“Fabulou$ Concept”

Tamarind Springs Forest Spa
Ranked #1 of 115 Spas & Wellness in Ko Samui
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: There are many Koh Samui spa resorts, but Tamarind Springs Forest Spa at Lamai - Koh Samui's tranquil and picturesque East coast - offers you a unique Thailand holiday and spa experience:* Seek ultimate spa relaxation at Thailand's first dedicated Day Spa on Koh Samui* Get away from it all. Unwind and experience unique Koh Samui accommodation in private villas, surrounded by tropical gardens, in close proximity to our magnificent spa facilities and just a short walk to Lamai beach* Learn massage at Thailand's first dedicated professional massage training academy on Koh Samui * Enjoy healthy and home-made food at Tamarind Springs' open-air Spa Café. Tamarind Springs Forest Spa on Koh Samui is inspired by its superb location, bordering Lamai's tropical forest interior, where lush coconut groves gently slope into a valley of huge granite boulders. Built out of love and respect for Koh Samui's unique landscape, every effort has been made to fluidly integrate all man-made structures of this serene and exclusive Samui spa into Lamai's indigenous surroundings. In 2008, Tamarind Springs Forest Spa on Koh Samui was awarded both "The Award of Outstanding Performance for Health Tourism" by the Tourism Authority of Thailand, and "Asia Spa's" highly coveted "Day Spa of the Year Award for Excellence" .
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage
Reviewed August 18, 2013

A Forest Spa - what a fabulous concept.

On arrival you are met at the first of two receptions were your booking is confirmed and your instructed to turn off all devices and take no photos. On to the second reception where your treatment is discussed and your taken to the dressing rooms.

An hour and a alf wandering from one 'secret' pool to the next intermingled with cave saunas and herb infused saunas and then up the side of the mountain for a massage under a series of wooden platforms that capture the lovely afternoon breezes. We took the 'twice as nice' treatment - it was lovely but personally I'd opt for an oil massage next time.

The only downside to this enter experience was the terrible selection of music to massage by - a total aesthetic disconnect. Small thing but across a couple of hues it becomes really grating.

Would we recommend this spa? For sure! Would we recommend it for a return visit? Not so much - this is an extraordinarily expensive spa experience on an island where extraordinarily good spa experience abound... At less cost.

4  Thank ThrillingMe
"huge boulders"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Dear Tamarind Spa,

My wife and I were lucky enough to spend 4 hours at the Tamarind spa a few years ago. Being a South African male-I was not too sure about the whole massage pampering experience. I just want to say that it was the best decision I made. The experience was out of this world. From the hot springs to the outdoor stations, to the experienced staff, to the cool breeze and the sounds of nature, everything was just perfect.
Every holiday since, I have been on a quest to find a similar experience—I’m afraid to say nothing comes close—full stop!!
I hate the fact that you can be surrounded by lush forests with crystal blue waters and a royal blue sky-and still be lead indoors to a minimalistic, cold, manmade room to have your treatment! Why are there not more spas taking advantage of their natural surroundings!! Are people really more comfortable in a closed room with a CD playing music in the background?
We have another trip to Thai land coming up, unfortunately we will not be able to go back to Koh Samui to enjoy the Tamarind experience -we have to explore other areas!
I know it’s probably cheeky of me to ask, but can you PLEASE recommend a similar spa in Phuket—if there are any? I’m so tired of being disappointed!
My wife and I will greatly appreciate your knowledge on this matter!!

Reviewed July 31, 2013

The place does not look like the advertisement pictures. There are two steam rooms, each with a tiny pool next to it and a relaxation area with another small pool. It's a nice place but takes about 30 minutes drive on a motor bike from Chaweng beach. We expected it to be more exciting and unique but it feels to artifical. We enjoyed the stay, but we will not come back again.
PS : for some reason they don't allow taking cameras inside which was VERY annoying. Maybe they don't want people to see what the place really looks like...

4  Thank BigMightyOak
TamarindForestSpa, Marketing & Business Development Manager at Tamarind Springs Forest Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Dear visitor,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and share your experience with other travelers. We appreciate that you found the time to mention that you enjoyed the stay, despite finding some aspects that may have left you disappointed. Let me briefly comment on those: We are very proud of the natural beauty of our place and try to create photography that really reflects this beauty and the overall atmosphere of a visit to our spa. All photography we use in advertising is completely genuine and authentic and not enhanced artificially in any way.

The reason we do not allow cameras and phones in our spa are as follows: we promise a unique & natural experience with maximum privacy, relaxation and tranquility. We ensure that our visitors are completely at ease when taking a dip in our rock plunge pools or visit the two herbal steam caves, or relax into a long massage. Being in the presence of someone wielding a camera would most definitely disturb the comfort and peace of others significantly. The same applies for phones of course – we believe that our guests when giving themselves the gift of time, and leaving their to-do lists, commitments and phone calls behind, have an unforgettable relaxation experience.

We regret that not being able to take pictures annoyed you but we hope that you understand our reason. Please enjoy the rest of your stay on our beautiful island and we sincerely hope to welcome you again sometime.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

My friend and I chose the "Morning Glory" package, with time to spend in the steam caves and pools, as well as enjoying a snack and a massage.
The organisation of the morning was very impressive, and the snack was very nice indeed, more like a lunch. We decided to save it until after the massage.
We enjoyed the scenery and layout of the property, and tried each of the steam caves and pools, as well as the scrub exfoliant of tamarind or ginger.
The massage was very good also, set high up in an open air pavillion.
When I return to Samui, I will definitely book a day at Tamarind Springs.

1  Thank Angela C
See more reviews
Reviewed July 18, 2013

What to do on a cloudy day in Samui? Can you say spa? I had been to The cafe the day before to check the place out. The food was excellent with a huge portion for lunch - so big I couldn't finish it and only needed a snack for dinner! The grounds looked lovely and the reception and cafe were housed in a beautiful 3 story thatched roof, open sided palapa. The spa itself was tucked out of sight and the atmosphere was so nice I determined to come back for a treatment.

Was I ever glad I did. It was a splurgebut so worth it. From the moment you arrive and are greeted by an iced Tamarind Cooler you are pampered in a lovely tropical way. The change area is clean and once you put on a sarong and lock your clothes away you have time to steam and relax in the pools. I had the place to myself for the first 45 minutes and it was bliss. The steam caves are fragrant with the scent of lemon grass. The rock pools are cool and lovely. The upper steam and scrub area is nice with fresh water and different herbal scrubs to use like fresh ginger. After steaming and cooling there is a lovely vegetarian snack served at yet another pool and waterfall. Great food!

Finally you are led up the hillside to beautiful treatment huts that overlook the green valley below. I had the Twice as Nice Prakop treatment and it was great. Lying face down on the table strain into a bowl of floating hibiscus and bougainvillea - all the little touches. My massage was excellent and at the end of two and a half hours I felt great. I highly recommend this place for some pampering. Truly a beautiful, blissful experience.

By the way, I recommend going early so you get the steam caves and pools to yourself.

2  Thank MexicoLover100