“Enjoyable, could be better, not for animal rights activists.”

Namuang Safari Park
Austin, Texas
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Enjoyable, could be better, not for animal rights activists.”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We had a nice time on our 60 minute elephant trek. We wish that we had more interaction with the elephant...not just hopping on, riding, and getting off. We also thought the trail was dirty and pretty fake/engineered.

If you want to ride an elephant, which we did (despite what kind of conditions we might have encountered), the experience provided here is..ok. While you might consider alternatives, you're not going to find some perfect elephant harmony sanctuary there. You'll need to go to Chiang Mai for that...where the rescue elephants from trekking. Whether you're an animal rights activist or not, there's nothing very caring about "elephant trekking"...whether it's in Phuket, Samui, or elsewhere in a tourist-heavy location in Thailand.

We did the 60 minute elephant trek, which involved a quick roundabout a pretty basic trail. A third of the time was consumed by waiting for other elephant traffic on the trail to clear. We got some nice photos for the scrapbook, but there was little interaction with the elephant...which was kind of the point of going. Some customers got to play mahout and "drive" but that wasn't offered to us. The waterfall is pretty, again providing a great photograph, but there's trash everywhere and the entire experience expires in about 12 minutes tops.

I wasn't overly saddened by the conditions like many other reviewers...but that's indexed to other experiences and the fact that we sought out an excursion that, inherently, uses animals in a way that wasn't intended by nature. If that's not ok with you, then DON'T GO ELEPHANT TREKKING.

Visited January 2014

• Thai first
uk
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 127 helpful votes
“Oh dear - is this what Thailand really wants to show to the world”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We wanted to do an Elephant Trek. We wish we had picked somewhere else. This was like a factory conveyor belt for elephant trekking. Not only that there was a heavilly drugged Tiger in a room being used for pictures with tourists.
Probably the worse experience we have ever had on any holiday we have been on.
AVOID it

Visited December 2013
1 Thank stevieboyUk
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Horrible place. ”
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

Do your researched before paying these people. I went on a safari tour and was taken to a place similar to this. I nearly cried watching the elephants do tricks. They are trained through being beaten. Same goes for riding them. One of the elephants at the place I went to was chained up swaying side to side with slow music on and a sign saying dancing elephant. Then I researched it a bit and discovered this is how the elephants behave when they have gone insane, and the thais play the music to turn it into something funny. The only reason these places run is because tourists pay them to. Please don't go, it's horrible and will make you feel heartbroken for the animals particularly the elephants

2 Thank Katie P
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Don't go there!”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

The animals are treated in a bad way and the mahouts are just greedy! never saw something like that. 100 Baht tip is not enough because we are europeans and have the money...
I never go there again and I recommend you to not go.

Visited December 2013
3 Thank rattazzi
Boston, Massachusetts
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Worst part of my trip to Asia”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

This was the low point of my 2 week trip to Asia. My husband and I went here as part of the safari tour we were on. I was initially upset by the way the elephants were treated on the elephant trek but when we saw where the animals were kept and the way they were treated at the shows, we had to leave and wait outside the park (as did many other people). The animals were very confined to small spaces or kept on very short chains. I heard children asking their parents why the elephants were constantly being hit and poked by the sharp stick. Everything about this place seemed cruel and unsafe.

There is a sign saying they were committed to ensuring the health, well- being, and safety of all animals at the park as well building a place for the tigers to live. This sign appears very old and worn out and we did not see any building of a tiger sanctuary but we did see tigers in very small cages on cement floors.

Terrible experience. Don't go and please don't bring your families.

Visited January 2014