“Great for (family) vacation!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Centara Grand Mirage Beach Resort

Centara Grand Mirage Beach Resort
Ranked #11 of 441 Hotels in Pattaya
“Great for (family) vacation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

Massive complex with great atmosphere. Stayed there 6 nights in Nov 2012 with my family (2+2) together with our friends (also 2+2). All our kids are 2-5 years and they loved the place and so did we. Excellent facilities to do sports, swim (pools are great) and eat.
Also rooms were good, nothing special but nice and clean. Breakfast was very good with wide selection.
The location of the hotel is quite good as well, it's close to the city, but still having some distance to "Pattaya downtown" which is good with family travelers. However, it is easy to take a tour in downtown as well (appr. 15 min tuk-tuk to Central Festival Shopping mall).

Our only complaint was that there were soooo many russians with their nice not-queuing-habits. However, this seems to be the case everywhere nowadays...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Petteri L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (637)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reigate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in November 2012. I travelled by myself and felt quite comfortable in the hotel and surrounding areas (I didn't venture out much in the evenings, mostly just during the day). The hotel is lovely. My room was very large, with a very big double bed and chaize longue. The balcony overlooked the pool and sea (some websites say all rooms have sea views but some companies seem to charge more for a sea view - as far as I could tell, all the rooms would have a sea view) and had two very comfortable sunloungers.

The bathroom was separated from the main room area by a curtain, with the shower being behind a wall. This was fine for me but might be a bit awkward if you are sharing a room with teenagers for example. The furnishings in the room were lovely, the decor was very nice and the towels and sheets were changed more often than necessary.

There was a fruit bowl in the room, which was refilled each day. Local bottled water is provided for free in your room, along with branded water which you have to pay for and is very expensive. I found the local bottled water tasted a bit strange so tended to buy water from the shop just opposite the hotel where it was much cheaper.

The pool areas are very nice. There is a lazy river and several sections of the main pool. There is also a lap pool for adults only, although it is situated quite close to the children's water slides, so wasn't necessarily completely quiet. There is an infinity pool, which overlooks the beach but I was never able to get a sunbed in that area (which is also adults only) as the beds were often reserved (but not always occupied). The hotel guide in the rooms says you're not allowed to reserve beds but people often did. I was still always able to find a bed in a nice spot, but it would be better if the hotel enforced their own rules. There was also some smoking in the non-smoking areas, such as near the pool bars, but this wasn't a huge problem.

My room was quite close to the lifts but I didn't experience any noise from other guests. I was on the fifth floor which was fine - great views but not too high. There were only two lifts for each half of the hotel but you never had to wait too long for them.

The food was nice, lots of choice for breakfast. I ate all of my evening meals in the hotel and found the restaurants to be very good but expensive and often very quiet. I think a lot of the guests went into town to eat. The food at the Italian was lovely and the resident chef was attentive and friendly. There was also a steak house and an asian buffet (with very attentive staff, although on the first night I went there the staff nearly outnumbered the guests so I guess they can be attentive!). To give an idea of price, the asian restaurant was an all you can eat buffet for around 700 baht, which was about £15. You went up to choose what you wanted and they cooked it fresh for you - you could ask for a certain dish to have an ingredient left out, or something extra put in - whatever you wanted - and the portions were generous. The drinks weren't cheap but the cocktails were nice - they often served them up in a coconut or pineapple too, which was a nice touch.

The gym is well equipped - you can even hire a pair of trainers! I visited the hotel spa three times and it was really nice and relaxing. It wasn't cheap but I also tried the local Savannah spa, which was much cheaper and the difference in quality was clearly apparent. (At the Savannah the therapist didn't speak any English at all so it was hard to discuss the treatments - you pointed at what you wanted on the price list.)

The beach is quite small and there are people selling things, although if you lay back on your sunbed or stick your nose in a book they don't bother you that much. I didn't notice any bad smells or rubbish on the beach, although I didn't go into the sea.

The weather was a little disappointing. It was always very hot, even late at night but we had a fair amount of rain an cloud, which stopped you from lying by the pool.

There wasn't any evening entertainment, apart from a couple of dancers who did a 10 minute mini show in reception in the early evening. There was a sports bar and karaoke rooms, which I didn't use.

The bar behind the lobby was a nice place to sit on an evening, with nice cocktails and a lovely view out towards the sea.

Pattaya itself is very built up and touristy - this is not the place to go for seclusion and natural beauty. You can get taxis or "baht buses" into the town centre - the baht buses are excellent value. I walked down the sea front road one day and it took a little over an hour from the hotel to the middle of the resort, at a slow pace.

There are a few big shopping malls, with a mix of brands and market stalls. Walking Street is the home of the "go-go" bars. I wasn't going to go there on my own but was told it was ok to do so. I ended up going with a lady I met at the hotel and we felt quite comfortable walking down the road amongst the girls trying to get you to go into their bars - I guess two single women probably aren't their target market! There were groups of tourists and families there at around 9pm, so it's not seen as a place to be avoided.

I went on trips to an elephant park, the tiger zoo (you can hold a baby tiger, which was amazing, but I'm not certain of how good the animal welfare is on the whole), the botanical gardens (which were beautiful but I'm not sure why they felt the need to put plastic animals in the lovely gardens - the giant wooly mammoths didn't really add much in my opinion), Bangkok (lots of buddhas!) and the sanctuary of truth (an amazing wooden carved building, which is beautiful but is not a place of calm reflection as advertised - you have to wear a hard hat and there is music played through speakers and people working on the building with power tools). I also went to the Tiffany lady boy show, which was entertaining in it's own way!

There were a couple of places by the pool where you could get food at lunchtime an they ha a very good range of food, although again, it wasn't cheap. The hotel also has a small shop for crisps, drinks etc, plus a couple of shops selling clothes and jewellery.

As I was planning on eating in the hotel restaurants, I took advantage of the "baht bonanza" whereby you pay a set amount at the start of your holiday and the hotel add extra to your balance. The more you pay in the more the hotel add as a bonus. This saved me quite a lot of money - you can spend your balance in the bars, restaurants and spa - but make sure you do want to eat in the hotel or visit their spa before committing (but note you have to make your payment within a day or so of arrival, so don't be too slow).

The hotel internet seemed expensive but there were some internet and phone places on the main street nearby (10 minutes walk) which were very cheap, so I would suggest using those instead.

I didn't see many insects. I usually get bitten a lot on foreign holidays and I did get a few bites in Thailand but they didn't seem to itch too much. I saw a lizard one evening but if insects and creepy crawlies bother you, I don't think there is much to worry about here.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel, as long as you're not expecting quiet, unspoilt Thai beauty. It's a good base for trips, is not too far from Bangkok (my airort transfer took less than the advertised two hours) and the hotel was lovely - spotlessly clean, well maintained and with excellent staff.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
14 Thank Amanda P
Lloret de Mar, España
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

The hotel is ok, the problem was that my expectatives were more high, I've been in other Centara Grand and I had a great memory of them. This one was too big, but the rooms weren't so big and luxurios as it should be for the big amount of money that cost.

The swimming pools were great but the beach was very dirty and smells so bad...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Xivas
eamrooms, Manager at Centara Grand Mirage Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Dear Xivas,

Thank you for your time to comment on tripadvisor.com on your stay in our resort. Your comments now been shared with our management and department heads concerned and will be a valuable contribution to help us to continuously improve and maintain the quality of services and comfort, we provide to our guests.

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

We first stayed here 2 years back when near new and amenities, service was great. Returning for 3 nights recently, rather sad to see that room & resort maintenance have all slipped backwards. In addition, the hotel now seems to be setup to cater for the mass market tourist segment. I still recommend the place to those with kids - the water park & pools are fantastic. Negatives were- not enough towels for poolside guests, kids games room needs an update, some games not even working. In room, disappointing to find bathrobes so old they had holes, emergency torches corroded, loose taps, electrical switches taped up as a fix. Not good enough for the price being paid here! Staff trying their best and always polite.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank dmclean1
Dear dmclean1,

Thank you for your time to comment on tripadvisor.com on your stay in our resort. Your comments about our services and facilities have been shared with our management and department heads concerned and will be a valuable contribution to help us to continuously improve and maintain the quality of services and comfort, we provide to our guests.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

The hotel has a beautiful sunset scene at their doorstep & sunrise is on the other side. It has a decent water recreation for relaxing & for children. A short 5-10 minutes walk you reached a street for alternative street food. Try to get a good deal because everything else, you need to pay for it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

We were only able to check in after 3pm. There were no welcoming exotic fruit basket in the room. We paid for 3 persons, but were half treated like as if we snuck the third one in.

This was the 'Club Mirage' class rooms! The reception scolded us because we were, according to them supposed to check out at noon. But when we did check in, they told us that we could check out at one.

Besides that the key card didn't work after 12.....talking about wanted to telax in a 5 Star Hotel......does really upset our family. Their only compensation was, we could check out at two......after all the hustle we had to check out at two anyways.

• Stayed December 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Treborikki
Dear Treborikki,

Thank you for your time to comment on tripadvisor.com on your stay in our resort. Your comments about our services and facilities have now been shared with our management and department heads concerned and will be a valuable contribution to help us to continuously improve and maintain the quality of services and comfort, we provide to our guests.

Kiev, Ukraine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

It my second time in Pattaya

In Pattaya we flew to celebrate the birthday day of my girlfriend and to the wedding ceremony of my friends , in the low season and were afraid to frequent rains. The rains have been, but only 1.5 - 2 hours. At night or after six in the evening.

Hotel.
The hotel is located near the center.
It is the only such hotel with private beach and a huge water attractions park in Pattaya.

Really 5***** level and huge territory.
Large rooms. The style of the hotel reminiscent a lost world in South America. with Thai-style rooms. All with a view of the bay.

The rooms are spacious and bright. Balcony with deck chairs and tables.
Good breakfast with a choice of European and Thai cuisine.

Special words about the water park and spa.
Many of pools, waterfalls, a lazy river. While the hotel is very big, you can simply find free sunbeds and umbrellas at the pool and on the beach.

Wonderful time in Pattaya.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends