I have taken to writing a review. I am used to staying in luxury resorts and was visiting Pattaya to meet some friends who were there on an extended stay. I was very wary about going to Pattaya having seen some TV documentaries but fortunately my friends knew Jim Lumsden and recommended the Baan Souy (translated is House Beautiful which it is) A lot of thought has gone into the detail and my one bedroom suite was amazing as was the resort as a whole. Yes I also found the language a problem at times but I took the trouble to learn some basic Thai words which the staff really appreciated.
Spending time around the pool during the day I felt I was enjoying the facilities of an exclusive private club and prices were extremely good compared to what one would find in a 5 star resort. I was already booked for a trip to Phuket later in the year but I am now looking at changing my destination primarily because of the Baan Souy. Pattaya is not a destination to everyone's tastes but being able to find somewhere as tranquil as this resort knowing there is plenty night life just down the road if you want it surprised me and I cannot wait for my next visit. Guys, thanks again for an amazing time.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Derek H
Bali, Indonesia
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Check-in for 2 nights from the initial plan due to the fact that we love the layout of the room and the whole atmosphere when we visit the place at night and straight away made the reservation and paid for two nights.

Next day we come to do the check-in, was OK the room were prepared and there is no such big thing.

At the very last day of breakfast (Breakfast was included) I was served by tall Asian looking guy (Local?) with quite limited knowledge about service. I was ordering fruit only and asked nicely what kind of fruit is in the fruit platter? His respond only yes we have, ask again and he repetitive his answer. Anyway I order the pineapple only since I clueless with Thai languages to find that the sliced pineapple almost frozen. I asked the waiter if they have the fresh one and not cold, which he respond in quite high voice from the bar next to the kitchen entrance "Darling, No Have"

I end up just taking coffee instead.

Before we go to the check-in counter to do our check-out, I double check the invoice to find that it was on my friend name who happen to be a caucasian. Quite annoyed, I asked the reception who prepare our checking out and he keep on saying that maybe because I wasn't register. I said to him that I gave my passport and my friend too, also I stated that I hand it out my own credit card during the reservation which is automatically charged in full the other night. Is Asian consider lower by the hotel staff?

As the owner of the resort in Bali, I am quite displeased in how the staff handling such thing and tend to presume on appearance

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Wijaya_Randu
Jim L, Owner at Baan Souy, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
I am sorry that you seemed to have had a bad experience in our breakfast room. Since I read your review I have personaly overseen the breakfast routine and re-trained the staff on the breakfast procedure. We are currently organinzing the breakfast to be served buffet style at the poolside which will be ready by end of February. We normally have 4 fruit selections available everyday on the b Breakfast Fruit Platter.
It is normal for the hotel accounts to show the name of the person who made the reservation as the one who would settle the bill, unless otherwise requested at the time of check -in by the guest.
finally we never consider any guest no matter what nationality to be less important and we endeavouor to treat everyone with the same respect and attention. I hope that you will visit us again alet you see that we are at all times aiming to please our guests.
Jim Lumsden Owner
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Thank you Jim, Gordon and ALL the staff for a wonderful stay!
It's not often that my expectations are exceeded, but I must admit the service, atmosphere and infrastructure at Been Souy are all brilliant! I will not hesitate to return, and have already recommended this little slice of heaven to friends and colleagues.
The best thing about this resort (in my eyes) is the lack of attitude. Everyone (including the guests) is welcoming, no matter your race, colour, creed, age or sexual orientation. This makes for a quite unique experience, where everyone is equal and treated with respect and dignity. A true eye-opener for Pattaya.
Thank you all again, I'll be sure to return!
Best wishes
Nick

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank tanewhaiaipo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Bottom line: I highly recommend this hotel.
Splendid 2 week stay at Baan Souy. I stayed in another 4* hotel in town first before discovering the Baan Souy and I also stayed in another 4* hotel on the beach for 4 days in between. These were large hotels with good reviews, but the service and ambiance did not match the Baan Souy. I will recommend staying at Baan Souy to all my friends who are going to Pattaya. There are a few minor things that they can improve upon, but the things I really liked were: all day breakfast, dining on my balcony at night, meeting other guests, cleanliness, service with a smile, accomadating me when my dates changed, chatting with the owners of the hotel who have a really positive attitude to making you feel welcome and very genuine about making your stay enjoyable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Frequent_travel2013
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I had a wonderful 2 weeks stay in Baan Souy over New Year 2012/2013. Superb hotel, wonderful location midway between the buzz of Pattaya, and the lazy life at Dongtan Beach in Jomtien. The poolarea is beautiful and inviting, the sundecks excellent. The food is a chapter of its own. The café was sadly not too crowded, because the meny was extended and food superb. Rooms are very spacious and delightfully furbished. All through the hotel you could find beautiful pieces of art. Very tasteful and elegant.
On a more critical note, I recommend staffing up the breakfast service on busy days, as waiting time for room service was too long on certain days, but great breakfast was served with no extra charge to your private little area outside the room. Also, a telephone line from the sundeck could make service easier to obtain on 5th floor.
Overall, great place to stay, very friendly, and lots of activities for New Year. Great Friday Happy Hour with guests and management enjoying a drink and the company.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends