“Can't keep away”

Cafe des Amis
Ranked #1 of 1,001 Restaurants in Pattaya
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Sorry No bookings by email, Please use the telephone. Choose from 2 sittings, 5.30pm until 8.30pm then 8.30pm until late. Elegant Dining, French and European cuisine. Pattaya's most varied world class selection of imported beef from Aus, USA, Japan. Snow fish, oysters lobster scallops, large wine list, well stocked bar with lounge, fine spirits, cocktails, the largest Gin selection in Thailand 70+ Gins, 25 Vodkas, 40 Whiskeys. Indoor and outdoor dining areas, Romantic restaurant. Perfect for a birthday anniversary or family celebration. Cafe des Amis is elegant but relaxed and not stuffy or posh. We are not perfect, we do not claim to be the best restaurant in town. We genuinely aspire to the challenges of keeping every customer happy and providing a high class eatery for the area. Our dress code is casual smart: please do not be scruffy or beach attire or football shirts. Smart Shorts and sandals are acceptable. Our garden terrace dining area is perfect for children to play and people who are under dressed for the main dining room. Please use Grab Taxi app, or Uber to get to us we are located 1km from Bali High pier, walking street. close to Pratumnak.
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This restaurant is one of the very best in food presentation and taste. The staff are fantastic and the owner (Blu) has to be one of the friendly people I have ever met. His passion for the food and service is without exception. As the title says "we can't keep away"

1  Thank James Norman M
There are newer reviews for Cafe des Amis

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Visiting this restaurant each time we are in town.
Blue, the owner (not sure how ti write his name) is the best restaurant owner I've met!
He is driven with passion, has the best waiters, and his food is tastefull, well served and a pleasure to see your plate.
We've been there with small groups and several times with a table of 8, and each time all food is same time served, well warm and always fresh and a pleasure to eat.

1  Thank ErikSongjiang
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I'm becoming more of a regular at this little find, I love the location and that its off the main road and hidden a little bit, it's a little gem.

I enjoy dining outside as well as inside, both are good choices for me and the service has always been excellent, even when they restaurant is jammed things only slow down a tad, as you would expect.

The choice of music is also excellent and fits in with my taste to even go there for casual drinks at the bar.

This is also a place you can go solo and strike up some interesting conversation with one of the many locals that also have this place on their favorite list.

The owner is very knowledgable on what's on his menu and his wine list and has some fantastic recommendations.

The Argentinian steak is one of my favorites there now, it's not the most expensive on the menu as it's just one under their US prime, but I simply prefer the Argentinian medium rare, it's like a steak that melts in your mouth! As I'm a huge pea fan, I simply order some peas at the same time too.

The house wine is an excellent choice, which is La Minga (very smooth and must try)
It's hard for me to fault anything at Cafe Des Amis as I can see the owner (Blu) and his wife try very hard to continually make improvements

I'm already looking forward to my next visit.

1  Thank Jobby F
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Thsi restaurant has it all, best service, best food and prices are acceptable, the only problem this restaurant always has again and again is that when they get a few tables at the same time, the kitchen becomes very slow, quality is extremely high and worth to wait for it, but make sure you are not in a hurry, plenty of parking in front of the restaurant, but need attention to find it, as it is in a back road, atmosphere is great and luxury

bradbury99, Owner at Cafe des Amis, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Hi Eric, Thank You for your very nice comments and constructive points about when we are busy. As with any successful and growing business we have had to evolve and improve to satisfy the increasing demands, we recently doubled the size of our kitchens and increased staff by 40% to meet demands and plan to continue improving our staff and facilities and constantly offering new exciting dishes. see you soon. regards Blu.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Didn't know about the rating on TA until returning home and checking out what others had to say about this restaurant. The ranking was a bit surprising, in view of its location a few hundred meters off the main road.

I went there during midweek at the beginning of the low season and given its somewhat quiet location, I was worried whether I might be on my own with a bored kitchen and service crew, as was the case just a few days earlier in another place nearby. Arriving around 9 p.m. I found a good number of shiny limousines parked outside, indicating I might not be the only guest. To the contrary, on entering I was asked to wait for a moment, as the waitress wasn't sure whether a table would be on hand. I actually got the last small table that was available, the restaurant being about 80% occupied, not bad for a low season evening.

I ordered a glass of white wine and two standard, run-off-the-mill dishes: Caesar's Salad with chicken meat and a seabass. The waiter told me (wrongly) that there was no caraffe of wine available (not the one I chose, but others), brought a basket of bread, but forgot the wine. Later on female staff showed up, running pretty smooth service from then onwards. The bread was standard quality, not particularly good, but ok.  The proprietor stopped by to say welcome, asking whether everything was fine, wishing a nice evening. He did so again toward the end of the meal.

The Caesar Salad was excellent; certainly the best I had in Thailand outside Bangkok. The chicken meat was mildly seasoned and exactly a point. The same I could not say of the seabass, which was a bit of a let-down. The fish was dry, although rice and vegetables were nicely done. I guess the kitchen got a bit loaded with two birthday parties that evening and probably forgot the fish for a few moments, which was enough to kill it off. However, the main course wasn't spoiled altogether, so I said nothing since everything else was fine (I would have preferred them to overcook the vegetables rather than the fish).

Apart from that and a forgotten coffee at the end of the meal, it was a very pleasant evening. If you want to read, I recommend you to bring a torch. The lighting in the restaurant is too dark, imho, but the soft lighting might be in favour with the clientele. Anyway I read the papers afterwards in the  lounge, which was rather lively around the bar.

In conclusion I would say the ranking on TA is not accidental; this is a very well run operation.  Judging by two recent visits to other restaurants in the neighbourhood with similar clientele, I think that both food and wines are fairly priced and you won't find much better anywhere along Jomtien or in Pattaya. And, oh, "Cafe des Amis": no worries about having to dust off your school French to place an order; except for a table with German guests, (British) English and Thai were the only voices I heard that evening.

1  Thank tom317b