“Hidden Gem”

Somsakdi's Resturant
Ranked #577 of 1,084 Restaurants in Pattaya
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Adjoining the Nantra de Boutique hotel Pattaya..
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I stayed at the amari hotel and some other guests told me about this place.

It is a traditional thai family place but also caters for those who only want western food.

The menu is extensive but all at a reasonable price. The portions were very big.

2  Thank leethomaswales

Reviewed August 29, 2012

If in Pattaya, find your way to Somsakdi's Restaurant - the service is amazing, the owner of the restaurant has great stories to tell and is just very entertaining. We have eaten here several times, in 2011 & 2012 - it really is one of the best we have found in Pattaya. Great food, great service, great atmosphere. If I was ever to find myself in Pattaya again (very unlikely) I would definitely go back to Somsakdi's. And yes have the flaming chicken, tastes great but good fun too.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

I live in Pattaya and this is the place I go when I want good quality reasonably priced Thai food. The clientele is usually older western guys who live in Pattaya, and Thai families.

I have not found better Thai food for the price, in Pattaya. I have the larb bpla (minced fish with herbs) almost every time I visit, and it never disappoints. Everything else I have tried has also been very good, and affordable by Western standards (but not "cheap", by Thai standards).

The owner (Khun Somsak) has run the restaurant for 30+ years, and I am guessing that it has not changed too much in that time. I am not sure how/if he makes money, as the quality of the ingredients is very good, there are always fresh flowers on the tables, he uses cloth tablecloths, and there are lots of mosquito coils to keep the mosquitoes away.

Note that the restaurant is not air conditioned (although there are plenty of fans and it is never uncomfortably warm), and it is open on three sides, so you do get the usual lizards and cats running around. You have to be ok with that if you visit.

Reviewed June 10, 2012

We have been regular visitors to Pattaya for 12 years and found Somsaks by chance a few years ago. We must have eaten in there 20 times since and have never ever been less than delighted by the food and friendly service. If you like proper good quality Thai food in a truly atmospheric traditional Thai setting at very reasonable prices then give Somsaks a try - I would be very surprised if you were disappointed. It's half way up Soi 1 which is close to Holiday Inn and Markland Condo off beach road.

2  Thank deborahandmartin
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Video contribution captures their specialty Jameson Irish Coffee which was a real treat.

Regrettably, one highlight that the video missed was their poached chicken that was marinated overnight and then lit-up with fire on the table in front of us. Made it extra crispy on the outside and it was then dipped into a spice bowl for an extra tangy flavor. Not just spectacular, but delicious.

Highly recommended if you are looking for some quality Thai food.