“The Boudoir: Excellent Food and nice athmospere”
Review of The Boudoir

The Boudoir
Ranked #2 of 1,333 Restaurants in Ko Samui
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 8, 2013

For those having trouble to find the restaurant here are the GPS coordinates:
9,563667 deg North, 100,004167 deg East

4  Thank Mark W

Reviewed August 10, 2013

My friend had been to the Boudoir before so she was the navigator. It is well sign posted and when you get to the large illuminated sign you turn left onto an unmade road and there it is. We were the first guests to arrive so Magali greeted us, excused her poor English and showed us around. In fact we had no problem in communicating. We loved the unique decor which was amplified by great lighting which created the impression that you were dining in a French couple's home. You can dine indoors or out on the patio and there is a private room that accommodates about eight diners. Magali's husband Patrice is the chef and helped explain some of the dishes. It is obviously a regular spot for the French community on Samui and you do have to book.

We were given a complimentary plate of interesting little morsels while we waited for our dinner. My friend ordered the goat's cheese entree and it was huge so that gave me the excuse to help her eat it. I had the tuna tajine which was the best I have had outside of Morocco. This also was large and I took half of it home for the next day. My friend had a steak and although the French fries looked a bit limp, she said the meat was tender. I tried the chocolate fudge with choc mint ice-cream for dessert which was delicious. French wine was 150THB per glass which was very reasonable.

This restaurant doesn't advertise in the numerous Samui publications and is not well known even amongst Samui residents. We will be bringing our friends and introducing them to this unique experience.

One tip: book for 7pm when it is not quite dark and you can find your way more easily.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I will start out with the positives: the people running this "restaurant" seem to be a truly lovely couple (and why shouldn't they be they live in paradise and call running this place their "job" I'd be happy as a clam if that were the case for me as well). Now the negatives: location - oh the famous or should I say infamous location! Since everyone complains about how hard it is to find this joint but no one actually gives you directions on how to locate it here goes nothing, after you turn into Maenam 2 and follow all the signs and come to what appears to be a dead end (aka a giant sign next to a deserted house of the side of the road) dont stop, i repeat dont stop, turn left off the road and into the forrest and keep going at least another 100 feet or so, you will eventually come upon a lit up house with signs for Boudoir (now that you found it...turn around and go home, the food sucks). The "restaurant" is essentially someone's house, and you will be dining on someone's back porch (or in their living room). The owners speak ZERO english, like none, like use hand gestures and smile a lot. The menu is a gian chalk board with abour 6 dishes on it, that the owner's wife drags out in front of you for perusing. The place doesnt seat more than like maybe 6 people and if there is only one "menu" guess be prepared to "wait in line" to order. Also, seems a reservation here is a must, we showed up w/o one and were told (in whatever limited english the hostess had) they were expecting someone else, a little later, and were seemingly unprepared for customers but seated us anyway. Now for the food: the salad with warm goat cheese and honey was great, that was it. The "seared tuna" was NOT seared and was a fully cooked steak (despite the fact that the woman owner said it was only lightly cooked), extermely oversalted, served with...roast potatoes....why potatoes? Has anyone ever eaten tuna with potatoes? My husband had the duck (or should I say the piece of fat) also served with roast potatoes (maybe that was the side dish du jour). After the meal, and despite our better judgment we opted to try the dessert (I said well they're french, if they dont know how to make crem brulee then i give up...i gave up). My husband just ordered an esspresso and I the "crem brulee" - awful awful brulee, clearly store bought and refrigirated, served cold, and the cream sat atop a sponge cake....there is NO sponge cake in crem brulee!!! Anyway, like I said before the people are super nice, and while the espresso machine turned out to be broken the woman owner brought us out some free cookies (and some alcoholoc drink that was absolutely awful and tasted like bad medicine, but its the thought that counts!). I honestly am baffled, I am never one to go so much against the crowd, my reviews are usually very on par with other people but this place is just not good and should not be called a "restaurant" I think its time for Mr. and Mrs. Boudoir to retire and hang up their aprons.

8  Thank back2bklyn
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stop at boudoir since some people recommended us to go there if we wanted to eat some french food.

We went there, its a french couple running the place, very nice people, friendly and we enjoyed our night there.

the food was exquisite, very frenchy and just love it with good wine.
Strongly recommend to visit this place if you are looking for something different.

1  Thank casastyles
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We really enjoyed our meal at the Boudoir. Yes it is tricky to find but there are lots of signs to guide you. The new owners are a couple from Montpelier. They are friendly and out to please. The bar of the rstauant seems to be a popular hangout for the local French community which is a recommenation in itself. The restaurant is unusual - low light and partitions between tables whic feels like what I imagine a harem is like. The food is plentiful and delicious, very much like a French small town restauant. I had the goat's cheese and honey entree followed by Canard aux figues, which was cooked to perfection. The meal began with a slice of Pissaladiere, classically from the south of France. We enjoyed an excellent Cotes du Rhone ( from Gigondas) for only BHT1,200. The servings were substantial so there was no room for desert. Definitely worth the effort to find if you would like a change from Thai food.

1  Thank Jenni N