“When is a Sunday roast not a roast?”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Jack doyles

Jack doyles
Ranked #398 of 1,238 Restaurants in Ko Samui
Cuisines: Irish, Bar, Pizza, Thai, British, Pub, European, Asian
Good for: Bar scene, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Drinks, Dinner, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
“When is a Sunday roast not a roast?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

We eat a lot of Thai food throughout the week, but I still love a traditional Sunday lunch to remind me of home.
I ordered a roast beef dinner and Chai had Thai.
I was disappointed when my meal arrived and it consisted of a beef steak with mash potatoes and practically raw vegetables! When I asked where was the Yorkshire pudding and roast potatoes, I was informed that they were all sold out. To top it all, I discovered after pouring the gravy all over my meal, it was lamb gravy!
The waiter (owner?) did offer me mushy peas in replacement of my missing roast essentials, but I politely declined!
Chai was not overly impressed with his Thai food declaring it 'boring'.
I would have appreciated it if I would gave been given the choice of choosing something else, rather than suffering a plateful of disappointment. We won't be returning!

• Visited November 2013

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“The 'Cheers' of Koh Samui”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

Jack's bar is a little bit further out from Fisherman's Village but very convenient on the walk to and from a lot of the hotels at that end. You could not wish for a better atmosphere for an evening's relaxed socialising. We were on Koh Samui just before the peak season kicked in so the bar was generally quiet but this resulted in a few chances to sit at the bar with a variety of local characters, all with an interesting story to tell, not least Ray the de facto bar manager. Jack manages to man the bar whilst fully engaging in the night's craic which is no mean skill for a bar owner. Good luck to everyone at Jack Doyle's for the high season..

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank Chris P
cobourg
“Good food in Bophut”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Have been there a few times in the past week. First time I had breaded chicken with fries. Chicken came out and it wasn't quite cooked, i showed my waitress and she apologized profusely and took it back to the kitchen. It came back perfect. I had the chicken strips and a cheddar baked potato the last time I was there- strips cooked properly- came with a HOT (!) chili sauce and were great. Baked potato had a couple of Kraft cheese singles on top and not aged cheddar as the menu suggested. Still good all the same. Staff were attentive and friendly especially the older man working there. Makes the dining experience personable. Didn't have any alcohol to drink, but the bar is large and well stocked. The only thing is they don't always have everything listed on the menu- which is understandable since its a newer restaurant and there were not many patrons both nights (thru the week). Stayed at the ibis hotel Bophut and jacks is right across the street. Good restaurant in an area that needs more restaurants.

Ko Samui, Thailand
“Made me feel like family”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

Perfectly situated across the street from Ibis Bohpot is the best pub you will find on the island. Great food ( amazing breakfast), amazing selection of libation and staff and owners who make you feel like family.

This has been a regular hangout for us since we arrived and I will miss Jack, the captain and the crew when we are gone. They have made our stay here so much sweeter.

3 Thank Lmckeown
Ko Samui, Thailand
“Great place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

I visited jacks before it had its official opening as such it was just a bar and was yet to start food. However, as a bar what a great place! Every bar has its features and jacks is no different but just harder to see as it is in form of the manager Ray. I cannot recommend highly enough sitting and having a beer with Ray. The man is without doubt one of the most interesting people I've ever met. I won't give anything away suffice to say his life and time working in Thailand are some of the best stories I've heard. I met the owner Jack who also owns Jasmines (which fully deserves its trip advisor rating) down the road and he too is a funny and friendly individual. I personally think its the staff that make a bar and this is why I give jacks a 5 star rating.

2 Thank Dave M