“Fantastic 3-days sailing trip on Dreamcatcher catamaran”

Samui Ocean Sports & Yacht Charter
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Sailing and yacht charters on Koh Samui in Thailand, island tours to Koh Phangan, Koh Tao, National Marine Park with Samui Ocean Sports & Yacht Charter Co. Ltd.
Reviewed July 21, 2011

We had in mid-july a fantastic sailing trip on the dreamcatcher.
We are used sailing and renting sailing boats in different parts of the world, and this was one of the best!
Fantastic archipelago, great boat (nice sailing performances, spacious with all facilities), great crew, from captain Kunta to Scott, Saak and Chai (not all for at same time on boat, but we were with all four during the trip: great team!).
The team also took us to very nice places that you would not discover without knowing it from before..: And lots of attention and care for us as carrying us a plate of fruits during the sailing or a glass of wine and snacks for the sundown!
We highly recommend!

2  Thank TomasFellbom

Reviewed March 24, 2011

Four of us chartered their catamaran for a 3 day trip. The boat was a very comfortable size for 4 of us and the crew of 2. The two sails provide a decent amount of shade during the day. There is plenty of storage space for your gear also. If you go check out the boat prior to the trip keep in mind that during the trip you will have a small raft with motor sitting in the middle of the net, which takes roughly 50% of the surface - no biggie really. The sails and net were visably aging. One of our sails ripped around lunchtime during the first day. We had to use the motor most of the rest of our trip. The crew claimed that we could not take our 3rd scheduled day because of the sail problem. The owner told us later that it was because of weather - hmmm. There was rain here and there but I had an issue with the story changing after we were interested in the total amount paid. He told us that sometimes people have to motor with no sails for days - I think you should just be aware of this prior to spending the cash to do this trip. They claim to have no way to bring a sail out and replace it, which I do not believe - In my opinion they were merely trying to maximize profit, not maximize customer experience. By the way, the crew told us that he had mentioned issues with that sail before, so I would think the company would be prepared to react.

The crew was awesome. The lunch spots are nothing special. There are no fins for snorkling so I would recommend bringing your own. They have a cold box to put your beer in if you want - just realize you'll have to pee off the boat in the wind :)

I would recommend this to friends even after my little complaints. Just realize you're paying full price no matter what happens and you'll use the motor (w/ no sails) quite a bit no matter what the weather conditions are.

3  Thank TravelingJimi
kuntakosamui, Manager at Samui Ocean Sports & Yacht Charter, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2011

the outcoming of a sailing safari depends very much on the weather, though we usually have quite very good sailing conditions here in samui and its very rare that we have to cancel a trip!
the clients on this perticular trip wanted to go on a 2 day trip but extended it to a 3 day cruise which was decided just the day before. we had to call off the cruise because the weather conditions would not have alowed to sail further then Ko Phangan island and did already a damage on one of the sails.
safety is first priority and it is us who does the call back if necessary, even a client thinks he knows better, we decide! the very bad conditions on the 3rd day shows that we were right, the conditions got worse! the broken sail did not interrupt their sail back to samui since this catamaran is a high performance boat and in full speed would have had one sail down anyway as we call reefing the sail in high winds!
our company and its staff are very sailing enthusiastic, we would not use the engines if not really neccessary, but in no wind situations, sailing behind an island in wind shadow or sailing against the wind forces every sailing boat to turn on the engine to get somewhere!
Jimi had his own opinion as he is intitled too, he might sail in ever lasting winds at home, but he should also mention that we refunded him for the 3rd day immidiatly and gave a little discount for the broken sail which he donated generously to our crew which did a great job bringing them back in this heavy conditions!
a sailing safari is an adventure and things do happen on the way, great moments or damages is part of it. this makes it a experience for most customers, to manage different situations as a team on board even when things don't work out as planned!

Reviewed February 9, 2011

My friend and I booked the Dreamcatcher in Jan for the Full Moon Party. I wanted something nice and luxurious to go from Koh Samui to Koh Phangan and this was just what the doctor ordered.

Kunta, Mark, and Chai were the three amigos that ran the show and they did a more then excellent job of making sure my friend and I were taken care of.

Kunta was, at first, a little reluctant to take people to the party because of some of the bad experiences he has had (and I totally understand from the stories he has told) but I ensured him that we were not like that.

We first were picked up right on time from our resort by an air conditioned mini bus and taken to where the yacht was at. We then got picked up by Chai on the dingy and taken out to the yacht. Once on board we were given a nice tour of the catamaran and a very knowledged explination of the history of the boat from Kunta. After that it was time to set sail.

Once we put our bags down in the very spacious (for a catamaran yacht) half of our boat we decided to sit up front in the canopies and rest off the night before. We were served fruit and drinks by Chai (who was more then accomodating the whole trip and just a pleasure to have around) and then after about a couple of hours of sailing we were served lunch up there. We enjoyed a great sunny day of sailing and story telling from both Mark (the French chef) and Kunta (our German skipper) and we were never hungry or thirsty thanks to Chai (our Thai boat hand).

Once arriving on the Northwest side of the island we anchored up right off of the most beautiful coral reef around and went snorkeling for a bit while Mark started dinner. We then got back on the yacht and enjoyed a more then excellent dinner accompanied by very good beer and wine (all included in the package). After a couple more hours of relaxing we then got ready for the party. After getting details on where to meet back on the beach we were taken to shore on the dingy by Chai (which in itself was a memorable experience HA HA) and then he escorted us onshore until he made sure we got a ride to the Southeast side of the island where the party was at. He went totally out of his way to make sure we were taken care of which was more then we could ask for.

After the party we called Kunta at about 4 am and he came and picked us up at the same spot we were dropped off at. We enjoyed a nice comfortable sleep in the main cabin and could not ask for anything better to wake up to then an amazing view of crystal clear water and a beautiful island in front of you.

After about an hour Mark got back on the burners and cooked up an amazing breakfast and then we set sail for a perfect trip back to Koh Samui. We got back, dingyed it back to shore and right there was the air conditioned mini bus waiting to take us right back to the doorstep of our resort.

I really could not have asked for anything more and if there is a chance I go back to Samui again, I will be booking with Kunta one more time!!!

3  Thank MMittias
Reviewed February 7, 2011

This experience was better than I could have ever imagined. I arrived to Thailand with the hopes of having relaxing holiday with my husband and his idea of sailing for 4 days to various islands on a sail boat was not my idea of relaxing. The morning we set sail it was perfect, sun shining and our crew introduced themselves and described our 4 day adventure on Crazy Horse, the boat well kept and just gorgeous.
Most importantly the crew was experienced, knowledgable, friendly and fun to be around.
The islands that we were able to visit and the sights that were shown to us would have not been possible without our crew.
We were abel to experience great sunny weather as well as rain NO COMPLAINTS both exciting. If you ever travel to Koh Samui I highly suggest the 4 day adventure to really see the wonderful sights and beaches of Thailand. Not only did the crew sail us around but they were with us on the islands and showing us the beauty of each island and the local food establishments.

2  Thank cmillen
Reviewed August 4, 2010

The best 3 days of our holiday. My girlfriend and I wanted to explore the national park without hordes of other tourists and decided we'd splash out and sail around them. Kunta was great, he gave us plenty of time on our own but also was great fun. It was expensive but definitely good value for money, it will be a memory we will both treasure