“Disapppointing - save your money for something else.”

Tamarind Springs Forest Spa
Ranked #1 of 107 Spas & Wellness in Ko Samui
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: There are many Koh Samui spa resorts, but Tamarind Springs Forest Spa at Lamai - Koh Samui's tranquil and picturesque East coast - offers you a unique Thailand holiday and spa experience:* Seek ultimate spa relaxation at Thailand's first dedicated Day Spa on Koh Samui* Get away from it all. Unwind and experience unique Koh Samui accommodation in private villas, surrounded by tropical gardens, in close proximity to our magnificent spa facilities and just a short walk to Lamai beach* Learn massage at Thailand's first dedicated professional massage training academy on Koh Samui * Enjoy healthy and home-made food at Tamarind Springs' open-air Spa Café. Tamarind Springs Forest Spa on Koh Samui is inspired by its superb location, bordering Lamai's tropical forest interior, where lush coconut groves gently slope into a valley of huge granite boulders. Built out of love and respect for Koh Samui's unique landscape, every effort has been made to fluidly integrate all man-made structures of this serene and exclusive Samui spa into Lamai's indigenous surroundings. In 2008, Tamarind Springs Forest Spa on Koh Samui was awarded both "The Award of Outstanding Performance for Health Tourism" by the Tourism Authority of Thailand, and "Asia Spa's" highly coveted "Day Spa of the Year Award for Excellence" .
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage
Reviewed April 23, 2013

It is with regret that I write this review as I don't like to sound ungrateful but feel that I have to. After reading lots of great reviews about this spa I made sure my husband and I were booked in for 5 and 4 hour treatments on our recent trip to Koh Samui. To be honest I was disappointed. Maybe I was just expecting too much. I have visited many day spas and have had many treatments and I thought for the price we paid (12500 baht) this was very disappointing. There is no doubt that the setting of this spa is OUTSTANDING, it is truly beautiful. The natural rock sauna is amazing and the natural rock pools in which you plunge are gorgeous but that is what you are paying for..the setting. In my opinion it is not worth it. We were picked up from our hotel in Chewang by private taxi and taken directly to the spa, which was great, and greeted warmly by a number of staff at the first reception point where we filled in personal information sheets and chose our treatments. We then followed a path to the second reception point and were given a drink and then a bag containing a sarong, towel etc. We were then taken to the change rooms and shown around the outdoor spa ....as I said it is beautiful. After an hour and a half to use the sauna and plunge pools we were served a light lunch, which was lovely, and after this our treatments began in beautiful outdoor pavillions. This is where I was most disappointed. Because I had read so many great things about this spa I expected the BEST service/treatments I have ever had and that just didn't happen for me. I choose the oil massage..lots of oil was used and not wiped off at the end so I was left feeling VERY greasy. I choose foot reflexology, this was OK but no better than any other reflexology I have ever received and absolutely loving facials, I choose the facial massage. This was the BIGGEST disappointment of all. The therapist barely touched my face, just pressed very lightly on various pressure points over my face and neck. Not at all what I was expecting. Once our treatments were finished our therapists were polite and told us it was time to go. We were not even shown out of the open air pavilion in which we had had our treatments and the therapists had begun cleaning up the tables in preparation for the next clients before we had even left the pavilion!! After changing at the change rooms we went back to the second reception point and were given a cup of tea/drink and an evaluation to fill in. We were then told our taxi was waiting for us. We walked back to the first reception point and the women who had greeted us so warmly on arrival barely looked at us as we left. I was left with the feeling that once you've been treated (and paid, which we had to do on arrival not after treatments) It's "see you later!" After this experience I booked into the NAM Day Spa at the Buri Rasa Village where we were staying and I felt the treatments and service I received there was far superior to Tamarind Springs. I wish I had not spent 12 500 baht at Tamarind and had spent it all at the NAM Day Spa.

4  Thank K M
TamarindForestSpa, Marketing & Business Development Manager at Tamarind Springs Forest Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear visitor,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to write such an extensive review. We do value any customer’s feedback, and frank and detailed comments are critical to us. We sincerely regret that some elements of your visit did not satisfy your expectations and we appreciate your constructive criticism.

Despite your disappointment about you the lightness of your massage treatment you generously praised the setting of our Forest Spa as outstanding, noted the warm greeting you received and commented on the lunch as lovely. In your evaluation form you gave both your overall experience as well as the massage 8 out of 10 points, and your husband rated both as 9 out of 10 possible points.

However, your rating and comments here on Tripadvisor suggests that you really were disappointed and so I would like to address the issues you have raised:

Regarding the facial massage, our treatment uses world re-known “Dr. Vodder Manual Lymphatic Drainage” (MLD) technique; this technique uses gentle, rhythmic skin stretch movement in the direction of the lymph flow toward the right lymphatic duct and the thoracic duct to encourages the lymph fluid to flow freely, in order to remove excessive fluids, promote healing and boost the immune system. The gentle & light nature of this technique is very much intentional - if the pressure is too hard, the lymph system will likely not be affected.

In the health and beauty sector, MLD is now widely recognized and known as a “natural face lift” and natural anti-aging treatment. It is also very effective for strengthening and regenerating the cells, reduce wrinkles and give a smoother complexion.

However, we are sorry that you did no enjoy the MLD technique, and we possibly should have explained this particular approach to you better.

Please also accept our apologies for not looking after you as warmly after the completion of your treatments. This is something we have raised with all our staff and will endeavor to improve in the future. I can assure you that each element in our customers’ visit, from start to finish, is essential for a holistic experience; we always strive to leave everyone with a glowing & warm feeling as they leave, unhurried and at the same gentle pace that was set from the beginning.

The team and I wish you all the best for your Samui holiday and sincerely hope you will visit again sometime.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

This was by far the best spa I have ever visited and is a must for anyone visiting Koh Samui. The package I had was amazing - Forest Dreaming - and the staff were wonderful, especially the therapists. The caves have been turned into steam rooms and after steaming, you had the chance to bathe in fresh water pools. Very invigorating! I can't recommend Tamarind Springs enough.

1  Thank Fi B
Reviewed April 15, 2013

The main attraction of this spa is the setting I think. You are outside the whole time and feel a million miles away from the rest of the world. Our treatment was 5500 Baht (approx $190) so it is more than if you went for a massage in town but as I said you are paying for the whole environment. I think as a special treat it is worth it. We had over an hour in the pools and steam rooms then 90 min massage treatment. A delicious lunch was also included.

1  Thank Anne L
Reviewed April 14, 2013

As an end of our amazing trip to Koh Samui we decided to visit the islands famous forest spa, and we don't regret it! It was very amazing with a sauna in the rocks, and tiny little lakes between the rocks in the joungle. The service was excellent. It says that this spa is very expensive and that's right, but it is expensive for a reason! It's really quality work they do here. Nothing is doing half way. And at the end of the massage they made a beautiful braid in my hair with flowers and everything, ready to dinner at the night! :-) Thank you Tamarind Spring Spa!
Phones and cameras is not allowed here.

1  Thank Madelen95
Reviewed April 11, 2013

My husband booked the forest dream package for both of us as a good bye to our koh samui trip, I can positively tell you that we couldn't have chosen a better way to spend our last afternoon at the beautiful island. They have truly made a little haven for all spa lovers!! It is of course on a pricier side but trust me, spend less somewhere and plan this in your budget, as you will not be disappointed.
We were welcomed by drinks and were given information and guidance to choose the type of massage. Our forest dream package was a 2.5 hr massage and we were given an indefinite time for the steam cave and the rock pool. There were two natural body scrubs which one could use during steaming, something my husband enjoyed a lot. We were served a light lunch of fish/crab cakes, vegetable rolls and fresh fruit plus a good selection of drinks. I personally loved the fish cakes!! Wished i could have had more!! We both decided to have the "twice as nice prakop massage" which is thai herbs wrapped in a cloth, steamed and pressed onto the body along with different massage techniques. Our therapists were very knowledgeable and courteous. They took care of all our needs and gave us the best massage we have had to date. I can go on about the professionalism and the techniques they used, but its not needed, you need to try it to know what I mean.
I was given a beautiful hair do by my therapist at the end of my treatment which was the icing on the cake for me!! I'm still admiring my hairdo!!!

All in all, we loved our afternoon at Tamarind Springs and would love to be back here on our next trip to Koh Samui.
A must do for Everyone!!