“Fantastic stay”

Ranked #20 of 315 Hotels in Ko Samui
Los Angeles
“Fantastic stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for 7 nights with husband and daughter, from 1/16 to 1/23. We had a fantastic time!

ROOM

It was large, very modern, ample storage and beautifully decorated. Of course, the best part was the pool, great view and very clean. A few minor, minor issues:

The lighting system is a bit confusing.

The housekeeping service, although very thorough and a very friendly staff, can come very, very late in the afternoon. This is not so great if you are out for a day, hoping to return to a clean room to freshen up, only to find that it is not done up.

Still can't figure out how to fully work the TV system by the time we check out.

STAFF

Fantastic staff, from top to bottom! Roman was very hands-on every morning to make sure we are enjoying our breakfast and chat with us about our plans for the day. Mong (?), who accompanied us to the private island charter, is beyond nice and always on hand to help take our photos. Spa staff was also very nice. Concierge staff, like everyone else, always smiling and always courteous. "Buggy" staff are also A+! Did not encounter one unpleasant staff member! Thank you!!

GROUNDS

Stunning and breathtaking!

LOCATION

A bit remote; as a result, we were limited on dinner choices. Since we did not feel confident about driving on the left side of the road, we did not rent a car. We had to rely on the transfer services available to get to the couple of restaurants nearby. Green Talay was stellar. 5 Islands was good but pretty expensive for what you get. We did dine on premise a few times (Zest for breakfast everyday, Azure for lunch and dinner and room service twice). Food was adequate and price was what is expected in a high-end hotel.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay. Would definitely go back if given the chance.

Room Tip: Take the complementary private island charter (offered 3 times a day, weather permitting). Also, ask...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank gccc116
Justin P, General Manager at Conrad Koh Samui, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear gccc116,

I can’t thank you enough for your review and am truly elated that you had such a fantastic stay. The team and in particular Roman and Mong are thrilled to know that they created a memorable stay for you and your family. It would be a joy to welcome you and your family back to Conrad Koh Samui.

Justin Phillips

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Pensacola, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

If you're paying such a high price to stay at this resort, you should get what you paid for but in our case, it was FAR from what we got.

I stayed at this resort with my family from December 27, 2012 to Jan 1, 2013. Yes, there a few positive things to say about the Conrad but our personal experience at this hotel was greatly overshadowed by the negatives. I suggest future guests to read this review to get a more well rounded idea of the Conrad.

Pros:
The view: Waking up every morning to a view of the islands and sea was majestic.
House keeping staff: Polite and very thorough.
Villa: We had a two bed room villa and it was beautiful inside. The infinity pool was a nice touch although I wish it was not a salt water pool.
Zest and Azure: Zest is the restaurant we went to for breakfast each day. They had a good variety of food for us. Azure is the pool bar which serves American food and 'fast' food.
Spa: Typical luxury hotel/resort spa.

Cons:
Buggy system: At this hotel, you have to use the phone in your hotel to call a golf buggy to your villa. Typically, they would take around 10 minutes to get there. For our family of 5, we had to sometimes use 2 buggies depending on their size. My major ANNOYANCE from this is that when your electricity is down in your villa (and it happened for AN HOUR one day) you cannot leave your villa at all. It is impractical to walk anywhere because of the slopes and how far everything is from each other.

Power shortage EVERY DAY: We experienced a power shortage while at the Conrad every day. It ranged from being out for 5 minutes to our last day when it went out for a whole HOUR. As you can imagine, this is terrible since we could not use our phone to call a buggy, there was no AC at all, WiFi was down and we had no control of the situation. If there was an emergency or we had to catch a flight, we would have been screwed. This did not just happen at our villa. We experienced a power shortage while eating dinner at Jahn, their fine dining restaurant.

Jahn: This supposedly 'fine dining' restaurant was great initially. We ordered 3 sets of the set amuse bouche course and two people ordered a la carte. The first few courses came in a timely fashion and tasted great. We were all singing praises to the chefs. Until it came to the main course. We waited close to an hour from the last course we had to the main course. When we asked our waiter, very nicely several times, to check on our main course, they would give a BS excuse and we would sit there waiting without an answer. My dad was on his phone and his phone battery actually died during the duration in which we waited. When our main courses finally came, they were cold like they'e been sitting out for a while. Worst of all, everyone who entered the restaurant after us all left before us. Jahn charges their customers so much money and their chefs are supposedly Michelin star chefs, yet they cannot produce a dinner service - VERY disappointed to say the least.

Isolated location: It takes at least an hour to go to town/anywhere from the Conrad.

Ants in the bed: I got over 30 ant bites on my arms and legs after I slept in my bed one night. We did get a complimentary car service to go to the pharmacy but it tainted my experience.

Waiters at Jahn: Rude.

Beach: A small, sad stretch of a beach. You are also not allowed to swim in it.

Overall, I see a lack of management at the hotel and obviously, they have electrical issues. This could be somewhat overlooked if the Conrad didn't charge so much for their 'service' but since they do, I expect them to have a higher standard.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
14 Thank Vanessa Y
Justin P, General Manager at Conrad Koh Samui, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Vanessa Y,

Please allow us to again express our apologies for your dissatisfaction with your recent stay. We are delighted that you found our Housekeeping team, our villas and the views from them, and our Zest breakfast to be to your satisfaction.

I am however sincerely concerned about the experiences that you describe with the power outages. The resort is indeed equipped with generator sets sufficient to power us on full occupancy for a number of days, and these generator sets are equipped with auto-transfer switches that cut over to generator within 30 seconds on average of any mains power outage. Our records indicate that the prolonged outage you experienced was due to an isolated component failure in your villa that was subsequently rectified. I sincerely regret that your experience in this regard was not consistent with our normal service offering.

I also apologise for the shortcomings you experienced in our buggy service. Whilst our general feedback on this service is very good, your comments will further assist us to identify areas in which improvements can be implemented.

Whilst I understand that these issues significantly impacted upon your enjoyment of the Resort, I sincerely hope you will consider a return visit in the future.

With sincere apologies,
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

My husband and I went to this resort to celebrate our anniversary. We have been to several Conrad/Hilton properties around the world (Bali, Maldives, etc) - and this one is our favorites to date. The villas are absolutely beautiful, and the infinity pool is the best we've encountered. The people are AMAZING with spectacular service. I agree with others that the language is a bit of a barrier, but with patience and speaking slowly - we were always able to accomplish what we needed. We enjoyed the in-room dining as you truly do not need to leave your villa to have a great time. I did yoga twice and the instructor is fantastic. The fitness center is nice and if you like to have wifi on vacation - the room has an excellent signal. It also had more a more high tech TV/DVD/iPod/Apple TV system than we have in our home. That being said, it was easy to use - even for me and I am not all that technically inclined.

Things are a little on the pricy side (food and beverage), so I would recommend a trip to the "Family Mart" where you can buy very cheap beer ($1USD per bottle), wine and spirits. Conrad will take you by taxi for about $12USD.

We took the boat over to the private beach which I would highly recommend if you like to swim in the ocean/be on the beach. There aren't beach chairs, etc, but the Hilton personnel provided beach mats and did everything they could to make it comfortable there (bring us cold water, etc).

The breakfast was outstanding, as was everything we tried - from pizza to all the thai food items. The staff even packed a lunch for us to take to the airport as our flight left at lunchtime.

We had a couples thai massage which was amazing. The spa is one of the nicest I have ever seen.

We live in the US, so the only downside is the VERY long trip. Our luggage was lost on both directions of the trip. Our bags arrived to Koh Samui about 6 hours after we did, and one of our 2 bags did not make it back to Los Angeles with us. If it is at all possible (you can only have 7 kilograms which is not much), I would carry-on your bags. The good news - both times we were able to get our bags back, but it was a bit of a hassle.

Overall, if you like a very private resort, you'll love it here.

Room Tip: We were in the 300's and it was nice because the walk to breakfast and the pool/fitness center w...
2 Thank sandra2435
Dear Sandra2435,

We truly appreciate your kind words regarding your stay with us and are happy to hear you and your husband had a great experience. Our team strives to make each guest’s stay special and we only hope you will have the chance to return again in the future, it would be a joy to welcome you and your husband back to Conrad Koh Samui.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

I struggled a bit about choosing between 4 or 5 stars for the Conrad Koh Samui, as there are a few issues which need ironing out, but overall, we had an amazing time, and it's the best resort we have ever been to, so I'm going with 5/5.

So first of all the good stuff:
The villa's are absolutely amazing - you don't really need to leave them to have a smashing holiday. We spent so much time in our own pool with the awesome views that are all really quite private, it was idyllic.

The staff are so eager to please, and especially They, Aris, Cha and Roman, so very helpful. We were treated with the utmost respect all the time.

We had the truffle dinner, and whilst it is expensive, for the price we got a personal waiter and Chef. If you can push the boat out, you absolutely must, it was our memorable meal of our holiday, a lot more so than the very good meal we had at Table 99 at Dinner on the Rocks.

We went on Hilton Points, and what we got for our points vs. what we got in the Maldives just doesn't compare. We got our own infinity pool and a beautiful villa, whilst in the Maldives to get your own pool requires $300 per day in excess of the standard points per day. A no-brainer.

The SPA treatment was very worthwhile - our masseurs were tiny with so much power. Amazing.

The free water is really a lovely touch.

So the points needing improvement:

Our biggest issue is the language difficulties. It is Thailand,and most people don't speak English, but this is an American chain and you should be able to order a mushroom risotto with ease. Depending on the staff member, this can be difficult. And trying to put together a bespoke spa day was very complicated, but you do succeed if you a just a little patient. But i understand everyone is taking English classes, so this is probably going to get a lot better.

The entertainment system is good, but overcomplicated. It would be easier to have a docking station for our ipod, trying to play the ipod through the Senuti software is complicated and doesn't have the functionality of plain simple itunes.

And the resort doesn't have a good beach. We didn't take the boat trip to the private beach as we knew that there were no major services on that beach, no chairs or umbrella's. We are also pool people more than beach people. However if you are beach person, the options are not brilliant.

A big simple improvement would be signage to the hotel, especially in the last 3km. If you arrive independently after dark, you will struggle a bit to find your way to the very steep entrance.

Some tips:

Diamond members do very well here. The breakfast is free and amazing, a great spread. Another guest said after a while you know what you want, and I concur, but when you get bored there is always something else to have. Given how expensive it is in the resort, if you get the free breakfast make the most of it.

For a reasonable lunch, rather go to Zest than Azure. Zest has some reasonably priced simple food that actually is rather good. Spag bol, risotto's, burgers, and air-conditioning if you need.

Azure has some deals which are nice (and the mojito drench is the best one, the mussels not that much of a deal), but it is like an oven around the pool. The heat becomes unbearable after a short time. Around the pool is better.

Take the morning yoga / aqua classes, they are very good, and for beginners too.

If you are staying more than a few days, hire a car. I can't emphasise this enough. The resort is on the opposite end of the island from a lot of things (a real bonus actually) but if you rely on hotel transport or taxis, very quickly your bill will be more expensive than hiring a car. Hiring a car gives a lot of flexibility.

Go for dinner at Green Talay or the Five Islands if you want a cheaper simpler meal. Green Talay is more local trattoria, Five Islands has an amazing view and slightly fancier food, but is more popular so you don't get the same service you get at Green Talay. Still, meals at both are less than half the price of a meal at the Conrad, so if you are on a budget....

Happy hour is a bit hit and miss. Some nights we were alone, johnny no mates, but on our last night, we met some other nice people. Go to happy hour when it is up at Aura, it seems to be most popular.

On that, if you want a lot of socialising, it's the wrong resort. This appears to be a honeymooners resort. At the Conrad Maldives we met a lot of people ad not so much here, I think this is because of the private pools too. It wasn't a big deal for us, but for other people it might have been.

In conclusion though, despite the foibles, this is really an amazing place that I haven't stopped raving about since I got back home. It's a must for everybody who can go.

Room Tip: the 200s / 300s are best to be able to walk to breakfast. But every room is amazing.
2 Thank natholian
Dear Natholian,

Thank you for posting your comments regarding your stay at Conrad Koh Samui. I am pleased to hear that you had a fantastic stay. I have shared your kind words with the team and to Tey, Aris, Cha and Roman in particular, they are thrilled. We take great pride in providing exceptional service and we certainly take guest feedback to heart.

Thank you again for staying with us and we are hoping to welcome you back soon!

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

My husband and I were there in early Dec last year for a 4-night stay. We knew it was remote from everything and planned to have a retreat in the resort for whole trip. I suggest you don't think of going out unless you have a car. If you enjoy going around eating and shopping, I would suggest you to go for other hotels in Samui, in particular those in Chewang. And the resort does not have a beach!! If you want to stay close to the beach, Conrad Samui is not your cup of tea.
The villas are built along a steep cliff so that every room enjoys excellent sea view. The villas are built with an infinity pool. The pool of the villa is of good size that one can really swim in. You know the pools in some of the so called pool villas in Samui and Phuket are just of a size of a big bathtub.
However, I am not so happy that the view of about half of the pool is blocked by the canopy of a tree outside!!! We did not realise this problem coz we checked in late evening and it was already dark and we had settled down and did not bother to ask for change of room the next morning. The hotel should seriously reconsider the landscaping of the resort. It is good to have greenery around and between villas to improve privacy but not to block the views of the rooms.
The main restaurant Zest is only good for breakfast. Dinner was included in our package but both the taste and presentation of the food is totally not up to standard. Rice with Thai-style stir-fly served on a white plate made us feel like eating in a fast food shop and the dishes apparently taste like fast food. What made it worse was that they served the same menu of 3 starter choices and 5-6 main course choices for the whole period of our stay. The standard of the food left us no confidence to try the a la carte menu. Can't believe this is the standard of food in a 5-star hotel, not a trace of attractiveness and sophistication. The poolside Azure was a surprise for us. Nice and cozy in evening as most people had dinner at Zest.
My other comment is that management of Conrad Samui requires serious improvement. Many aspects of the hotel cannot meet the demand of customers. Since the hotel does not have a beach, they offer a free speed boat trip to a beach on a nearby island. However, only one trip was arranged per day during our stay. When we checked in on Sat night, we were advised that the boat trip was fully booked on Sun and Mon, leaving us the only option on Tue morning since we were leaving on Wed morning. It is obviously that the service provided does not meet with the demand. The management apparently has not thought of arranging more such trips probably coz it was low season. Guess what happened on Tue morning - we were told at the breakfast table that the boat trip had to be cancelled due to an accident. We thus asked them to try to arrange another boat to go in afternoon and they agreed. I was astonished to know that they did not have any plan B for such incidents and we were again being advised that no boat was available in the afternoon upon our own enquiry instead of they contacting us as promised. At the end, they arranged a remedial boat trip for us after I pressed for it. I appreciated them going for an extra mile for the arrangement but everyone in the service industry understands that one has to pay a higher price if it is not done well at the first instance.
All in all, the facilities of the resort are excellent. The staff are very good and try their best to serve the guests. However, the management of the resort does not manage it with heart.

Room Tip: All villas enjoys sea view so it does not worth to pay the premium for the water front villa. Avoid...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank pigroHK
Dear pigroHK,

Thank you for taking the time to write a response after your stay with us at Conrad Koh Samui. Your observations and feedback are appreciated, as they enable us to assess the standard of our facilities and services and monitor guest’s needs and expectations. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope to welcome you back whenever your travels bring you this way.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

Excellent hotel with a nice touch of exclusivity. Villa's have a decently sized private swimming pool and the villa itself is beautifully designed. Spacious, modern and a really nice bathroom. The one thing that bothered us was the food we had for lunch/dinner at Zest. All dishes were extremely flat and flavorless. Very surprising for a country known for their spices and tasty meals. At $20 per dish Conrad needs to deliver better. The breakfast on the opposite was good, both in terms of variety and quality. Would definitely go back, but eat outside of the hotel for dinner.

1 Thank Andreas B
Justin P, General Manager at Conrad Koh Samui, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Andreas B,

I am pleased to hear that you a wonderful time with us at Conrad Koh Samui. Thank you very much for your feedback regarding food at Zest, I assure you that our Executive Chef is taking immediate action on this. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

An idyllic resort perched on a hillside. The villas are all sea facing with lovely view of the ocean. The private infinity pool in every villa is indeed a selling point. The bathroom is spacious and the bed is comfortable. The service staff are friendly & helpful. The room is always tidied up every time we leave the room. After returning from dinner, the bath tub was already filled up with lukewarm bubble bath. Only issue I have is that the resort is too isolated, far away from all the party pubs and bars. No nightlife means Boring! I hope the resort can provide free transportation to those nightlife places if possible, then it would be awesome. By the way, I feel that the breakfast served is below this resort standard and rating.

Room Tip: The higher the better.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear GerAld_Wu,

Thank you for taking the time to share your Conrad Koh Samui experience with us. We’re delighted that you had a wonderful stay with us. Our team strives to make each guest’s stay special, and we only hope you will have the chance to return again in the future, it would be a joy to welcome you back to Conrad Koh Samui.