“pricey”

Ranked #93 of 154 things to do in Ko Samui
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed December 25, 2011

Not so good and overpriced... the Tiger seems to be stoned by drugs to take pictures... i know it is probably for the best for people but I really don't like this

3  Thank panoptil

Reviewed December 25, 2011

Tigers are the most beautiful creatures in the world as far as I am concerned. We are staying in a villa not more that 6 minutes walking from the Tiger Zoo but I have refused to go so far because of all the horrible reviews I read on Tripadvisor. I ended up going anyway today simply because the weather is really bad and we ran out of other things to do around here.
I am happy to be able to report that the situation is much better than I expected.

Aquarium: I did not see any dirty tanks at all. 80% of the tanks are big enough for the various creatures in it but yes around 20% are really too small for some fish ad also some sea turtles. Something needs to be done for those.

Tigers: they all look very healthy. The show is very good and only lasts around 10 min. The trainer has no stick or any other weapon to threaten the animals with. He commands them by gestures and by his voice. He only has a metal fork that he uses to give the tigers their treats (meat) after they have performed. I suppose this could be used as a weapon in case of an emergency but I did not see him touch any of the animals with this (and believe me I was watching out). Outside the show you can see the tigers in average size accommodation. If the zoo has a different better and bigger living area for these animals they should open this place to the public and this will get rid of a lot of the bad reviews. People only believe what they see.

Picture with baby tiger: Initially I got quite upset as I witnessed an episode where 3 very small kids wanted this picture. They were too small to hold the animal correctly which resulted in a very panicky screaming baby tiger that got handled quite roughly by the caretaker to get him away fast from the kids before he could do any damage to them. Basically such small kids should not have been allowed near the baby. I walked away and returned 5 minutes later to hear the caretaker say “no more pictures, finished !!” to give the baby some time to calm down. A few minutes later he was gone altogether (hopefully with his mother) whereas several people still had tickets for pictures. The fact that the caretaker did not allow for any more pictures does show that he also thinks of the welfare of the animal.

Various animals in cages in the garden (birds, monkeys, ferrets): this is the area that needs major improvement. These cages are absolutely too small for some of its inhabitants. I think the management should really make the effort and invest in this. I felt very sorry for some of the animals in that area.
I came too late to see the sea lion show so I cannot comment on that.

Overall it is an interesting place to visit which could really become great if the accommodation was to get upgraded to the sizes of the different creatures. I have to say that I have seen much worse in some of my other trips. For example in Phuket zoo the tiger they use for the photo shoot is attached to a concrete platform with a chain that is so short that his head is kept down in such a way that he can only lie on his side and is unable to get up at all. Now that was disturbing.

4  Thank Carla S
Reviewed December 22, 2011

We paid 900 baht for two people and got literally two seconds with the baby tiger and some pictures. The handler picked it up by its arm and as it squealed in pain he dropped him on our lap and said take picture. They are rude and inconsiderate. I wish I could call animal control on them. Waste of time and it's far away. I was very disappointed. Don't bother going. If the owner could read this I'd ask him for my money back and tell him he should hire nicer better staff. Disgusting!

6  Thank Cookie3131
Reviewed December 6, 2011

Out first impression of the zoo and aquarium was hopeful however although the tigers appeared to be in better condition than some of the others we saw on the Island who were chained and forced to pose for photos all day without water and then kept in tiny cages, these Bengals were also caged in extremely small cages. The most upsetting thing for us was seeing a little Otter with what was obviously a severe infection in his face. We took photos of the poor thing and will be asking the zoo directly to attend to him as he was clearly in considerable pain and could not open either eye. The other disturbing thing besides the small enclosures was the complete lack of any stimulation such as toys or anything at all to assist the animals mental health. Most animals showed signs of stress and I saw no evidence of food and many cages had little water available . There were two very tiny baby tigers there the day we went who clearly were too young to be away from their mother and one was blind. I wondered what happens to this never ending supply of tiger cubs that are bred for photos with the tourists? They were very thin and seemed to only get fed to pose for the photos with the tourists. I left the zoo with the feeling that there was probablya lot going on in terms of animal mistreatment that was well hidden from the tourists. They have a sign that says the animals are let out to "roam and play" in a big enclosure after everyone goes home but this defies belief. We had a good look around and saw no enclosure and the animals have clear behavioural issues indicating that they are confined for very long periods. To sum up - go only if you want to bear witness to the mistreatment of these animals and then write about it. Surely we are past seeing Beautiful Bengal tigers beaten to do tricks?

1  Thank Ruth G
Reviewed October 30, 2011

My family had a wonderful time here.They do really have a good (exellent. )show.Both sea lion and tiger show.All the animals are unchained and look very healthy and friendly to people,you can take a picture with an unchain tiger and lion, which we never seen in anyplace we've been to.This place should be the best attraction in koh samui because they have more things to entertain you than any other place around.( Aquarium, tiger zoo, big swimming pool and nice restaurant by the beach, two great shows sea lion and tiger show.)Check the detail to any place around before you go and compare,you'll see which place will give you the most for your money.For us this this is the right and wonderful place to visit.

2  Thank vanissa a
maxsamui2, ผู้จัดการฝ่ายประชาสัมพันธ์ at Samui Aquarium and Tiger Zoo, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2011

We're so glad that you did enjoy and had a good time at Samui Aquqrium and Tiger Zoo.We're also greatly appreciated for your wonderful review. Thank you so much.Hope You 'll come to see us again, next time you're in SAMUI.

Thank you n' Best Regards.
JOE.