“Waste of money”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Bangkok
“Waste of money”
Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

I blame myself for this blunder of not reading tripadvisor reviews first. On the exterior it looks great except one thing I missed. There weren't a lot of people. As I sat down and connected to the free wifi, I noticed that the bar was connected to the marriott. My internal alarm bell went off so I braced myself for this impending disaster of a meal.

Exterior and cleanliness were great.
Some of the wait staff were excellent. Friendly and great with families. Some were downright rude and mean. Most were just average.
Menu selection was mediocre. Typical American fare with an occasional Thai dish (in case u have a companion)
The service was below average as we had to wait several minutes for drinks and/or food. If it wasn't for the street vendor selling shiny things that shoot up in the air, my kids would have been climbing up the walls.
The food was somewhere between "notverytasty" and "blah".

Up to this point, this restaurant would have received a solid C+. However, we wanted to order desert. We ordered the custard pudding to share with our kids. As soon as we ordered, they rushed out the check and practically forced us to pay right away. I didn't quite notice this as my wife paid. We paid the check then we waited. Waited waited waited for about 25 minutes until the pudding finally came. We couldn't cancel the order because we already paid. So we were stuck at their mercy. My kids were practically in tears because they were so tired.

Long story short, the pudding was not very tasty. In fact, it tasted like it came straight out of a can if pudding in a can is possible. We tried to send it back but encountered much resistance. After being passed around from waitress to waitress to bartender, he finally conceded to refund our money. We waited another ten minutes until the guy came with our 220thb. He was so extremely rude that I would never come back here unless I knew this guy was no linger working there and the meal was compd.

With so many selections in Pattyaya, why would anyone come here? Avoid it if at all possible. I blame myself for not reading the reviews before hand. Good luck

Visited January 2014
ChristopherDixon, Manager at Dicey Reilly's Pub & Eatery, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear Brian,
Firstly i would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review in relation to your visit to our Dicey Reilly's outlet in Pattaya. I have been manager here for 4 months now and have come to know the customers quite well and even though we have a large mix of both Expats and tourists visiting our Pub we strive to treat everyone in the same courteous manner. I have tried to track down the evening you visited our premises to accertain which members of staff were working that evening and as they are all assigned stations i would then be able to identify the member of staff who you say was rude to you, this is not acceptable in any of our outlets and i would appreciate it if you can remember the date you visited please let me know and i will look into your comments deeper. On the other hand i have found that things can sometimes get lost in Translation and the staff or customer can missunderstand exactly what is being said. I know all my staff personally and have yet to see or hear any of them being rude to a customer or guest in Dicey's so please when you have the time please let me know anymore information you may have to enable me to investigate this matter deeper.
In the meantime if you should be visiting Pattaya again i will be happy to sit down with you over a complimentary drink (of your choice) and resolve this complaint to your satisfaction.If you wish you can contact me directly on cjohndixon@minornet.com and i will be happy to discuss things with you.
Once again thank you for your feedback as we try to use this Media to constantly update and improve the service we give to our clients. i hope to hjear from you when yiou have time.

Kind Regards. Chris Dixon. ( Manager @ Dicey's )

• Korean first
  • Thai first
Phuket, Thailand
“Great experience”
Reviewed November 29, 2013

I visited Dicey Reilly,s on 16th November and not having visited Pattaya for a few years now i expected a lot of things to have changed locally. I found the staff very helpful and polite, they were very informative in relation to the Daily Special and although I did not order the special of the day I did select a meal from the main menu. My drink was served to me promptly in a nice cold glass and my meal arrived in an acceptable period of time. I found the meal to be very tasty and reasonably priced considering the surroundings. A band struck up whilst I ate my meal which gave a nice ambience to the bar so I decided to relax with another beer. I noticed they had a couple of pool tables which were free to play and the free Wifi was a great help as I needed to send a couple of emails. Once I finished, the hostess on the door thanked me and wished me a goodnight. Overall, I found the staff to be very friendly and I was satisfied with the service and cost of my trip to Dicey. Certainly wil be coming back!

1 Thank Jose_Phuket
Pattaya Thailand
“The ultimate thai rip off”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

I had a very bad experience at this 'place' I went in with a Thai lady and was immediately thought of as a tourist with a bar girl. Wrong. I have lived here for 14 years and the lady is a Thai nurse. We ordered two meals which would have cost about 800 baht. The lady was immediately given some sales talk about buying a T Bone steak for two. I queried this with the waitress and was told 'That is what your lady ordered' Which is a bit like letting your children order for you. The meal when it arrived would have been just about enough for one person. It was unedible and unordered and cost three times as much as if we had ordered what we wanted originally. This place is what gives Pattaya a bad name. Its just a glorified rip off machine selling crap food at extortionate prices

2 Thank KeithfromPattaya
ChristopherDixon, Manager at Dicey Reilly's Pub & Eatery, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear Keith,

I am sorry to hear you recent dining experience did not live up to your expectations. We are constantly training our staff to give the best possible service and product availability. We do sometimes have orders that can be "lost in translation" but this rarely happens when Thai native speaker is doing the ordering.

I deeply regret that you had an unpleasant experience while dining at Dicey's. We have taken note of your comments and we would like to get in contact with you. If you would be happy to contact me directly, I can be reached at cjohndixon@minornet.com and would be most grateful for the chance to speak with you.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Chris
Bangkok, Thailand
“Stunning mexican food ”
Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

They have a deal on for mexican food at the moment , 200 baht per dish , best mexican i have tasted in Pattays .
Although the mexican menu is only five dishes thry are all exallent .
Matgareta also for 99 baht
Live music to
Well recomended, cannot go wtong

London UK
“ABYSMAL”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Saw a promotional flyer for a post Halloween party on Nov 2nd which promoted a great party night with superb buffet and other scary stuff.

I researched Dicey Reilly's and it would seem this is part of the Marriot Hotel group so I knew it would not be cheap but thought it would be very nice I was very wrong.

The staff tried to make it a party atmosphere by something was missing and it felt like it was never going to go anywhere.

The staff were good but when we arrived without a booking they had to find us somewhere where we could sit to eat, and that they were very busy looking after the other customers as they had a lot of people that had pre booked, although they said they were full the place still seemed like it was only half full if even that strange no atmosphere at all.

There were two ladies singing on the stage with a man playing along to songs from a computer to be honest they were not very good I have seen much better around Pattaya.

I was shown to the buffet and as I had already ordered it for 2 and drinks (not included in the price) decided to give it a try, first I was very disappointed with the way it was presented it just looked like a typical breakfast buffet at any hotel a row of stainless steel roll top serving dishes.

A salad table which was not that great and another table with small sponge cakes for sweet

The food was as follows.
Homemade vegetable soup with rolls or bread & butter this was nice but cold,

Yorkshire puddings don't know why but they were very oily and not very nice,
Sweet & sour chicken in breadcrumbs this was okay.
Roast pork in black bean sauce this did not taste very good and looked to be undercooked, Roast potatoes these were not roast potatoes these were boiled new potatoes boiled then fried for about a minute and still had the skin on then sprinkled with some green leaf breakfast style horrible.
Roasted pumpkin which was like mashed pumpkin and was not tasty
Beef stew which was okay but it was not hot.
Fried rice with vegetables’.

For such a large venue in a very prominent position I would expect a better show.
I don't know how they thought that this was worth 399 baht per person plus drinks.

To be honest I was very disappointed and will vote with my feet by never returning.

• Visited November 2013
ChristopherDixon, General Manager at Dicey Reilly's Pub & Eatery, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
Thank you for your feedback in relation to our "Halloween Party Night" on 2nd November. Here at Dicey's we try to use customer comments to improve our service standards and quality of food. We appreciate all customer comments and the time they spend to actually put them on Tripadvisor.
I am not too sure of the time of your visit on that evening of if you were still in Dicey's when we had the fancy dress competition and the drinking competition, this was well supported by the customers in the pub at the time and as you know games and competitions can only be good if there is customer interaction and participation.
We marketed "Halloween" at a very reasonable cost of 399 Baht per person for buffet or 299 Baht per person for advance bookings and had a very positive response.
We always try to please our clients wether they are tourists or actually living locally and i would appreciate the chance to discuss your comments with you by mail or telephone. My contact details are as follows : cjohndixon@minornet.com or telephone 0890558904.
Best regards Chris.