“Excellent food, superb service.”
Review of Sala Thai

Sala Thai
Ranked #397 of 1,280 Restaurants in Ko Samui
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
UK
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent food, superb service.”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Easily one of the better restaurants in Lamai. You might pay a couple more baht (no much though), but the service is excellent, along with the food.

Lobster Thermidor for about £8. Its a no brainer. Great stuff!!.

Visited November 2013

Glasgow, Scotland
“Lovely location, great food”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

The Sala Thai restaurant is part of our hotel (The Bo Phut Resort & Spa) and is only open at night. It sits in on decking next to a pond. It is quiet, dark and romantic. A great place for our first night dinner after a long day of traveling.

All tables are outdoors so remember to bring your mosquito repellant! The staff were friendly and happy to explain the specials and the menu in general. We made our choices and took in our surroundings including a view into the kitchen itself.

We were served with a complementary square of Fried Tofu. I’m not a fan of Tofu but this was pretty tasty so maybe in future I wont steer clear of Tofu.

The main courses were excellent. I had the Beef Green Curry and it was rich and filled with beef. Rice was from a choice of steamed white rice or an organic brown rice and both were delicious with the curry.

Sala Thai boasts that its ice cream is home made so I had to try the chocolate and vanilla with caramel and fudge chunks. They were very good though melted quickly in the hot evening air.

The bill was reasonable for a hotel located restaurant and the head chef even made an appearance to ask how our meals were and answered some question about what we had eaten. Nice touch and a recommended restaurant.

• Visited September 2013
england
“Good meal, central location.”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Right in the heart of lamai high street, this busy and buzzing restaurant is a good place for a great meal and to people watch. Reasonably priced and good service. Worth a visit

Visited August 2013
1 Thank hixy
Leeds, UK
“Very nice food, a little lacking in character”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We went here in September 2013. It's on the main road running through Lamai, just down from the central square (which contains a small Thai boxing ring, hawker food stands, and "girl bars"). We managed to walk past it first time but if you check it out on the map (and/or ask in town) it's easy to find.

Service was pretty good, reasonably attentive, although I noted that we did get served after one or two other couples who were seated after us. The staff were a little flustered and running around at times - I had the feeling the place was quite officious (and perhaps whoever manages the floor staff is perhaps a bit strict) because it was a little like being served by automatons. The restaurant is, however, very clean (including the very good toilet facilities) which will please any potential customers who are a little picky about the places they eat appearing to be clean.

We both had fish, which is pretty much always the best thing to have in Samui as it's invariably (well, in most cases!) caught in the last 24 hours. I had barracuda, my wife had some sort of white snapper fish (which seems to be the SE Asian term for any white fish that doesn't have an obvious Western name). Both were beautiful fish, well-cooked, and with our choice of sauces. It's very much cooked to the Western palate, easy on the chilli and spices, which again may suit some but which I found a little disappointing.

My no.1 tip for this place would be to save some space for the chocolate fondant for dessert. We're both big fondant fans, and each had one on the recommendation of the waiter. It was one of the best chocolate fondants I've had anywhere, cooked to perfection and with a nice icecream accompaniment. Definitely the best part of the meal.

Price-wise, it's a little bit more expensive than a lot of the other places in Lamai, including most of the seafront places (which obviously have better views than Sala Thai, which just looks out over the slightly grubby main drag of Lamai), but not massively so. You can definitely eat a lot cheaper, but the quality is basically very good, and it's still considerably less than you'd pay for equivalent food in Europe, USA, Japan etc. It just didn't blow me away, and I found it slightly clinical and lacking in atmosphere in a town (and an island) that, for me, is all about the atmosphere. If you go, you won't be disappointed, but I'd be surprised if it knocks your socks off either.

• Visited September 2013
England
“Delicious”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

A beautiful setting and delicious food and cocktails! The best cocktails in Thailand actually.
I had the duck curry which I'd recommend, though be sure to specify how spicy you'd like it.

Visited July 2013