“Horrible RCI property, never take club mahindra ,”

Pattaya Hill Resort
Ranked #347 of 455 Hotels in Pattaya
Reviewed April 3, 2013

my first complimentary holiday is booked at this horrible hotel. furniture broken bedside tables coming off the wall. Wall paint is peeling off , cheap Iron rod bed in the room. Too small AC for the room size. Just a put off and will ruin your holidays. Far from the heart of city. we were forced to shift out immediately we arrived to see this shabby property of RCI club mahindra and stayed in other hotel and paid 4,800bht per day and ruined our budget further. I suggest not to take club mahindra membership as they just mislead you. They promise gold at the time of membership and then you get pebbles once you own it. NEVER EVER USE THIS

Room Tip: never use , there are are better options than this. You even have to pay for your bfst and tea
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
35  Thank NS_trip_13

Reviewed February 4, 2013

In Nov last year we went to Pattaya. We were quite shocked to see the unprofessional and rude attitude of the staffs. Most of the amenities are not linked to hotel like massage center, travel , internet , restaurant and hence everywhere we had to pay by cash. They declined to charge to room. Quite disappointed.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank surath_basu
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Having read the reviews on TripAdvisor after making my booking it was with some uncertainty that I arrived. I had spent $329 USD to rent a one bedroom timeshare and after spending nine days in Bangkok, I was confident that if this place did not work out, I could find a reasonably priced alternative. In the end, it was not really all that bad.

The building is quite impressive looking but it is located on a very small non-descript side street at the top of the South Pattaya Phratamnak Hill (aka Buddha Hill). The building is combined condo, hotel and timeshare. As mentioned in another review, the check-in for RCI is set away from the main reception. The check-in process was very simple and Din took me personally up to my room (after helping me to get my big suitcase up the stairs at the front of the building). My unit was on the 18th floor and had a spectacular view. The major drawback of any floor over the 15th is that you can’t access the hotel for fee wi-fi (more on that later). The unit was furnished in simple but Spartan fashion with a king bed, glass dining table, futon, single cot (not sure why it was there but has handy for packing/unpacking), large flat screen TV (mediocre TV reception) but I did not come here to watch TV. Kitchen had full fridge, microwave, toaster, water pot (sort I of a cross between kettle and pressure pump thermos), some cutlery and stoneware. No pots or pans but I was able to get a filter coffee maker (finding ground coffee turned out to be difficult – I should have brought some from home) and coffee mug from Din. I was also able to borrow an extension cord/power bar which was useful for my electronic gadgets (note that North American plugs work but the voltage is 220). Throughout the stay, Din was very responsive and when the AC broke down in the bedroom had someone in to fix it within several hours. Overall the unit was a bit run down, with drapes that had huge holes from age, door lock that had at some point been jimmied, and a shower stall where the curtain was installed in such a way that I was unable to shower with the curtain closed. Sink water was heated by a unit under the sink and was scalding hot!

The building is on top of a hill that can cost you 100 to 150 baht for a taxi ride. I tended to walk down the hill and take the local tuk-tuk (converted pick-up trucks) for 10 to max 20 baht. Takes quite a bit to figure out how and where to flag these down. There is 24 hour security at the building controlling vehicle access and inside controlling access to the elevators. There is a taxi stand outside with questionable charging rates (why I walked down the hill). Beside the building you an outdoor bar/billiard/laundry/travel service with free Wi-Fi and reasonably prices beverages (Pol @ 081 344 6809) that is far more economical than what the hotel offers. Just before you get to Pol there is a bus shelter for the expensive tourist buses (I never used) and a filtered water dispenser (1.25 baht per litre). Across the street there is another hotel where breakfast can be had for 80 baht. On the main level of the Pattaya Hillside resort is a shopette (a bit pricey but better than lugging your beer up the hill), tailor, travel agency, massage parlour and restaurant (breakfast buffet is 130 baht and other meals cost about the same). I liked the food there and they have an INTERNET station that is free for customer use. On the same floor there is a large pool with deck, and below is the gym (very disappointing) and billiard room. On the 23rd Floor is Le Saigon Vietnamese Restaurant which had break-taking views from its outside terrace. If you want a good outdoor seat, it is worthwhile to reserve in advance. Le Saigon was a bit pricey but worth it for the view.
Well worth the ten minute walk down the main drag is the Tara Court hotel, an Irish run establishment. There you will find OGara’s pub which has free wi-fi, full Irish breakfast (including fresh orange juice and real brewed coffee) for 160baht, 95 baht pints of Heineken, good food (Irish and Thai) and a comfortable English speaking clientele. For some reason you can’t get chopsticks to eat with there!
As a work around to not having wi-fi in the room, I at first went to Pol’s and O’Gara’s for the free wi-fi. Later in the week I figured out how to hook my BlackBerry up to my netbook to provide connectivity. I had my BB unlocked and a Thai (DTAC) sim card put in at the MBK 4th floor in Bangkok. This not only gave me full connectivity while mobile (Voice and data) but cheap (3 baht per minute) calling to Canada. This was a life saver when on my second day in Pattaya a head-hunter contacted me with a job opportunity and I had to provide a response!

If you need to take a taxi back, it can be hard to communicate with the driver. I had the name and directions to the hotel written out in large Thai font and carried this with me as the hotel card did have instructions but it was in too small a font for most (older) taxi drivers to read.
For groceries there are numerous convenience store but you are best off going to the Lotus Tesco at the Factory Outlet Mall (walking to where I could catch a tuk-tuk that cost 10 baht). I was not impressed with the overcrowded, sleezy and commercialized downtown areas (especially Walking Street) but did enjoy windsurfing at the Blue Lagoon resort (Omara’s …. Named after the wife of Craig the owner).

Room Tip: A high room has better view but over 15th floor you will not have wi-fi access.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
15  Thank DaveBK
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Pattaya Hill Resort is a decent place to stay - we booked it through club mahindra. It is a bit away, but not so far, from the city's heart. The studios are old but decent and clean, equipped with all basic requirements. The hotel staff is warm with only problem being the language. You can hire bike/scooter from the hotel to get around the city. The beach and other main attractions are not very far - there are mainly 2 roads that we need to remember in order to find our way. We took the bike to all the places - it was easy and convenient. For people wanting Indian food - there is Punjabi restaurant just down the hill. There are several local food options worth trying. We specially found taste for local egg pan cakes, banana shakes and fresh orange juice. The roadside shops are a shopping delight and put your bargaining skills to test. Have fun.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
14  Thank agrharsh
Reviewed July 4, 2012

I had gone here with two of my buddies to chill out in pattaya, but this place ruined it for us! we had a 3 day booking but we left and shifted to a service apartment after the first night. The waiters have no sense of hospitality. We even had to carry our luggage on our own! if you are going to pataya, please dont stay here.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
16  Thank ayushagr
Reviewed April 21, 2012

We booked this hotel through RCI and when we checked in we noticed as did other reviewers a separate check-in desk for the RCI people. We asked about safes and were told that there were none but could see the safes from the check-in desks but they were full of the stuff that the people at the desk were using.
They were not very helpful. They charged for Internet usage. The room was adequate but the shower leaked so badly that we had water all over the floor one morning.
We like to walk but not uphill in the humid heat. My wife and I are in our 50’s.The hotel was out of the way from the beach and downtown. No sidewalks. The timeshare rooms were facing away from the beach so there wasn’t much of a view.
We didn’t feel comfortable leaving our iPhone or camera charger, binoculars, etc. at the hotel as we felt that they would get stolen.
When we checked out another family complained that they had jewelry and money stolen from their room. Reception didn’t seem too concerned. We were glad to check out after taking cabs everywhere all week.
We stayed at the Sigma Resort in Pattaya the previous year and it was much better.
I would NOT stay here again. This hotel should be removed from the RCI catalog.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Coldcanuck47
Reviewed February 28, 2012

I am really embarassed that people are being misled about this place.It is a private building where some Thai coowners decided to pool their units to rent out for investment purposes,20 years ago without bothering to maintain properly.
The reception when you enter the building,facing you is NOT for those rental units (RCA) but for another set of rental units that another set of Thai owners decided to pool and call Pattaya Hill Resort Hotel.Confused?I would be.
Let me also make it clear that this building is safe and secure,has a wonderful roof top bar restaurant with magnificent views of the whole of Pattaya and a nice swimming pool.
Unfortunately,the RCA rental units are not properly maintained but the building is still extremely popular,largely for foreign owners who prefer vacation homes which they buy there and renovate into some spectacular residences with sweeping views of the city and the sea or Thai guests when there is a convention near the Royal Cliff.
The location for the first time visitor is not preferable but is for frequent visitors since it is away from the bustling crowd but 5 minutes to the best beaches and restaurants in Pattaya on Pratumnak and Jomtien and 5 minutes to the shopping malls of Pattaya and the restaurants and nightlife of Walking Street.
You will also need to walk up to the main road and get a baht bus since the taxis beside Pattaya Hill are private and charge a minimum of 100 baht (US$3) to go anywhere.
To really appreciate this place as well as Pattaya (including the Pratumnak and Jomtien areas),it is better if you are a long time visitor or know someone there who has a holiday home.

Room Tip: Try to get a high floor room or one that has been renovated.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends