“The best on Koh Samui” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 314 Hotels in Ko Samui
Munich
“The best on Koh Samui”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

We had 5 wonderful nights at the Conrad. Probably the best place to be on Koh Samui. For sure the one with the nicest sunset on the island. The setting is fantastic. Every villa has seaview. Service and food qualty at the restaurants are great. The Conrad is a bit far away from the next town, but you can use the limoservice or rent a motorbike - what we did - and explore the island. The villas have private pools, so you can just spend the whole day in you villa, if you like.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stayed in the basic sized suite which was really spacious and had the largest private pool I've experienced with a pool suite - you can actually swim and the view from the pool is amazing. Staff were great and thoroughly enjoyed staying here. Will definitely come back.

The only negative would be the lack of a beach if you want to swim in the gulf. The Conrad offers a free boat service to a nearby beach, but it's pretty mediocre. The boat trip to the beach is nice, but would have been happier if we could have turned around and come back to the Conrad. They really should have some comfortable seating and amenities

Room Tip: book any boat trips in advance... and ideally stay at least 3 nights if you want to go on an excursi...
1 Thank Will206
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

We traveled with a group of friends and it's our first time here. Our way to hotel was crazy as we took the flight to Surat then an hour car drive from airport to the pier. An hour and a half hour ferry to Na Thon pier then we rent a car and spent another hour drive to the hotel as there was not much signage but once we arrived all our exhausted were gone! The hotel was amazing with fabulous view. We were greeted warmly by Khun Anne, front office manager and got to our private pool villa by goft cart. Each villa is spacious with a pretty good size of private pool. We did not want to go anywhere else after seeing our room. We enjoyed the best sea view and super romantic sunset at the hotel pool. There are couple of choices for dinning. We had dinner and breakfast at Zest. Must try Thai egg Benedict during breakfast time...super yummy! There were so many things that we enjoyed during our trip and the most impressed that make us feel luxury and warm is every hotel staffs that we met during our stay greeted us "Sawasdee kha/krub". I seriously can say every single of them. Well done Conrad Samui team. You really make our stay memorable!

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Poywaraha
Oakland, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

My wife and I recently completed a fantastic 10-day award stay at the CKS. Here are some impressions and observations regarding the place. I'll try not to repeat too much the wonderful, insightful comments that others have already offered about this hotel and its great rooms, views, service, etc. But I suspect that as I rave about it some duplication will definitely come through.

In any event:

1. With the exception of the dearly departed (from the Hilton chain :() Beach House Maldives, the rooms are the best basic award hotel rooms, Hilton or otherwise, that we've ever experienced. By "basic," I mean those that you get without paying for an upgrade. (And that includes the Hiltons at Bora Bora and Moorea, in that at those properties you have to pay for OWBs.) Roomy, very private, incredible view, private pool, etc.
2. Obviously handing out on our own deck with our own pool was great, but we were surprised by how much we liked and used the hotel pool area as well. Three wonderful choices at and near the pool: the lounge chairs with legs a few inches deep in the pool itself; the bales (basically king sized outdoor mattresses) and about eight lounge chairs and a couple of hammocks one level below the pool, in the artificial sandy area that in turn is one level above what some might consider a beach (but which we and no one else we saw used for swimming). My wife liked the pool lounges and bales the best; I agree that they are great, but liked the sandy area lounge chairs even more because they were right by the water and got good afternoon shade from the nearby trees.
3. As you probably know, the one major downside (the only major downside, to my mind) is that there is no beach. I would go back to this hotel in a flash, but I did miss the opportunity that so many other seaside resorts offer, to take long walks along a beautiful beach. No way here, although...
4. A couple of mornings we did walk over to the nearby Coconut Villa Resort, about 25 minutes away, before breakfast. I don't include it in the "walk along a beautiful beach category" because it is a bit of a hassle and not that beautiful. You get down to the CKS sandy area below the pool, turn left (as you're facing the ocean) along the paved path that has some grass growing through it, and find one of the places to clamber down a few feet to the rocky beach below. The best place seems to be well before the end of that path, at a couple of largish rocks to your right, where in turn there are a few other rocks you can use to get down to the beach. Then, after walking along for a while, and depending on the tide, you wade through water at a couple of points or need to get back up to a dirt path that must have been used in constructing the hotel. That path in turn gets you back to the beach leading to Coconut Villa. If we didn't have breakfasts included as HH Diamond, I certainly could have seen taking a few inexpensive breakfasts and massages at the CV. But not needing to do that, we were content with just a couple of walks. I wouldn't recommend it unless, like us, you like to explore.
5. Speaking of exploring, we also walked along the shore other way, to Elements Boutique Massage. But I would not recommend it this to anyone, as most of this hour-long walk was a potentially ankle-twisting struggle over lots of rocks. Only for the masochistic or the stupid...I'd put us in the latter category. :D
6. However, Elements was well worth visiting, for decent Thai meals (we ate there twice) and wonderful massages at perhaps 1/3 the price of the CKS. (Something like $50 versus $150 per person for two hours.) We did try the CKS massages and liked them, and the CKS setting can't be beat. But we actually liked the Elements massages slightly more. And aside from some faint twitters of voices that the soft music mostly drowned out (enough so that I dozed off), the ambiance was quite fine. I can't recall the Elements meal prices exactly, but my guess is that it was something like $10-12 per head for food and another $5 for a couple of beers. We ate at the cheaper of the two Elements restaurants, outside on the beach, but there is another swankier one if you're interested.
7. Back to Coconut Villas: my guess is that meals and massages there might even be cheaper than at Elements, since it is a more basic (but still decent-looking) place. But we did not check that out.
8. It didn't seem that either of these other two places were good for going into the Ocean. We saw a few folks doing so at Elements, but it seemed that they were sitting in the shallow, small bay at the hotel.
9. Anyway, CKS will readily provide rides to either place for about $7 one-way. You either have to have the other hotel call the CKS to pick you up or, at least with Elements, get a ride back at the same price (though in either event you have to give about 30 minutes notice).
10. We also ate at the nearby Green Talay restaurant once and the slightly farther away Five Islands restaurant twice. We liked them both, though I'd say the food was better at the GT and the setting much nicer at the FI (though the GT was fine), since you can eat right by the water with your feet in the sand and looking out at the aptly named five islands (that you also see from the Conrad). I think that the CKS transport to GT was also $7 each way; to FI it was about twice as much. Again, I don't recall the prices too well, but I'd say dinner for two including appetizers and a couple of glasses of wine would be about $60-80.
11. The food at the Conrad was quite fine as well. We didn't do any of the fine dining options, but instead ordered room service or ate by the pool. Great quesadillas by the pool, for example, though different from traditional Mexican and on the small side. The Thai dishes were surprisingly good as well - certainly not the best I've had, but better than I expected given that Thai food in hotels is often on the bland side. Given that we had big, late breakfasts and in the tropical weather our appetites were not huge, we usually got by with late afternoon meals for perhaps $50-60 for the two of us. And the breakfasts were fine - not the world's most extensive buffet selection, but very much more than merely adequate.
12. We supplemented these meals with small snacks and, more importantly ;), wine and booze that we picked up duty free and at the Tesco's we stopped off at en route from the airport. I'd say the difference between duty free and Tesco's for alcohol was that the former was perhaps 30 percent cheaper. Anyway, Tesco's is very big and well stocked, except it didn't have tonic water. :( We had to make due with the CKS supply of that.
13. Like me, before visiting some folks want to know what the best rooms are. I'd say the question is less relevant for the CKS than for most other hotels because they are all wonderful, private villas, spread over three levels, with almost all having unimpeded, wonderful views looking out to sea and sunset. (The upper levels, four through seven, are all residences that I believe are sold for part-time use, and are just about impossible to bag as upgrades.) The 100s are considered the most basic, with Hilton Honors status (or perhaps paying more) getting you in 200s and 300s. As far as I know, the rooms are the same on all three levels - they certainly look that way on the outside - though perhaps the 100s have one or two less bells and whistles.
14. Anyway, each of these three levels is divided into two parts, on either side of the Zest restaurant where you eat breakfast (and I suppose other meals) and the reception area. Which level you are on, including which side of a give level, determines how much of a climb up or down it is to the restaurant/reception. Though having said that, I'll go against the consensus on this thread and say that for the most part the climb is not that bad. The worst hike, up to 306-316 (to the left of the restaurant as you're facing the ocean) is maybe one steep minute at a good pace and two minutes at a slog to get to 309 at the top of that section, then another minute or two more to 316. It's something I certainly would not want to do on a regular basis. But the hikes up and down the hills to the other sections seemed to be less than that. Now, I should add that we live in a hilly area and are used to such trudges -and in fact like doing it for exercise - and that in the hot tropical sun even a short walk can be a sweaty one. So I can certainly understand why most guests opt for the buggies, which almost always arrive within a few minutes of being called.
15. So, having said that there is not much of a difference at all among the rooms, I'll nevertheless offer the following observations and recommendations. If you understandably want to avoid much of a hill in getting to breakfast and reception, opt for 209-222, to the left of Zest as you face the ocean. The path is pretty level until 218, then goes slightly up. Within that section, the best room would seem to be 220 because there is a large gap between it and 219 and its side window - each villa has a medium sized window on one side - looks out over that gap. The view from the side can be nice, though you'll of course be gazing out straight ahead much more often. Anyway, by virtue of that gap 219 and 220 have a bit more privacy - though I must emphasize that all of the villas are pretty private.
16. The other 200 section, 201-208, is slightly down a hill from Zest, so a bit of a climb.
17. We were in 305, up a hill from Zest (though the hill was only about half the height of that leading to 306-316), nearest the restaurant compared to the rest of our section, 301-304. So we did not have any unit to one side either, affording us a nice view from the side out at the resort, and I would definitely recommend this room. But if I were to go back, my very slight favorite would be 304. Even though it has units on both sides, it is above both of them, so seems a bit more private in that respect.
18. Down from Zest and to the left as you face the ocean, 108-126 is fairly level. The nicest spot in that block would seem to be 119, which like 220 has a gap to its right and a window overlooking the gap. Again, by virtue of the gap, 118 and 119 would seem to have the most privacy.
19. 101-107 is the lowest section, with at least a few units (104-106) having their views apparently partly blocked by trees, so being the least desirable.
20. No room is completely private, if by completely private we mean something like no one being able to see you in your pool, doing whatever you might be doing. But 301-305 seem to be the most private by virtue of no row of villas directly above them. And, as indicated, 304 would be the most private by virtue of being above the two units on either side.
21. On the other hand, I'm not sure I've covered all of the units that might have partly blocked views. So I'd suggest that if you might end up in the 100s you write ahead to request that you not have a tree blocking your view.
22. You certainly can write ahead to the hotel to request certain rooms, though don't count on the hotel honoring that request since it's not going to keep a room empty many days in advance.
23. Ok, enough about the rooms!
24. We found the service to be pretty uniformly friendly and great. Yes, there were occasional times when the imperfect English knowledge or pronunciation of a few staff members made communication a bit difficult. But that goes with the territory of foreign travel, even at upscale resorts. The more important thing to my mind is the attitude of personnel, who seemed to be quite nice and proactive.
25. Nice gym. On the small side with just a few weight machines and perhaps half a dozen aerobic machines (including the first such machines that I could access the internet and check my email on, though the connection was bit glitchy). But given how few people used it, the gym is more than adequate.
26. As for Koh Samui itself, I'm a bit cautious in offering an assessment (this was our second time there), in that I do international development work - so things that I take for granted might be new and interesting to other folks. Anyway, take my assessment with a grain of salt. But it is quite a touristy and developed island - though thankfully no big high rises - with what were once the nicest beaches (on the east coast) being on the crowded side now. But still some relatively pleasant and less developed beaches in the north. Some temples and other sites to see -though I'd skip the waterfall (sorry, can't remember the name) we visited. It might be fun to drive through the center of the island to try to get off the beaten path...if the beaten path isn't already there. DON'T do the elephant rides, at least the ones near the waterfall, as it looked to us like they were pretty poorly treated.
27. I'd think it would be fairly easy to drive around CKS if you could get used to driving on the left side of the road. But for the one full day we bopped around, we opted for the Mr. Samui taxi service. We also used Mr. Samui to get to and from the airport. Nice guy with what seemed to be relatively reasonable prices: $100 for a full day of driving and about $75 total for RT airport transportation.
28. A couple of minor hassles with internet connections. Though my wife's Ipad, my phone and the hotel Ipad that came with the room all had very fast connections, we had to reset them at least once a day. The hotel does have a good IT guy who can help with this and other issues. Resetting can be as simply as holding the power button at the back of the room's Mini Mac (or whatever it's called) for a few seconds, but it can also be more complicated. The other issue was that when I tried to print my boarding pass I found that the computers being used by reception staff were very slow.
29. I've delved into so many details here that I just want to repeat the big picture evaluation: This is a fantastic hotel, one of the best we've ever visited.

14 Thank Southside
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

spent 3 nights at the Conrad. Picked up at the airport, initially could not find the rep but we were actually in the wrong area. If you have hotel pick up arranged, go past the meeting area to a moving horizontal escalator and around the corner, this is where all the reps for the hotels hang out. Once we were picked up, drive to the hotel was about 45 minutes.

Our room was higher villa, number 315 and it was very nice, clean and good view. there is actually an ipad in every room and this is great for looking up new or info while relaxing in the pool. Had a glitch the second day with our air con not working. Had to call threes times to get it sorted out. they sent a technician after the first call but his english was not very good so i had to call sercive desk twice to get translations. Was working well after that until the power went out (which is does every night when the hotel has to switch to their own generators from the main island power). Unfortunatley after this, the a/c did not go back on. Called again and they sent the tech back. Was actually scheduled for the Cellar dinner that night and had to go to dinner. Asked that they have the ac back by the time we came back from dinner. They said they would. Got up to the Cellar and was met by Ann the duty manager who informed us that they had a 2 story villa ready for us to move to after our dinner if we wanted. Well I was most impressed and definitely took them up on their offer. The two bedromm villa was huge!, almost 2500 square feet with a circular bed. Spent the next 2 nights there with larger pool. Was amazing. Now this was customer service. Was very impressed with how they handled the situation.

Dining: did inroom the first night, food was good, but the star was the cellar dinner. the cellar is large and comfortable with a great selection of wines. Cha was the sommelier and she was very knowledgable in her wines. The menu was very good and they accomodated my wife's restrictions. Had dinner the last night at Jahn. This was also very good and service was good there too.

Check out the next am was very smooth and while i was checking out they brought my wife 2 large bags. These were filled with take away breakfast and water. It was packed with egss, buns and fruit and cutlery. We ate these at the airport and it was very delicious. This again is a sign of excellent customer service.

Pros - very helpful and friendly staff, though some have a more limited command of English but they try very had despite this.
- the villas, the views are amazing, the beach is not so good but when you have a private pool overlooking the entire area who needs a beach.
- Cellar dinner. Very nice with good menu and they accomodate your restrictions very well.

Cons - villas are overlooking each other somewhat so privacy is not 100%. While we were there heard and saw some stuff that should have probably been done indoors if you know what I mean. Not that this is the resorts fault, more that people should realize that this is not 100% private and act accordingly.
- location. Very far from anything else and need to take a car to see things. But if you come here to relax like we did then this is a very minor problem if even at all
- steep hills, needs to take buggy everywhere, forget about walking to the lobby or restaurants, only drawback is you have to call a buggy, but the wait was not that long.

Overall, would definitely recommend this place. Overal quiet, excellent rooms with excellent views and excellent service. Definitely the location to go in Koh Samui for rest and relaxtion

Room Tip: higher up the cliff the better
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Cantquittravelling
Wolves UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

What can I say! The resort is stunning , the villas amazing with your own infinity pool which you can actually swim in and sit and watch the sun set but you are totally marooned there and the quality of food is not good. Even their Michelin star restaurant was disappointing and drastically over priced, £15 for a bottle of local water! Come on guys, get real.
The staff are fantastic, nobody could do enough for you.
All I can say is thank god for Hilton points, shame about being so isolated from the rest of the Island and the disappointing food.
The complimentary speed boat trip to a deserted Island was a real let down, the tide was coming in on the litter strewn beach. The hotel staff who were with us for over an hour could have used the time to at least clear all the hotel plastic water bottles from the beach and makeit a bit more presentable.

Room Tip: All rooms are good.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank upeteri
tokyo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

I had stayed at w retreat ,vana belle and I recommend this place if you not travel with family ! Perfect view! Good for a couple or stay alone! You can relax and do your work all day in your room !! if you don't mind about beach here is the best choice! every room have a good view and worth for money!! I'll be back here again