My wife and I stayed 4 nights in this hotel.
First of all I have to say that it is a really beautiful hotel with an absolutely stunning view over the gulf of Thailand.
Everthing is there what you'd expect from a 5 star hotel: Big rooms, large bed, spacious sun deck with sliding doors that allow you to enjoy the view.
Bathroom with rain shower, huge bathtub, etc..
So far so perfect
There are two options avaivable (I do not count the pool area as one, even though you can eat there as well)
Zest: Food is good, nothing to complain about.
However: with the polished marble floor you feel like sitting in waiting area of a train station.
The sound is terrible and did not make me comfortable at all. If weather conditions allow you can sit outside, where that problem is solved.
Nevertheless even outside one can observe another issue. The tables are set up so closely next to each other, that you need to overhear evey word from the neighbouring table, whether you like it or not.
The reason for that seems to be, that in the absence of a real alternative to this place almost every guest ends up eating here and because the space is limited, tables were moved closely together to accomodate enough guests.
The second restaurant is called Jahn.
The general concept is, to deconstruct regular thai dishes into their components and serve the parts either in isolation or in a modified way.
For my taste this worked for some of the courses, for others it didn't. In particular I was dissapointed by the Gaeng Massaman.
No question excellent work, perfect beef, great curry, all there, but no added value. Larb Gai on the other hand for me was great
Now lets talk about the point which I think is the biggest deficit: The service and the communication skills.
Unfortunately it is the case that in the reception area and in Jahn you'd almost every time encounter personnel fluent in english, whereas in all other aereas (telephone, Zest, Housekeeping,..) it seems more like a lottery to be understood or not.
Prime example: Housekeeping showed up for turn down service around 7 p.m. We were not ready for dinner and hence asked them to return an hour later.
Went to dinner, came back to the villa and no one had been there in the meantime
Called up, said if they could send someone, which happened - but only to leave us fresh towels.
Called up again and asked for some fresh water. Another 5 minutes we were delivered the water.
We thought, ok this can happen once, no problem...
As you can imagine, it was not the end of the story
Next day the exact same thing happend again.
After delaying the housekeeping, no one returned,so we had to call again.
There are other little things that I felt did not work as they should; Fruit was not peeled as I saw it on other places (melons for example had too much hard stuff from the skin on them), you had to request new cutlery during breakfast if your used one was taken away, glass of water on request only, not always were the tables completely set up, etc. - Again these are small details and nothing really serious, but they sum up tp a level contradicting the 5 star hotel standard aspired by the Conrad.
So all in all I am rating it still with 4 stars, given that the hotel and the way it's been build is overwhelming.
I sincerely hope that management will control the problems so that everything will work as it is supposed to.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Conrad Koh Samui is a luxury pool villa resort located on the south western tip of the popular Thai island, designed to ensure each private pool villa enjoys glorious panoramic views of the Gulf of Thailand and its astonishing sunsets. Consisting of 81 private pool villas with one, two or three bedrooms, 3 innovative restaurants, 2 lounges and bars, a private wine cellar and destination dining, the resort provides the individualistic sense of luxury that Conrad has become known for. The award-wining Conrad Spa combines international treatments and Thai spa techniques with distinctive design accents and world-class facilities to delight all of the senses. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Travelocity, Booking.com, Agoda, Hilton EMEA, Hotwire, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Conrad Koh Samui reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Conrad Koh Samui Resort And Spa
- Conrad Koh Samui Hotel Koh Samui