“Not as perfect as it could be”
Review of Conrad Koh Samui

Conrad Koh Samui
Ranked #22 of 316 Hotels in Ko Samui
Reviewed September 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed 4 nights in this hotel.

First of all I have to say that it is a really beautiful hotel with an absolutely stunning view over the gulf of Thailand.

Everthing is there what you'd expect from a 5 star hotel: Big rooms, large bed, spacious sun deck with sliding doors that allow you to enjoy the view.
Bathroom with rain shower, huge bathtub, etc..

So far so perfect

Restaurants:
There are two options avaivable (I do not count the pool area as one, even though you can eat there as well)
Zest: Food is good, nothing to complain about.
However: with the polished marble floor you feel like sitting in waiting area of a train station.
The sound is terrible and did not make me comfortable at all. If weather conditions allow you can sit outside, where that problem is solved.
Nevertheless even outside one can observe another issue. The tables are set up so closely next to each other, that you need to overhear evey word from the neighbouring table, whether you like it or not.
The reason for that seems to be, that in the absence of a real alternative to this place almost every guest ends up eating here and because the space is limited, tables were moved closely together to accomodate enough guests.

The second restaurant is called Jahn.
The general concept is, to deconstruct regular thai dishes into their components and serve the parts either in isolation or in a modified way.
For my taste this worked for some of the courses, for others it didn't. In particular I was dissapointed by the Gaeng Massaman.
No question excellent work, perfect beef, great curry, all there, but no added value. Larb Gai on the other hand for me was great

Now lets talk about the point which I think is the biggest deficit: The service and the communication skills.
Unfortunately it is the case that in the reception area and in Jahn you'd almost every time encounter personnel fluent in english, whereas in all other aereas (telephone, Zest, Housekeeping,..) it seems more like a lottery to be understood or not.
Prime example: Housekeeping showed up for turn down service around 7 p.m. We were not ready for dinner and hence asked them to return an hour later.
Went to dinner, came back to the villa and no one had been there in the meantime
Called up, said if they could send someone, which happened - but only to leave us fresh towels.
Called up again and asked for some fresh water. Another 5 minutes we were delivered the water.
We thought, ok this can happen once, no problem...
As you can imagine, it was not the end of the story
Next day the exact same thing happend again.
After delaying the housekeeping, no one returned,so we had to call again.

There are other little things that I felt did not work as they should; Fruit was not peeled as I saw it on other places (melons for example had too much hard stuff from the skin on them), you had to request new cutlery during breakfast if your used one was taken away, glass of water on request only, not always were the tables completely set up, etc. - Again these are small details and nothing really serious, but they sum up tp a level contradicting the 5 star hotel standard aspired by the Conrad.

So all in all I am rating it still with 4 stars, given that the hotel and the way it's been build is overwhelming.
I sincerely hope that management will control the problems so that everything will work as it is supposed to.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nuapad
Conrad K, General Manager at Conrad Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear Nuapad,

Thank you for taking the time to share your Conrad Koh Samui experience with us. Please allow me to apologies on behalf of the team for letting you down during your stays with us. I have, however, addressed your comments about the shortcomings of our service and communication with the team in our internal training programs. We will take the corrective measures necessary so as to ensure that our standards improve accordingly.

I sincerely hope you will consider a return visit in the future.

There are newer reviews for Conrad Koh Samui

Reviewed September 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed here on our honeymoon and loved the place. The rooms are luxuriously appointed and wonderfully private, the staff is friendly and detail-oriented, and the views are amazing. It's distance from the airport and other hotels is a plus, in my opinion. While you can find very nice, less expensive hotels around the island, if you're making the trip to Koh Samui, it's worth paying extra to enjoy this hotel.

Also, we recommend taking advantage of the free charter boat ride to a nearby beach, which includes snorkeling. A nice excursion.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marteen239
Conrad K, General Manager at Conrad Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear Marteen239,

Thank you for your review. We're thrilled that you and your wife had a wonderful stay and appreciated our beautiful villa and the view. The view never tires for us too - it's gorgeous year-round. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you and your wife back again at Conrad Koh Samui, maybe for your 1st Wedding Anniversary!.

Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

Speechless amazing hotel. I never had nice hotel like this in my life before ... I know many expensive hotel resort in Samui but Conrad is the best ...nice pool vila room and sooo kind staffs and very nice food with very low price ... I will go again soon im sure

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Hyun90

Dear Hyun90,

I can’t thank you enough for your review and am truly elated that you had such a nice stay. It would be a joy to welcome you back to Conrad Koh Samui again in the future.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

We are a group of five and stayed at the two bedrooms villa. Upon arrival, we have a limosine pickup directly to the hotel. Wow! What a magnificent check in area! There is a Mandarin speaking lady welcoming us . We need to wait a bit for the room but it is not a matter as the room is ready by the time we finished our lunch in Zest. Very delicious food with good view.

The villa wows us so much. Breathtaking view, with kitchen, with private swimming pool where we spent a lot of quality family time there. Excellent in-villa-dining. All the staff are very helpful and trying to fulfill every single request in a fast manner. They are all very eager to serve. Buggy service is fast and a nice experience as well.

On the second day, we take the complimentary fastspeed boat to the beach nearby. We ordered pinic lunchboxes and there are staff members at the beach as well to take care all your needs, give you water and place a mat on the beach for you. We are treated like kings and queens. The man in blue shirt is so sincere. I should have asked his name to thanks him here. The boat went to another pier so we can see the whole hotel outlook, it is just like a postcard picture! Spa Service is good. We had dinner at Jahn. The whole dinner is actually quite long as we are tired, but it is expected in a fine dining restaurant.

All in all, Conrad Koh Samui is the best hotel here. We just stayed at the hotel and the beach and went nowhere, there are lots of things for you to explore just in the hotel. I would highly recommend travellers looking for an ultimate private relaxing vacation.

Thank you every one at the hotel who gives us a memorable three days in our lifetime!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank XKevinX

Dear XKevinX,

I am pleased to hear that you have a wonderful time with us at Conrad Koh Samui. I have shared your kind words with the team and to Mr. Rakpol (the sport man in the blue shirt) in particular. Thank you for sharing your experience. We only hope you will have the chance to return again in the future.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I think that Conrad is one of the best resorts in Koh Samui. Everything was perfect. And I was very impressed with the kindness of the hotel staffs. The location of the hotel is somehow far from the famous beaches, but there are plenty of things to do in the resort.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Conrad Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank CSTSeoul_SouthKorea
Conrad K, General Manager at Conrad Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Dear CSTSeou_South,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am very happy that you had a wonderful stay with us. I have shared your kind words with the team and they are thrilled.

Should your travels bring you back to Koh Samui, we hope you will stay with us again.

Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Conrad is wonderful, beautiful hotel who live up the 5 stars rating. The room is very beautiful and with infinity private pool. The staff and nice but not very warm, typically business like I would say so it is not the best for a vacation destination like koh Samui. The food is just so freaking awful. The worst breakfast I've ever had and the driest pork chop I had in my life. The location is remote and not so nice beach area. I would recommend anatara resort instead.

• Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank CelineSL
Conrad K, General Manager at Conrad Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2013

Dear CelineSL,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and for your kind words on facilities and service. Regards to breakfast food quality and the warmness of staff, please rest assured that these observations are taken very seriously and are following up with the respective departments.
Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback and choosing to stay with us at Conrad Koh Samui.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

This is the first time I am commenting on Tripadvisor. Even though I have been reading the hotel reviews for years. It is the first time a hotel has so impressed me, that I feel compelled to share it.
I travel for a living and spend approx. 180 days a year in mainly 4-5+ star hotels around the world. So, as you can imagine, I experience the good and the terrible but overall they are all the relatively same. That is until now!

I stayed at the Conrad Koh Samui for the second week of a 2-week holiday in Koh Samui. I was with my wife and 3 children (5, 3 & 1) and stayed in a 2 Bedroom Villa.

When we first arrived to check-in the GM (Stefano) was there to greet us. He was very friendly and professional and gave us the feeling that he was personally interested in my family having a lovely experience. This was a great first impression.
I said to my wife “lets not get too excited, many hotels manage to ruin this feeling within a few days”.

So off to the room.

What a view! 250° view of islands and water.
The rooms were very clean. The design and furnishing was the style we like. My wife would like to install the same bathroom in our home.

The kids wanted to swim, so down to the hotel pool before it got to late. Once finished we saw my daughter had red eyes, probably from a little sun burn the day before or that she spends more time under water than above or just tired. We thought nothing of it and end with a room service and an early night.

At breakfast we were met by the F&B manager/Head Chef (Konrad). He was very welcoming. He not only explained the concept for the different restaurants, but also if there were any special dietary needs for our children or us. Basically, anything our children or we needed, it would be arranged. Even if it wasn’t on the menu.
He explained all about the hotel and activities and answered all our questions. Finally he said “ I heard about the incident yesterday”. We thought he must have mistaken us for another family as we only arrived yesterday. He continued explaining that during the management meeting this morning, they reviewed a report that had been written from the pool boy. The pool boy had noticed us looking at our daughters’ eyes the day before and reported it. So by the time we were at breakfast the pool water was being tested and adjusted for the correct pH levels and whatever else you measure in pools.
Impressed? We still were.
It was not only the management team with this level of customer service. All the staff had it. There are too many occasions to list, but a small final one was the maintenance team coming to our villa while it was being cleaned. I was told they are here to fix the draw. I knew nothing of it, but the housekeep had noticed one of the draws did not shut smoothly. So she called maintenance to fix it. We had thought the draw was fine. It is the small thing that really set a hotel apart. Believe it or night, I have stayed in hotels for weeks and they still can’t manage to fix items that I bring to their attention.
There was such pride and dedication in their jobs and with the hotel, I got the feeling they all personally owned shares in the hotel. It was truly amazing.

The quality of food was fantastic throughout the hotel including the room service. Even the children’s meals were delicious. I read comments before I arrived about the price of the food. I agree that it is a little on the high side, but totally disagree with the quality comments. It is excellent. The fusion (Thai with a twist) was well thought-out and I was hooked on the Thai style eggs Benedict.

The beach wasn’t as good as other hotel beaches, but the complimentary option of the hotel speedboat to another island 15 min away made up for it. Even on the other island, they have staff to assist you with the towels, setup and prepare your picnic lunch and also search the water to check for any undesirable creatures that might venture close to shore. The last point made my wife very happy.

Even though there weren’t many young children like ours staying in the hotel. The staff bent over backwards for them. Children meals were prioritised. As any parent will know, trying to feed tired kids and then having to wait 30-45 min for their meals results in them going crazy and us parents being stressed out. It didn’t happen here. Which made dinning with the kids a lot more relaxing.
The kids club (Turtle club) was ok. But there was no dedicated staff waiting there. Maybe because we were the only ones that would use it or maybe it was normal. However, as soon as we were there, a staff member would arrive. My only suggestion would be for a few more organised activities for them.
Normally, in most hotels the kids club has a closing time and that’s when the kids need to be picked up. However, at the Conrad, they always opened the room up for our kids even after closing. Which helps when the kids are on a different time zone or my wife and I want to enjoy a drink together in peace.

3 days before leaving one of our daughters got an earache. Nothing serious, but I asked if they had a house doctor. We were flying out and just wanted it checked. They don’t have a house doctor, but recommended the best hospital to go to. We decided to go and within 5 min there was a complimentary hotel transport and driver waiting for us whenever were ready and organised to go. The driver waited for us to visit the ENT specialist and drove us back. Afterwards the staff regularly inquired to her condition and if we need to go back to the hospital, they would arrange everything. It was honestly lovely to stay in this hotel.

Finally, to address the golf buggy situation. We stayed close to the top of the resort and it is a long trip to go down to the pool. But the hotel is built on a cliff and as a result provides wonderful views. So I guess, it goes hand in hand. Anyone that makes this a major issue will also complain about if the hotel was built on a flat piece of land, that he/she has no nice views.
Anyway, 95% of the time you will wait 5 min for a buggy and the longest we waited was 15 min (once). But we also need the larger golf buggy compared to regular guests that can go on the normal size buggies.

Without a doubt we will return to this hotel, most likely every year for the foreseeable future. If you have a budget and could choose 14 days in another hotel or 10 days in the Conrad, do something to treat yourself and choose the Conrad. You wont be disappointed. While the hotel is absolutely stunning, it’s the staff that sets is far apart from other hotels.

This probably sounds like I have been paid to write this, but bear in mind I spend half my life in a hotel or on a plane. I can’t remember the last time something in the service industry impressed so much.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Michael R
Conrad K, General Manager at Conrad Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear Michael R.

A heartfelt thank you on your wonderful review. I have shared your kind words with the team and they are thrilled. All of us at Conrad Koh Samui are looking forward to have you and your family with us again. See you again next year!