“Resort turned a lovely trip to a fantastic time”

Oriental Siam Resort
Ranked #50 of 388 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed here for four days with our three month old baby and a visiting friend. The staff make you feel like returning family from the moment you arrive. Travelling with a young baby, even an hours flight from Bangkok, is not easy, and the staff went beyond what we expected of hotel staff. The nicest touch was a real cot, made up with the resorts own bedding was waiting for our sleeping son. Something so simple made our lives so much easier.

The service did not end here. The staff were proactive in arranging transportation into Chiang Mai, to the local attractions and the shopping districts. The restaurant served a small selection of good aithentic Thai food. I have lived in Thailand for two years and this was amongst the best Thai food I have had.

Parts of the resort are next to a temple and a school. This means you can be woken by chanting or the beginning of the school day. The resort is outside of Chiang Mai and taxis from there struggle to locate its location. But the staff provided us with an annotated map as well as their mobile numbers so they could talk to the drivers in Thai if necessary.

Location aside, we would recommend this resort to friends and family looking for a relaxing place to explore Chiang Mai.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Daniel P
There are newer reviews for Oriental Siam Resort

Reviewed August 9, 2012

My wife and I stayed for 6 nights and we felt we were being treated like family. I arrived with an injured knee. They took me to the hospital, waited while as being seen, provided all their help during my recovery and attended to all our needs. It was a great experience. I can't say enough to show how much we enjoyed staying there and how much we appreciated their attention.

The place: It is just beautiful, perfect to get away from the city environment and to relax. Not a big resort; however, the way it is set up gives you all the privacy you may need as a couple or family. The rooms are very clean and well equipped. You have the option to dine at restaurant or with more privacy just by your room. You can spend a lot of time outside in the garden, by the pool or the pond. The food is good and at very reasonable prices. We enjoyed having breakfast by the pond. It was just so peaceful.

The people: It is evident the owners love their resort. They spend so much time caring for the place and the visitors. They also do a good job at transmitting the idea to their staff. They were all polite, attentive and more than anything, caring. I can honestly say they brought me back to health and we were able to continue with our vacation. They answered our questions and provided good unbiased advice on tours and activities. The driver (Pon) is a great guy to talk to and trust that he will take you to the right places to make your visit great.

The location: Easy access to town by taxi. If you want to see Chiang Mai but still have a feeling of solitude, this is the place. The great thing about it is that it combines the experience of a resort with the local life. We walked around and found little shops, a very local restaurant with excellent food, vendors, schools, etc. We really enjoyed seeing the real local Thai people around the resort.

We will certainly go back to this resort. Many of the reviewers got it right, it is a gem and paradise!

Room Tip: Talk to Ponsee (sorry if the name is mispelled) and Peter, the owners. They are great and will give...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joel P
Reviewed July 12, 2012

As I sit down to write this review, I am trying to think of what I can say that has not already been said! The place is beautiful, the garden tropical and green with beautiful flowers. The rooms are nice and clean, the bathroom gigantic, the breakfast tasty ( I miss the omelette!), the location quiet and peaceful and the service really good.If you want a designer hoel with all the latest in equipment and fashion this is not the place to go. If you want peace, are travelling with active children and need to be in a family setting with spacious clean rooms...this is more than perfect.

The staff are wonderful. It never failed to amaze me how they were always ready to help, yet always so discreet. They had great suggestions on places to eat and visit. Please speak to Dawan and Pom about this. They are experts and turned what would have been a normal holiday into something memorable,

Whenever our 3 year old son stepped outside, he was surrounded by his devout followers! They would take him to play with the electrical cars outside, hand him ceramic hanging monkeys in the restaurant, play a game of hide and seek, hug him and even one night after visiting the night market, hand him a cup of milk before he went to bed. He was upset on the first day when the battery ran out of his "motorbike" so they charged it overnight and there it was waiting for us the next morning.

Our stay at this resort is one we will always remember and we want to say another big thank you for making Chiang Mai feel like home. We remember you all and wish to now say a special thank you to Dawan and Pom, for their tour suggestions and Pom for his knowledge and patience and the wealth of information he shares. Thanks for taking me on the Deep Fried Banana hunt Pom. We got it in the end thanks to you! We missed saying goodbye to you and wish you all the best. To Fern and Eye at the reception and restaurant - I hope you can now rest from handing Daniel monkeys every time we were there. your smiles and kindness were very much appreciated. Pongsri ( I hope I'm spelling your name correctly), thank you for the care and attention you gave to us and to Daniel, and for the hugs when we left. I felt like I was leaving a family member behind. In fact Daniel said that he was sorry you were all going to be sad because he had left! He knew he was the centre of attention!

Mr. Peter or as we came to calling you privately "Superman" - thanks for the beautiful garden and your mobile phone! I love to garden and enjoyed seeing you taking care of your plants and everything else on the property.

The only suggestions I can give for improvement are the following:
1) The orange juice. It would be much better to get fresh orange juice or offer another fresh tropical juice( watermelon, passion fruit whatever you can find). We were not too keen on the pre-made version.
2) The mattress in Daniels bed was quite hard. He said it was fine and did not want to change it but whenever I sat on his bed I realised that I would not be able to sleep on it.

We say thank you again and hope to see you on our next trip to Chiang Mai, whenever we make it back to Thailand. We wish you all the best for the future.

Please visit with your family. This place is ideal.

Big hugs and smiles,

Daniel, Jane and Alex.

Room Tip: Ninneth is fine for a couple and one child. It has its own garden at the back and the room is spacio...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Jane H
Reviewed June 28, 2012

This resort is the place to be in Chiang Mai. Just 10 taxi minutes out of the city, you feel like you have arrived in paradise. Beautiful garden with a nice swimming pool and villa's surrounding. All the people are incredibly nice (often they serve you with three in the same time). Good a la carte breakfast, private driver available for all the drives to the city.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TasmanianTravel
Reviewed June 3, 2012

My wife and I spent 12 nights in the Jasmine suite in May 2012. We decided to stay here based on the favorable reviews, especially regarding service. If anything, the reviews understated the exceptional level of service that we received. There is truly nothing that is too much effort for the staff and we felt like part of the family while staying here. Peter and Pongsi are exceptional owners/hosts and gave us much advice on the area. We used the resort's driver, Pom, and we had many good conversations while going places. He will get you to places the usual tourist may not see like seeing a 2-month old baby elephant at Maesa elephant camp. He also had some excellent recommendations on restaurants (see our other reviews). The young ladies who work the restaurant area are outstanding with always a bright smile on their faces.

It was my wife's b'day while we were there and I had arranged a suprise b'day party. Dinner menu was specifically picked and eaten on the wood deck over the pond. There were balloons around the restaurant area and rose petals in the shape of a heart on the ground next to the table, flowers delivered to our room and on the dining table. After we'd eaten one of their nieces did a traditional Thai dance. We then had cake with the entire staff singing happy b'day. This was followed by fireworks and then a balloon that is powered by a candle type device. It was a memorable evening and one that I probably won't be able to top!

The room was exceptional and there were always different decoration themes on the bed everyday. There were times we treated Pom to lunch or dinner and we were treated to lunch on a trip one day by Pongsi. On a couple of occasions we purchased mangos at the market and asked if they could be cut up and put in the pancakes..no problem, done. We also purchases passion fruit and asked if they could be squeezed for juice, again no problem, done. This is a place where you aren't just a number, you get 5-star service with a feeling of being a family member. We can't recommend OSR enough, we'd stay here again without a second thought. Thank you to Peter, Pongsi and your outstanding staff for a vacation we'll never forget!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chessmaster_ted
Reviewed May 13, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for the Chiang Mai portion of our Thailand honeymoon. The rooms, though not decked out in marble and stainless steel fixtures, were clean and very spacious (we stayed in the Jasmine Honeymoon Suite Villa). What really sets this hotel apart is the service. One morning my wife asked if they had congee available for breakfast. The server politely informed her that they didn't have any prepared - it was typically a lunch dish. No biggie - their waffles, toast, juice and fresh fruit were perfectly scrumptious. The next morning however, without a word from us, the server brought out hot congee. The staff had remembered and made it especially for her!

We experienced this kind of personalized service from everyone there, from the housekeeping staff to the driver to the security guard. They were all fully dedicated to our happiness while we were there, and not in a "I want a big tip" kind of way, but in a "you're family" kind of way. Would love to stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank piyopiyo13
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Beautiful, peaceful, tranquil gardens to really unwind. The owners and staff were very friendly and welcoming, making us feel like family. The Lotus three bedroom villa was clean, all modern amenities, comfortable. Quality of craftsmanship of furniture and buildings, a combination of carved teak and rosewood was in keeping with the old world tradition. Excellent service and tasty breakfast. Temple and Wednesday market was a treat. Location away from crowded areas a plus. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family