“Not as good as I was expecting”

Charlie Chaplin Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #532 of 1,255 Restaurants in Ko Samui
Cuisines: European, Seafood, Thai
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Brisvegas
“Not as good as I was expecting”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We decided to eat here after seeing the reviews on Trip Advisor but was a little disappointed in our meals.

After a week of eating asian food we decided we needed a european style food fix. I ordered a schnitzel and my partner ordered steak. Both were quite tough and my schnitzel appeared to have been deep fried in oil.

We had no complaints about the service - it was excellent and there was a good variety of food on the menu with prices being very reasonable. The toilets were nice and clean and you can see into the kitchen which also looked fine.

Given the number of good reviews for this restaurant, I suspect that my bad choice of menu item has led to my 'average' food review. If I went back I'd be tempted to give it another go and try some Thai food to see what it was like.

Visited September 2012

Ariel, Palestinian Territories
“Couldn't get less for my money”
Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

We've been a party of 4, first of all the menus were promissing, yet confusing, and even though we have read some negative reviews on tripadvisor, we decided to judge for our own. Deep fried stuff looked like they haven't change the oil since the day they opened the joint. Rest of the dishes were ok, exept for their size - main dishes looked like appetizers. We've waited about 30 min. for main course to be served, the quality and taste were intermidiate and that’s an understatement. If you value your time and money, seek food elsewhere, there are plenty of restaurants in the same street that you can enjoy.

Kettering, United Kingdom
“Simply the best!”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Five years ago this place was a tin shed so they must be doing something right to have grown into the best restaurant in the Choeng Mon strip. Their new building was spotlessly clean and looked inviting.
We visited Charlie's several times during our month stay on Koh Samui and this place consistently served the best food. As a previous traveller noted the portions are not huge for a big eater but enough for most. I would often order the Fried Egg Rice with Garlic and Butter to accompany my main course and was Full to Bursting at the end of the meal. Sometimes my wife would order a noodle dish that was not on the menu and it would be cooked exactly how she wanted with no fuss.
The waiting staff were a delight and made every attempt to take our order in English.
If you want a clean restaurant serving excellent food day-in, day-out . . . it's Charlie Chaplin!

• Visited October 2012
Darwin, Australia
“Great Family run restaurant”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We visited this restaurant for lunch and had the Tom Yum Goong, it was probably the best we had during our 12 days in Koh Samui, we visited the restaurant on at least three or four other occasions after that, each time the food was great and the cost was fantastic.
The family that run it are very friendly and make sure you enjoy your experience.
They even helped me when I was caught trying to find a toilet one day, I had not even dined there, but they remembered me. I also knew that their toilet was clean and tidy.
We will definitely be visiting this restaurant again every trip we have.

• Visited September 2012
Margaret River WA Australia
“Great Place to Eat”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Located in the main street of Choeng Mon on Koh Samui. Friendly family owned business, who were very attentive. Meals were well presented, tasty but a little on the small serve side, so order an extra dish or two if you are a bigger eater. Prices are very good and cheaper than the resorts. Give it a try, well worth the visit.

• Visited July 2012