“Safe choice for a Koh Samui vacation resort”
Review of Saree Samui

Saree Samui
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I usually rate business hotels, but this was a vacation trip and so one has to mindful about the different focus of a resort. For example, I had some small irritations including no iron/ironing board in the rooms and that it was difficult to get one, and poor TV reception, but then on vacation, those are minor issues for most people. A more pressing problem was the local 'wildlife', particularly the armies of microscopic ants that could get into a anything - but ask the staff for help on that. The resorts employees are very nice and nothing is too much trouble, but this isn't New York or Hong Kong, so one has to be patient. The food was great and prices seemed very reasonable. There is wifi available all over the resort. The infinity pool was in top condition with a wonderful view; a few steps away is a narrow sandy beach. I didn't try the spa and there is no gym. Guests seemed to be a mix of German, French, Brits and Australians. If you never been to Koh Samui before, let me also mention that in my opinion its a better bet than Bali as its infrastructure is better and the joy of using its excellent little airport alone (versus Bali's re-run of the 1990's TV show Jeux Sans Frontières) makes it a welcoming start to your visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near to pool area, as some of the rooms are a few minutes walk away.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Saree Samui

Reviewed September 7, 2012

I have stayed at a similar concept hotel in Gili island near Bali. This hotel can offer a serene experience for those who cherish quietness and privacy. The room is a complete villa with tropic-outdoor-oriented amenities. Where I stayed I have slept three most supreme nights of my entire trip to Thailand – if you are a sole traveler then you really need to enjoy being alone to enjoy this hotel. The place is quiet and it echoes people’s talks especially around the pool area.

The cons are that I got to hear my next door neighbors’ chatting sometimes, which was not convenient. The families at the great-view pool area struggled to keep their children quite but it was a bit annoying. The pool can be a bit too crowded.

The food was OK and the staff was the usual Thai-style friendly type. The beach is extended where you can walk for one hour or so, it was what I needed. The hotel is close to a ferry port and I believe that water can be a bit polluted. I think it was pleasure to stay there.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Stayed for 4 nights, had a tropical pool villa

Pros:

- Nice location, northern tip of Mae Nam beach, tranquil, secluded, relaxing
- Very nice food at the restaurant
- Lovely infinity pool
- Friendly staff
- Great wifi coverage all over the hotel
- Lovely appointed villas, the private pool is not really worth the extra money though

Contras:

- Service is sometime slow
- Garden conditions (both inside the villa and around the resort) MUST be improved, the plants are begging for help
- More sunlounges&umbrellas should be provided
- Stray dogs should be kept away by the hotel staff, rather than considered local pets. I like dogs but sometimes they have been pretty annoying.
- SPA pricelist is WAY too expensive

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank psychoactive
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We spent just under two weeks here for our honeymoon in May. I loved my stay here and would definitely return.
Good points:
-The lovely staff- they went out of their way to make us feel welcome, safe and catered for. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and I can't express how excellent the service was.
-The location. It's peaceful and beautiful and so under rated. This part of he island isn't as popular as chaweng or lamai which are really busy but that's the nice thing about it as it means you can really relax and there is no fighting over sun loungers :)
- The hotel lay out is lovely, it feels very special and is maintained well. All the rooms are set out in between trees and gardens which is lovely, and all feels very natural and relaxed. it's definitely not your usual concrete, tower block.
- The infinity pool is just beautiful.
- The rooms ( we stayed in a tropical pool villa) are spacious and safe feeling. Having our own pool was amazing.
- The hotel can help you arrange trips and tours which we really enjoyed
- You can rent mopeds from hotel for a very reasonable rate- we did this several days and it really is he best way to see the island and is great fun, just be careful as some of he driving on samui can be a bit scary!
- The hotel restaurant is designed well and we enjoyed relaxing here in the evenings sipping cocktails. There are a variety of nice restaurants nearby, particularly at the fishermans village which is less than ten minutes drive on a scooter/moped, however we found ourselves returning to the hotel restaurant time and time again.
- The breakfast are divine. A great selection and very tasty. Book bed and breakfast if you can.
- The spa is just brilliant, we didn't discover this until our last day when we treated ourselves to a royal Thai massage each before our long journey home and we enjoyed it so much we wished we'd tried the spa earlier as this is something we would have used lots more. Reasonable rates too.
Negative points:
- The outside shower only has cold water, which can be very refreshing however sometimes we missed being able to have a warm shower, especially when there was a slight breeze!
- The pool in our room didn't seem to stay clean for long and we had to ask for it to be cleaned several times. It annoyed me slightly that we had to keep asking for this to be done and this is the only reason I've not given the hotel 5 stars. I realise that leaves etc will blow into an outdoor pool and that's fine but I just felt that towards the end of the holiday the pool needed a full clean.

Those are the only negatives of our stay and i've put them really to let the hotel know o that they can maybe imprive those areas. everything else was exceptional and we had a very happy honeymoon here. I would not hesitate to return :)

Room Tip: If you can afford it, book a tropical pool villa. However don't pay extra for a sea view/ beach...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank FrecklePie
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Overall impression of resort: relaxing, quiet, for couples really I would say. I went with my friend and we felt a little bit awkward. Excellent value for money though, and we had a great time!!

Staff: incredibly helpful and attentive.

Spa: Really beautiful setting, appointments always available and they have a happy hour for cheaper treatments.

Location: Good for the pier, but not so good if you want to go to Chaweng or other restaurants. Not impossible, can always get taxis, but there isn't much within walking distance.

Room: Great little villas, plenty of space, very clean and comfortable. I loved that they had a dvd player and you could borrow dvds from reception for free.

Pool: awesome!! lovely loungers, bar right next to it. Has convenient parts where you can sit in the water and read your book at the same time.

Restaurant: Perfectly fine, but a little slow so leave plenty of time if you have to be somewhere afterward!

Room Tip: Poolside villas looked like the best ones to me, can open the doors right onto the beach.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Sydneypearl100
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Saree Samui is a very nice resort and is an excellent place for those looking to unwind and relax.

The facilities are very well maintained and staff very friendly. The pool is especially good. The outdoor bathroom and shower are quite nice but you need to be prepared for them. I liked them but others may be put off.

If you're wanting to shop or go to most of the bars you're in for a long and potentially costly journey if your haggling skills aren't up to par.

Use the tour sellers outside the resort. Unfortunately the resort tours are significantly overpriced and don't want to budge on price.

• Stayed: July 2012
5  Thank NicTonyNz
Reviewed July 14, 2012

We've booked 8D/7N in 3 tropical pool villas with our son, our daughter and her boyfriend. The place is great and located in a quitter place of Koh Samui and the personnel was very friendly and always helpful.

The villas with individual swimming pool, the main swimming pool, the beach and the food at the restaurant were all great. Main negative point is that there was no fitness center onsite...

But the best part for us was the spa and massage with an extremely friendly personnel and manager. I had a small dispute regarding my booking with the agency and my request for an additional free Thai massage as I paid for 6 people although we were only 5 people. The travel agency refused my request but the Spa manager gratefully offered a 30mn free massage to my wife to compensate.

It was definitively one of our best holidays in a wonderful place on Koh Samui!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family