“Sneaky bar trick”

Jack doyles
Ranked #394 of 1,233 Restaurants in Ko Samui
Cuisines: Irish, Bar, Pizza, Thai, British, Pub, European, Asian
Good for: Bar scene, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Sentosa Island, Singapore
“Sneaky bar trick”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

Not a bad bar and in general very friendly with good food and decent sized portions.
What really made the visit unpleasant was the owner (barman) - a table across from me explained that they did not order a Guinness so the owner placed this behind the bar and replaced their order with the correct drink.
7 or 8 mins later I ordered a Guinness which was brought out lightning quick. Obviously the same pint that was left standing. When I mentioned this to the waitress I was just lied too saying it was fresh ( something anyone who has ever had a Guinness can clearly see) . Nevertheless I refused it and requested a fresh pour. The owner then brought the new freshly pulled pint out in a sour and rude manner. Amateur customer service

After a few drinks and food (2 people) we asked for the bill and handed over the Visa card but were told "cash only". No signage states this so it could prove a problem should one not

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank jetlagged3

Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
“When is a Sunday roast not a roast?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

We eat a lot of Thai food throughout the week, but I still love a traditional Sunday lunch to remind me of home.
I ordered a roast beef dinner and Chai had Thai.
I was disappointed when my meal arrived and it consisted of a beef steak with mash potatoes and practically raw vegetables! When I asked where was the Yorkshire pudding and roast potatoes, I was informed that they were all sold out. To top it all, I discovered after pouring the gravy all over my meal, it was lamb gravy!
The waiter (owner?) did offer me mushy peas in replacement of my missing roast essentials, but I politely declined!
Chai was not overly impressed with his Thai food declaring it 'boring'.
I would have appreciated it if I would gave been given the choice of choosing something else, rather than suffering a plateful of disappointment. We won't be returning!

• Visited November 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“The 'Cheers' of Koh Samui”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

Jack's bar is a little bit further out from Fisherman's Village but very convenient on the walk to and from a lot of the hotels at that end. You could not wish for a better atmosphere for an evening's relaxed socialising. We were on Koh Samui just before the peak season kicked in so the bar was generally quiet but this resulted in a few chances to sit at the bar with a variety of local characters, all with an interesting story to tell, not least Ray the de facto bar manager. Jack manages to man the bar whilst fully engaging in the night's craic which is no mean skill for a bar owner. Good luck to everyone at Jack Doyle's for the high season..

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank Chris P
cobourg
“Good food in Bophut”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Have been there a few times in the past week. First time I had breaded chicken with fries. Chicken came out and it wasn't quite cooked, i showed my waitress and she apologized profusely and took it back to the kitchen. It came back perfect. I had the chicken strips and a cheddar baked potato the last time I was there- strips cooked properly- came with a HOT (!) chili sauce and were great. Baked potato had a couple of Kraft cheese singles on top and not aged cheddar as the menu suggested. Still good all the same. Staff were attentive and friendly especially the older man working there. Makes the dining experience personable. Didn't have any alcohol to drink, but the bar is large and well stocked. The only thing is they don't always have everything listed on the menu- which is understandable since its a newer restaurant and there were not many patrons both nights (thru the week). Stayed at the ibis hotel Bophut and jacks is right across the street. Good restaurant in an area that needs more restaurants.

• Visited August 2013
Ko Samui, Thailand
“Made me feel like family”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

Perfectly situated across the street from Ibis Bohpot is the best pub you will find on the island. Great food ( amazing breakfast), amazing selection of libation and staff and owners who make you feel like family.

This has been a regular hangout for us since we arrived and I will miss Jack, the captain and the crew when we are gone. They have made our stay here so much sweeter.

• Visited August 2013