“Consistently excellent”

Cuisines: American, Thai, Fusion
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

I'm about to catch a flight to Singapore. My last lunch in Samui (for not too long) is at the Happy Elephant.

This will be my 4th meal here in a little over a week.

I've also enjoyed meals at The Address (x2) and Nikki Beach (x2).

Firstly, the location & situation of Happy Elephant, in the middle of Fisherman's village, slightly elevated above the beach with waves crashing 3 meters away, gives this venue a 5* for atmosphere for both lunch and dinner.

But lets get to the food.

Don't bother ordering off the menu: go outside and look at the fresh seafood and have a chat with the chefs. Get their opinion on what's just come out of the sea and the best way to cook it.

Personally I usually go for a whole squid plain grilled, and then I season it with their home made 'naam plik naam plaa' - one of the best condiments in the world.

Then a juicy Spanish mackerel or barracuda steak (the former being better to my taste).

Their wine list is very respectable but don't look past their house sauv Blancs for flavour and value.

Service is very friendly always with a smile.

Just an excellent Thai seafood restaurant on the beach.

See you again soon,

Alex

There are newer reviews for Happy Elephant

Reviewed January 16, 2014

On Our first night to the bophut beach we had many options to eat, and we were wanting to eat SEAFOOD, we are glad we ate at Happy elephant, The restaurant is amazing as far as food, ambience or service is concerned, the options for sea food and thai style food are amazing and we ate there since on every nite of our 5 days at bophut, the penang curry with chicken and lychees was yum, must try the garlic butter fried rice which is outstanding and something we dint find any where, the sea food can be bought by weight and cooked in the style you want, the staff is every too courteous to help and assist with the choices, Run by a husband and wife duo, with the wife running around the restaurant along with the staff helping diners, this place is the best to unwind each evening, Strongly recommend as a must on every diners list of must eat places in Samui. Please book tables if you want sea side view, because they are always full

Reviewed January 14, 2014

We were here twice during our stay in Koh Samui.
First time we went for Thaifood. This was very tasty and the prices were very good (about 18 Euros for 2 drinks and 2 dishes). The Restaurant has a very nice setting at the beach!
The second time we went for fish. We could choose our fish and they cooked half BBQ style and half deep fried with a super tasty sauce! This was a bit more pricy then the Thaifood (about 30euros for 2 drinks, a huge fresh fish for two ppl and some potatos)!

Reviewed January 13, 2014

We ate in the this restaurant a number of times over a 12 day period and were never disappointed. There was an extensive Thai and western menu - from Cesar Salads to Pad Thai the food was excellent

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Happy Elephant was recommended by the staff at our hotel. I was a little hesitant when I read the poor reviews of the restaurant. I am pleased to report that I not only had a good experience at Happy Elephant not only once, but twice (I returned several days later). The menu is a bit scary (I'm not a fan of restaurants who have menus similar to novels) due to I'm sure their interest in accommodating many international pallets. I want to remind you, this is Thailand, order Thai food. I highly recommend ordering from the Thai section of the menu - every dish I ordered was good, not all great, but good and tasty (and even spicy dishes are very mild). I recommended the Pineapple Fried Rice and definitely order fresh fish grilled to your liking. Stay away from wine, even the specials, Thailand's wine selection is below par and over priced. Water and soft drinks are fine. The service was great, we had the same waitress at each of our visits and she was prompt, efficient and kind.