“Like staying in the slums of Calcutta”

Boss Suites Pattaya
Ranked #262 of 514 Pattaya B&B and Inns
Bangkok, Thailand
“Like staying in the slums of Calcutta”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

The Diana Inn part is easily the worst hotel I have ever stayed in in over 30 years of traveling.

Prison cells have better standards. Leaking shower,filthy bath, dripping toilet.
The cockroaches checked out years ago.

Damp, smelly, noisy, dirty and over-priced.

• Stayed February 2014
4 Thank furne55

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Ok. How should I start?

To sum it up for you guys nicely: the only good point of this hotel is its location. Apart from that, everything is so terrible you should steer clear from this place. Below are the reasons why :

>> Three months ago, I was planning a New Year holiday trip with my friends (There are 3 of us). We decided to go to Pattaya for a vacation, and after an extensive search, we found this hotel with great location. The price was reasonable and the online reviews were decent, so we booked 1 family room through a hotel booking website. Nothing seemed out of ordinary. I was pretty satisfied with this booking until I emailed the hotel directly for general enquiries (questions about buffet breakfast, wifi etc). Funny thing is, the hotel staff who I was talking to on the email told me that they would need to charge me extra, for 300 baht per night, on top of the price they listed in website. I was pretty upset with this. To me, it's understandable for a hotel to increase their price during peak period, but it's not ok to do so after we have already booked the place. I contacted the hotel booking website (booking.com) and I found that this is against their policy. The website staff was very helpful and the case was solved. Boss Suites staff apologized and informed us that we would be charged the original rate for our Family Room. Everything seemed ok and I went on with my life.

>> A month later, my family decided to join us for a Pattaya trip too, so I booked another family room in this same hotel. This time the price listed on the booking website was a lot higher than the price for the first room I booked in October, but I didn't mind.

>> Finally it's December. After a long travel, we arrived in Pattaya at around 10:30pm. We are all pretty exhausted from the car ride but were hyped up for the trip, until we were shown the rooms we were to stay in. This is what happened :

- Prior to arrival, I booked 2 family rooms, which is described as having 2 separated bedrooms and 1 living room. Each family room can accommodate 4 people. There were 8 of us so it was just nice.
- When we arrived, we were given a family room, and another much smaller room that matches the description of their Deluxe Double room (which is cheaper than their family room). Basically, the room had 1 queen bed, and another super small bed that looked like it's just recently placed there as an afterthought. The room obviously cannot accommodate 4 people. Something's not right.
- I told the reception that something's off. The receptionist told me that they were both family rooms and seemed to be oblivious to my problem. I was getting pretty upset, and asked for the manager.
- The manager came. She said that the rooms given to us were a Family Room and a Family Suite. They claimed to have upgraded one of our family room to a family suite for free! Was I supposed to be grateful for that? I knew that all these were a lie, as I did an extensive research on their hotel back then, and knew full well that their Family Suite was a bigger room than their Family Room, and has a kitchenette inside. The rooms given to us were just a Deluxe Double Room and a Family Room.
- I argued with them and demanded to have the correct room. They said their hotel are full, and tried to force us to accept the rooms that didn't match what we originally booked.

In the end, they decided to give us another small room (which is their Standard Double room) as complimentary, and would waive a fee for one night stay of their Deluxe Double room, but ONLY after I had FIERCELY debated and fought with them for 1 and a half hour. 1 and a half hour! It was such an awful experience. We arrived at 10:30PM but could only get into the room at midnight. I was so physically and mentally exhausted from the travel and the argument. If it's not holiday season, we would have been long gone from this hotel to find a new place to stay. But the circumstance forced us to accept what we'd got. I couldn't help but feel that if I hadn't stood my ground back then, we all would have been bullied into accepting what had been given to us. This kind of thing should never have happened in the first place.

>> I thought after all this stupidity, there shouldn't be anything worse than this. I was so wrong! We were then faced with their horrible room condition :

- Dirty, old room. Mouldy rug. I got a rash breakout after the trip!
- Dirty bathroom. There's a bathtub but we didn't dare to use it despite how much we love bathtubs. It just felt really gross to sit in it, surrounded by enclosed, dirty space.
- Cockroaches-infested. I found a small cockroach walking around the sink in the bathroom. My friend found a giant cockroach under the bed.
- Freezing Aircon. It's one of those super old aircons that you can only turn it on or off. Temperature cannot be adjusted.
- Water in the shower takes forever to heat up. (Minimum 30 mins after I turned it on)
- No elevator. We were traveling with our grandparent who's pretty old, and it was a nightmare for her to move around in the hotel.
- Our rooms never got clean, EVER. There were housekeepers in the hotel, but somehow it felt like they never paid our rooms a visit. Mattresses never got changed. Toilets were forever dirty. Trashes were never got thrown away.
- etc etc etc Too many to list

>> The only saving grace for this hotel, as I've told you, is its location. It's pretty centralized and easy to commute to various places in town. Their buffet breakfast tasted pretty decent, if I have to state their other good point.

To tell you all the truth, I really, really want to love this hotel. I really do. I had been looking forward to this trip for so long after a year of no vacation. I'm not a picky person when it comes to a place to stay; I had been to places with worse living condition. I just... couldn't make myself to like this hotel. What I cannot forgive is their dishonesty. Based on previous reviews of other people, it seems this hotel is pretty notorious for their lies and deception. I fought and stood my ground, and got some compensation in the end, but most of you may not be as lucky as me. (I am also a native Thai speaker, which might have given me an advantage over most of you in arguing with them).

Here's my word of advice: Don't bother wasting your precious holiday time by staying in this hotel. STEER CLEAR. You wouldn't want to end up spoiling your holiday mood like I did. It doesn't worth it. You should be happy and having fun, not frustrating over some stupid problem. So please do yourself a favor, find another hotel, and have a blast!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
11 Thank TheStarcaller

Travelers are raving about these Pattaya hotels

Pattaya, Thailand
Reviewed December 28, 2013

I just want to warn costumer to book a room at Diana Inn. I have stayed at Diana inn for 15 + years before and booked many friends in to Diana inn during the years. Now when the new owners run the hotel the price had increased almost 100% and my friends who booked room before they left last season and payed deposit do NOT get the deposit back when they cancel the room because of the price issue. I feel sorry for the "old" staff because you can see that they suffer and they are NOT happy at all. Think twice before you book anything on Diana Inn, there is so many new hotels in the neighborhood with way better price and nice Thai costumer service.Please read the other review and you understand what i mean.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank AndersChristersson
Houston, Texas
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

Good aspects:
Central Location, but have to cross two busy roads to get to beach.
Close to two different movie theatres.
Spacious Family room has two bedrooms and a living room.
Swimming pool
Medium size refrigerator is bigger then most hotels.
Staff is friendly
Wi-fi is free and works most of the time
Breakfast buffet is free for only two. Buffet has eggs, bacon, pancakes, Thai food, juices, etc.

Bad aspects:
Cockroaches, small and abundant.
No hot water
Stained towels
Noise from street
No safe in room
Half stocked minibar. We had to take inventory and report to reception to avoid charges.
Old CRT television with small screen size.
Broken and old furniture
Toilet flush and refill takes a long time.
Old plumbing fixtures
No elevator

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank David K
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Booked online with boss suites 28.000 baht and i got to the hotel very tired after a long flight. Gave the manager my paperwork and they told me i had to pay 45.000 baht. But i booked for 28.000. And i had the email to prove it it!!!!! The trust has gone my holiday is ruined. I cannot think of a worse think to happen. i had to go to another hotel across the road. How can a hotel operate like this???

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Jake T
London
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I stayed at the Diana inn 2 years ago and it was ok, rooms nothing special and paid 900 baht per night and for the same rooms now they want 1800 baht. Unfortunatley I was booked in at the old wing and for 7 nights had an horrendous experience. Where do I start, shower was broken, dirty brown water coming out of taps ,cockroaches in room, tv hopeless no signal, dirty run down rooms. So you may ask did I just sit back and accept ,no I went to complain many times ,asked to see the owner who refused to speak to me as he well knew how bad these rooms are.
The staff apologise but acknowledge that this place is terrible .This hotel has been taken over by Boss Suites and run by Indians. Do yourself a massive favour and don't stay there.

Room Tip: We are now staying at Chantong House just up the road and its cheaper and modern ,many times better...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank kevinshinner
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I've stayed at the Diana Inn (now Boss Suites) several times, but I won't again. First, they have a wonderful pool and the breakfast buffet is wonderful. Now the bad. There are several beer bars across the soi that play music, loudly, until 4:00 AM. This affects the rooms by the pool and the back part of the main section. I moved the next day to a front room that was clean but dark and depressing.

They have new ownership who I hope will make the investment to bring this hotel back. However, the local businessmen said they think the hotel will be sold for the property value soon.

They have a great location, but I can't recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo