“Charming hotel, with some short-comings”

Oriental Siam Resort
Ranked #52 of 381 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Palos Verdes, California
“Charming hotel, with some short-comings”
Reviewed August 29, 2014

I have mixed feelings about this little resort. I agree with those who say that the service is personalized and helpful & that the grounds and landscaping are charming and peaceful.
It is indeed a mini oasis, away from the hustle and bustle of Chiangmai. It is not, however, in a totally rural setting, but in a small suburb/village with its own little outdoor market street and (very friendly) vendors. Also, there is a lovely pagoda right behind the hotel.
Because the hotel is out of town, you are forced to avail yourself of the hotel transportation since tuk- tuks are not widely available in this off-the-beaten path part of town. Although people rave about the friendliness of the hotel drivers, I can't say they were especially helpful or extraordinary. We took a tuk- tuk from town back to the hotel, and the tuk-tuk driver got hopelessly lost ( inspite of the fact that the owners told us that all the drivers knew where this hotel was located and it would be not problem). Our friendly tuk-tuk driver had to call the hotel in order to deposit us safely at our destination. The driver and his daughter were good humored and laughed about this unforseen "adventure," and we enjoyed the long, convoluted ride back since it showed us parts of town we would never would have entered.
Our little bungalow was comfortable, and we liked the porch area which had a fan (which we moved inside at night since the airconditioning was not adequate; but with the fan, and the air-con, we had a restful sleep). The large flat screen t.v. provided many channels, and the wi-fi was decent, considering the out of the way location. The modern bathroom and little dressing area were both convenient and practical.
Breakfast at the charming little restaurant overlooking the lotus pond was perfectly decent. You order off the menu and there is no buffet style service. The servers were smiling and friendly, but spoke no English whatsoever.
Before dinner we wanted to get a drink and perhaps eat at the restaurant. We seated ourselves at the little bar, and when we ordered a drink (gin and tonic), the server said :"beer, beer, " which meant they only served bottled beer. Disappointed, we went out and bought a small bottle of rum in the local store on the main street, and we made our own drinks and enjoyed our libations on our porch. We also did not eat at the hotel restaurant, since it was virtually empty. It would help business at the restaurant if they would expand their bar service so people could have pre dinner drinks and settle in for an evening meal at the hotel restaurant instead of going elsewhere.
I think that this hotel is perfect for couples who like a bit of isolation, and is perfect for people with small children. People with teenagers, I would stay elsewhere, since the older children would be bored and unhappy in such a small resort so far away from all the action of the town. Conversely, the smaller children will be happy to swim in the pool and to play with all the toys the hotel provides. Also, the staff seems to adore the little ones, and pay them lots of attention!
Overall, I was happy we stayed here for a couple of nights, but I was ecstatic to move into the grand luxury of the the Shangrila hotel, and its proximity to the amenities of the town.

Room Tip: Get a bungalow room with a porch.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank sonnet4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed August 27, 2014

Being a very experienced tourist, I am generally very very hard to impress. However, I was most impressed by the quality of the resort facilities and more importantly by the quality of the management and staff of this resort. The resort consists of about eight villas built around a tropical pond and a swimming pool. During my 7-day stay, I had the pleasure of staying in two of these villas. Both were very well designed, had copious space, had excellent outdoor porches and very comfortable beds. However, what impressed me most with this resort was the culture of service - both the two managers (Pongsri and Nat) went to great lengths to ensure that the needs of their guests were fully met. The ethos of high quality service was reinforced by the quality of the service provided by the staff in this resort. This ethos was epitomised by the following three vignettes. Very late most evenings after I had prepared my professional development activities for the next day, I would ask for a pot of tea to be made. After the first two evenings, the evening staff anticipated this so each night at about 10-11 pm when I came out to the restaurant area, they quickly prepared a pot of tea for me plus a fan to ensure that I would not be bothered by the mosquitoes. The second vignette concerns the two free breakfasts provided to my Thai organiser whilst we were doing last minute preparations for our professional development seminars. The third vignette concerns my checking out of the resort. When the managers found out that my flight from Chiang Mai was at 7:30 pm, they rearranged the incoming bookings so that I was able to stay in air-conditioned comfort in my villa until 6:30 pm rather than checking out at 12 noon. Throughout my 7-day stay, I experienced many positive incidents like these three vignettes. Thus I have no hesitation in highly recommending this resort - it was one of the best five hotels/resorts that I have stayed in during the past 45 years!!!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

5 Thank Rod N
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed August 18, 2014

It's taken me a long time to write this review! We chose Oriental Siam based purely on Trip Advisor reviews. All the staff were wonderful! Including helping us get in to our luggage after the locking system was damaged during our flight! Pongsri and the staff were so friendly and helpful and especially kind to our 11 year old daughter. We also told them at the time that we were trying for another baby. We never expected it to happen quickly as it took me two years to get pregnant the first time and this would be our first month tryin. However, at every opportunity we were blessed and told that it would happen here and Pongsri even gave me a big hug when we left, touched my tummy and said there would be a baby soon. WELL THERE WAS!!!! I just gave birth to our son last Friday and he was indeed conceived while we were in Thailand. For us, this special place is even now more special. :)

The property is a great location with easy access to all the main things we wanted to see while there, mainly Loi Krathong and Yi Peng. A truly magical time and we brought home the best present we possibly could.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank MissMel M
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2014

No idea how this is so highly ranked at all. Firstly, the driver they had arranged to pick us up from the airport didn't show up on time, so we ended up having to pay for a taxi. When we finally did get to the hotel, we were told due to a 'system error' they had double booked our room. So, they moved us to a mediocre hotel which was less than half the price! When we got there we learnt we were not the first ones this had happened to. We complained and were then relocated to another hotel which was beautiful and we wished we'd booked there in the first place. From what we saw, the hotel did look nice but I would not risk booking here again. I think they could've told us in advance that this had happened so we could've arranged alternative accommodation as it ruined our Chiang Mai experience.

Room Tip: I'd ring up in advance to check they haven't double booked you.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
17 Thank Alix M
Hong Kong
Reviewed July 26, 2014

We chose to stay here because we were a family of 5 (2 adults and 3 small children) and required a villa with separate bedrooms and plenty of room for us. We also liked the thought of being away from the noise and hustle and bustle of central Chiang Mai, and we were not disappointed. The accommodation was very traditional and comfortable, as was the hospitality from the staff. They were all excellent and extremely friendly and helpful. Our 3 boys didn't want to leave, especially the kids electric car and motorbike. The resort os also part of the local village, just around the corner is a local coffee shop (great italian sodas) and a massage centre. Chiang Mai city centre is about a 15min drive away, and the resort arrange cars for you to take you there and pick you up. There are also 2 really good shopping malls within a 5-10min drive, both have large kids playzones when you need to get out of the heat and have some timeout.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank trebornamron
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed June 15, 2014

A wonderful break with great accommodation and a wonderful family feel; staff always happy to assist and offer advice.

Would highly recommend for families, great value for money, the breakfast is terrific.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Jason F
England
Reviewed June 9, 2014

A cool calm green space, tacked onto the edge of the bustle of Chiang Mai City, gentle manners, warm Thai smiles and a genuine interest in your well being from everyone involved in this family run business. Delightfully appointed rooms tucked in and around a beautiful garden at the centre of which lies a welcoming pool acting as a respite in the warm heat of the day. Lazy breakfasts overlooking a Lilly pond that buzzes with colourful Dragon Flys, tiny Frogs and Butterflies. Nothing was too much trouble for any member of the staff. Any request or query was greeted with smiles, giggles when they didn't quite understand our English but always they was a reassuring solution found. We will honestly miss everyone there especially the charming OI! Please if you get to Chiang Mai don't miss the experience.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple