“Not 5-star, only pool is worth visiting”

Centara Grand Mirage Beach Resort Pattaya
Ranked #11 of 458 Hotels in Pattaya
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We spent a weekend in this hotel. Normally we spend our Pattaya weekends in Hilton Pattaya, which is only slightly more expensive, but it's a world away from Centara in terms of service and general appearance.

This hotel is huge, and it's quite visible that the staff are tired of the crowds. Friendliness and attention are not their piece of cake. The only thing that makes this hotel really worth staying is the enormous pool and the lazy river with slides.

What was NOT okay at all:
1) 2 hours after check-in our extra bed was still not installed. Bedtime for the kids was approaching.

2) So we called the "call-centre", nobody picked up for 25 (!!!!) minutes!! Same thing was with the concierge which I called just to check whether there was actually anyone alive to help us.

3) On the next day we stayed at the pool until about 1 pm, and when we came back to the room, we found out it hadn't been cleaned yet. I repeat, at 1pm!!! We called the "call-centre" once again and were lucky to have somebody pick up the phone. We expressed out dissatisfaction, and mentioned that we wouldn't want to come back to this hotel after all we had experienced. The staff on the phone said - "OK", no apologies, nothing.

4) At the pool bar I ordered a strawberry shake and a banana shake, having had asked twice not to put any sweetener into the drink. However, I could see from the pool that the barista was putting some kind of concentrate into the blender cup. And no, I didn't see any single banana or strawberry while she was preparing it. After having received the shakes and having done a sip, I found there were undrinkable and the flavor was totally artificial. I complained, but no refund was offered.

5) I didn't like the idea of making the bathroom a part of your actual room. First of all, it looks like you're staying in a cheap motel, not a 5-star hotel, and second, it doesn't keep the water noise away, so you can't really shower if somebody in your room is sleeping.

6) My husband was repeatedly approached by staff members in the pool and beach area, who asked them to tell his name and room number. I understand all the fuss about security, but he had shown his key card, which some how wasn't enough for those guys to see he is a hotel guest. And they were NOT friendly, too. Particularly the guard at the beach and the one who sits beside the biggest slide at the lazy river.

All in all only the pool was a positive experience. Unfortunately only in-house guests are allowed to use it, otherwise we would be happy to stay somewhere else and come to use pool facilities of Centara Grand Mirage for extra money.

3  Thank greencrystalline
eamrooms, Manager at Centara Grand Mirage Beach Resort Pattaya, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2013

Dear greencrystalline,

We thank you for your time to comment on tripadvisor.com on your recent stay in our hotel. We have taken good note of your comments about our Front Office, Housekeeping, Food & Beverage and Security departments and have implemented corrective actions to avoid such shortfalls from happening again.

There are newer reviews for Centara Grand Mirage Beach Resort Pattaya

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We spent a weekend here with the whole family and really enjoyed the pools. The lazy river is very nice, the water slides add a nice fun touch, and the landscaping around the pools is pretty terrific given the small space the hotel consumes on this tiny stretch of beach. But in the intense heat, you immediately notice that everyone around the pool and throughout the property has their shoes on. The stones, even directly next to the pool are brutally hot and you cannot walk anywhere without putting your shoes back on. That's unfortunate and frankly a real problem. We moved to the sandy area near one of the pools just to save the kids' feet, but there was a lot of trash, wrappers, plastic bags and other garbage around our beach chairs, and it just felt dirty. Not the hallmark of a five star property.

There are so many people at this resort I think it must be hard to keep up. The place is designed for giant crowds, with row after row of beach loungers and just about no place to find a touch of privacy. The service was great, though. Ring the drink buzzer and a waiter would show up in under a minute, pretty terrific considering the vast numbers of people around the property looking for service. Still, just about every place on the property is loud and a bit overwhelming.

We upgraded to Club rooms and used the lounge on the 12th floor. Very nice, but it wasn't a quiet retreat during the day, as plenty of other families with small kids were using the club too. Snacks there were nice and the service, as with the entire hotel, was great.

This is, above all, a family place, which worked fine for us but you just have to know what you're getting into. It's great if you have small kids, and the pools themselves are geared in part to little ones, so it was quite safe for my young son. There's alot to really like about this resort, but if you are looking for any kind of quiet or don't like to be around large numbers of families kids, whether on line at breakfast or around the pool, this probably isn't the resort for you.

1  Thank DaveMom

Dear DaveMom,

We thank you for your time to comment on tripadvisor.com on your recent stay in our hotel. We thank you for your postivie comments about some of our services and resort grounds. We have taken good note of your comments about waste collection around the pools and have informed the department concerned for immediate action and consistency in the future.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Imagine 555 rooms -- with only 3 elevators on each side of the building, only 2 check in at receptions -- took us 30 mins to check in, endless wait for elevators everytime you go up and down. Now imagine the breakfast buffet -- long queue if you get there after 8am, food is not great either, so we had just eggs, bread and fruit most of the time. Not pleasant at all. The rooms are not cheap either. We booked a family suite with master bedroom and bunk bed for 2 children. Bunk bed is pretty nice, living area is sparse with really low grade furniture, with a really large balcony -- puzzling, without any drying utensils or rack for wet swim stuff - this is a water theme resort?. Our suite faced the side that is really busy and noisy with tour buses all night. Prepare for bruises when you bring the kids to the water slides and pools -- the edges are built of large rocks with rough surfaces and edges. All of us had cuts and bruises on our feet. You need to sign a form to absolve the resort from any injury liability. Perhaps most infuriating was when we called the hotel to notify of the long queue at check in, we were told to come back at 2.30PM -- when we were advised to check in at 1PM when we made the reservation. We were glad to leave after 2 nights for another resort nearby.

Room Tip: don't go.
4  Thank steven t

Dear Steven t,

We thank you for your time to comment on tripadvisor.com on your recent stay in our hotel. We regret to learn that our services and facilities have not met your expectations and have taken good note of your comments in order to promote the necessary improvements.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

The grounds and facilities are grand and well worth the look, it is visually stunning. I can see how families would love to stay here.
That said, my husband and I were disappointed with our stay and won't be returning - the resort was extremely busy and the queue at check in and breakfast especially were ridiculous.
Breakfast was not a pleasant experience - lining up to get a glass of juice, restocking of bacon took about half an hour, navigating through the crowds of people to get anything and to get out of the buffet room was hard work as there was no consideration for anyone, you had to be pushy and focus on yourself.
We didn't receive a turn down service on our first night at the resort, but did on the second.
The room was comfortable enough, but the pillows were extremely soft and there was a considerable gap between the mattress and the bed head - my pillow kept sliding down.
The only time we didn't feel like a number in a queue was when we were talking with a European waiter from Flames restaurant, he took the time to show us the menu and talk about what was on offer, not just in his restaurant, but throughout the whole resort.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Klacmac

Dear Klacmac,

We thank you for your time to comment on tripadvisor.com on your recent stay in our hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed our grounds and facilities and have taken good note of your comments about our Housekeeping and Food & Beverage departments, were you suggested the need of some improvements.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

I just left hotel one hour ago. As this long holidays I want my son spend good time with the pool. I double check all comments both tripadviser n booked trough agoda finally. This true from my experience first impression With reception was ok. I got room number 1817 which a premium room cuz it has bath tub so it cost me 7700 bahts. when I arrived check in was not slow i got room after 30 minutes. The very dangerous point is this when I brought my son (1.9) old to swimming pool to Base floor when I walk down to the stair my son fall on the stair which made from stone it was sharp and I was shocked as it is so heavy fail. He crash with the stone that not really smooth surface! finally thanks god my son start to cry cuz if he was not I maybe heart attack. When I realize what happen I run to the kids club nearby and ask for help. I told them
Exactly I need a car to hospital. They seems confused and bring my son to first aid room. There was a doctor and then I ask
If u have anything device something. But he said no device. What of someone break arms or legs (can happen) nothing to fix thier bone before arrive hospital. I understand that staff help me the best they can they drove me and son to hospital and wait till we finished. Thanks god again it was not fracture forehead or something serious. I paid for x ray and all then I back to hotel. I didn't get any call or anything more like sorry or ask about my son from manager. I then saw this hotel is not suitable at all for small kids. It is dirty not good maintenance. Full of bugs in lazy river and every pool after rainin night. Staff not enough for costumers. U need to takecare yourself. And please dot being small kids its too dangerous. Not even elderly. Very high stairs made from sharp stone even in pavilion for rent! no running bcu u will slip easy. Too many people. You need to que for breakfast. The next day the pool header staff gave me the pavilion for free one day but I didn't have time to be there. He is pool staff actually the only one who seems to responsibility for my situation even he doesn't have to cuz all dangerous is from hotel design material is too too dangerous. Also lazy river if u let kids go alone and they stuck under the cave. It still look dangerous. Sorry but never go back there again. For life sake!!

• Stayed: April 2013
7  Thank Bilwarisa

Dear Bilwarisa,

We thank you for your time to comment on tripadvisor.com on your recent stay in our hotel. We regret that our grounds and facilities have not met your expectations. We have taken good note of your comments and shared with the departments concerned.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Beautiful place... Kids will definitely love the water park and the numerous slides and pools.... Adults also can laze around by the pool or enjoy the aquaerobics and spa...There were just 2-3 Indian items on the menu and the buffets did not really suit indian taste buds..so we mostly dined out.. . its well within the reach of all the major dining, sightseeing and shopping areas of Pattaya...

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I'm agree with nickvegas comments. I've stayed here between 13-15 April'13. I booked for 6 rooms for my family. First disappointing thing that I met, I arrived hotel around 2.30 pm but I got the rooms at 4.30pm. Next thing, at 13th night we had a birthday's party at Oasis restaurant. They served international buffet and BBQ (B1,299). The food was so bad quality. very Dirty (i found the clay on the watermelon peel) so then it's on my plate. So I don't dare to eat Salad becasue I'm not sure all vegetable was cleaned. Food was not Fresh. BBQ was very long line. There was NO good management. Same as Breakfast. Egg Station was very long line as well.

1  Thank Tae J

Dear Tae J,

We thank you for your time to comment on tripadvisor.com on your recent stay in our hotel. We have taken good note of your comments about our Front Office and Food & Beverage departments and have implemented corrective actions to avoid such shortfalls from hapenning again.