“Wonderful find!”

Oriental Siam Resort
Ranked #50 of 388 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I have little to add to other reviews other than you would find it difficult to find somewhere that is such a haven away from the usual bustle. We left the pool for 5 minutes and when we returned there was water and a bag of water melon. The attention to detail and the genuine wish to make your stay really special is second to none. The resort was designed and built by the current owners who can be seen tending to the stunning, meandering gardens every day. It was a short, cheap, taxi ride to town and an excellent spot for visiting the sites.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Claire R
There are newer reviews for Oriental Siam Resort

Reviewed March 18, 2013

The reviews written here are pretty spot on. Huge, well-maintained villas. Gorgeous garden and pool area. Fabulous breakfast. Even though hotel was fully booked when we were there, it seemed as if you were alone.

The hotel IS A LONG way outside of the city (at least 30 min), so if you are only staying in Chiangmai 2 nights, this hotel is NOT the right option for you.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank flamyRome
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed in this lovely place with my parents from Feb 11th to 13th. It has the most beautiful hotel garden I've ever seen. The villas are very spacious and clean too.
It has quite some distance from the city and I don't think tuk tuk could be an option. So we travelled both days with the hotel's car by friendly Pom. He recommended to us the place to eat and the place to go according to our hour and his recommendations turned out all excellent. We feel like friends by the end of our stay.
The owners, Pongsri and Peter really treated every guest like their friends and you feel really at home at this peaceful little paradise.
When we stayed this place, all the rooms are full, but except seeing a few at breakfast, you feel you have all of the place to yourself most of the time. The breakfast is very nice too, the pastries are bought from nearby Madarin Oriental Hotel.
But with all these lush exotic garden, mosquitos are a necessary existence - still, in most villas there's mosquito net around the bed and you could borrow electrical swaps from the staff. Turning on the air-con would reduce the activity of the insects too, but I don't like to sleep with air-con so I spent some time perfecting my mosquito-killing skill and afterwards I slept with my door open to the fresh night air.
In sum, I'll definitely recommend this place to my friends, esp. those with family, kids or elders as well as those who plan to use a car anyway.
And I do wish to come back myself some day again!

Room Tip: I booked three monthly earlier and it seems I got the last two rooms, but perhaps it's the Chine...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Echo Z
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Lovely hotel and staff! We stayed for one week and enjoyed it very much! It is a bit outside of town as everyone has said, but this actually made it easier to get to adventure attractions, but close enough to go to dinner at night. There was always a driver available and they were always helpful and happy to take us. We used the drivers all week and it was very inexpensive. Breakfast was delicious and the pool was a bit cold, but clean and well maintained. Staff was very helpful and always happy to help!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank poser37
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We (my wife and I and our 3 teenage kids) recently stayed at Oriental Siam Resort and would recommend it. It is small, a somewhat quirky, but that is a good thing in my view. The staff and owners were friendly and helpful; the rooms large, comfortable and well maintained. It isn't exactly close to the center of Chiang Mai but the owners are quick to arrange transport to and from town. They also arranged a visit to the Maetang Elephant Park which we really enjoyed. We found it a really good base for exploring Chiang Mai and the surrounding area.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Geoff F
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Rooms were clean. Resort was small but that was a good thing in my opinion. Pool was clean but cold. We were here on Xmas to 12/28. There were a lot of children. We didn't expect that from this resort we were on our honeymoon however the kids were well behaved and we didn't mind too much. There were many families here. I expected a more private couples place but it wasn't so. Staff was nice and helpful, always smiling and the owner pong Si was an incredible host. Mattee and gof were great guides and drivers. Continue to read if you want to hear all of the details of our trip.

I was a bit weary about the resort because it was a rather long trip from the airport. We were lucky that the cab driver had GPS and found the oriental Siam but he had never heard of it before. Disclaimer, the resort was going to pick us up but we did not see them and took a taxi. Completely my fault but if you speak to them I. Advance they will have someone get you at the airport. It's about 15 minutes from the city.
Once we we arrived the owner Pong Si and her husband greeted us at the entrance. They were all smiles but had a nervousness to them because they did not see us at the airport for pick up. Our first mix up was that they gave us a smaller room instead of the larger suite for honeymooners. We were ok with this as long as they upgraded us the next day. The first room we stayed in was small but nice size bathroom and jacuzzi tub. They laid out beautiful flowers on the bed. It was very clean and well kept. That first day they offered to take us on a free tour of some local shopping areas. They showed us the gem, silk, and leather shops. We were not impressed at all, actually I would recommend declining the free offer. Shopping for over priced jewelry silk and awful leather crafts was not what we expected.
The next day we made plans to go to some tourist excursions like tiger kingdom and orchid farms. They planned everything and drove us around. Later in the evening they helped make reservations for dinner as well as drop and pick up service. This cost 1200 baht. When we arrived back to the resort in the afternoon (b4 dinner) our new accommodations were set. We were moved into the orchid room. Very beautiful, large room. There were 5 large windows in the bedroom, a large powder dressing room area in between the bedroom and bathroom. The bathroom was nice and had a large tub. Not jacuzzi.
Our third day we had a snag in our itinerary. They did not book the elephant excursion for us that they said they would. We did not find this out until we got to Maesa elephant camp. We were so disappointed because we wasted a ton of time but our driver gof made some quick moves and found another elephant camp called ma taeng elephant camp. It was very far away, almost an hour away. We had a great time at this venue thanks to gof.
I would say that the overall stay at the Oriental Siam Resort was very good. We were treated very well.

Room Tip: Orchid was a large beautiful room. Very romantic and comfortable.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Johnson W
Reviewed December 28, 2012

This resort is certainly serene and has a lovely garden but it's too far out from the main city. The Internet may say 10mins but in fact it's half an hour out at least and many taxis don't know where it is. Service is awful as staff are poorly trained - filter coffee was served with the grinds in it, not once was I able to order something and they hadn't run out, the bar didn't know how to serve gin and tonic, the toiletries etc were never replaced in the bathroom. The staff is very nice however of course - just not trained well enough (if at all) for a resort that wants to be competitive.
Furthermore, the resort is really not equipped to cater for anything other than breakfast despite the availability of a lunch and dinner menu - same items and very limited. There is also no directory in the rooms so calling housekeeping etc isn't possible.

Would I return? No - too many other options in Chang Mai.

• Stayed: December 2012