“Total disappointment. Staff let the whole place down.”

Pulcinella da Stefano
Ranked #82 of 2,102 Restaurants in Chiang Mai
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Thailand
“Total disappointment. Staff let the whole place down.”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We came here for Christmas dinner 2 night ago, not too late 8pm. It wasn't very busy and the menu looked tasty, affordable and the talk about Stefarno himself is really positive. I ordered one of the set meal of 3 course and a coffee and my partner ordered two courses as we were going to share dessert. The starters were really tasty, however before we were half way through them they brought our our main courses and left them on the table getting cold! So we rushed our starter to get onto the main. The main was also quite nice, however as we had finished it a waiter asked if we wanted any dessert as they wanted to shut up shop, I told them I had ordered dessert and we assumed we were waiting for it. It was not unitl this that he told me I could not have it and did I was ice cream instead...No. I told him to take some money of the bill as I wasn't going to pay that same price for tiramisu as I was for a scoop of ice cream . Then he brought me an espresso (was not espresso) instead of the cappaccino to hurry me up, quickly followed by the bill. (which he had taken on 50 Bhat off for the lack of dessert and change in coffee which he did not ask to do) I did not bother complaining as it was obvious we were not happy, and didn't want to be there anymore as it was made so plain that our custom was unwanted and unappreciated.

Total shame and such a disappointment, we had good expectations and manners cost nothing. Our experience there was awful and if you want a nice meal out I'm afraid I would really tell you not to go there as it pretty much ruined our night. It was not like they were rushed off their feet, it was not late, and they did not tell me at any point in the meal the dessert I had ordered/ coffee was not available, although they spent long enough just standing there chatting- hoping that I would forget, pay for it all and leave quicker.

Will not be returning.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Eleanor1991

• Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Thailand
“Good Food - Terrible service”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I have eaten here 4 times in 2 weeks with visitors to Chiang Mai as my guests. The food is always good but it is hard to get service when the 3 staff members are huddled over a cell phone, enjoying some video with their backs to the customers. It seems we are bothering them from their social hour. This was not true last season as a friend staying nearby ate there several times with me - the service has definitely gone down hill.

• Visited December 2012
Chiang Mai, Thailand
“Delicious Italian food”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

The focaccia with tomato, ricotta and capers is yum to start, pizza bases are crispy and the pasta is perfectly al dente. Great place, we will be back!

• Visited November 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Great food & great prices!”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Stefano's offers good, tasty, Italian food at a great price - with a fantastic location very close to the city. You just can't beat that!

I loved the carpaccio of beef with fresh lemon and rocket, and the lasagna was great too. Pizza was amazing and fresh, and thin crust... just how I like them! Desert was authentic and tasty, and everything fresh.

Service was good, but there is a slight noticeable improvement when Stefano himself is in the restaurant.

If I had to write negatives, I would say the decor is a bit... weird...? with the hand painted clouds and paint-smeared walls (though some might say it only adds to the character) :) and parking is an issue (not a problem for those without a car!)

And home-delivery / take out.... I've had a few ''weird'' experiences. A 'rare' steak that was RAW, ie: not cooked at all, and a pumpkin soup that was so hot it had literally melted the plastic container it was in.

As for eating in the restaurant itself, I've only ever had a great experiences and great food, and my friend really enjoyed her meal too.

• Visited October 2012
Milano
“more lights than shadows”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

as italian I feel home tasting the food. Of course sometimes the service is not perfect and the new owner is not so polite with clients, but worthy to make a jump there

• Visited October 2012