“waste my money”

Kantary Hills, Chiang Mai
Ranked #27 of 392 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed January 12, 2009

very bad staff ever met, we book 2 rooms but they put us apart from each other, so we have to change 1 room. The reception tell us to get out that room immediately and ask us to tell housekeeping to clean for everything we use (bed ,bathroom ,etc.). They give us 1 key card so we ask for another one, they said it out of stock and we ask for 1 blanket, they ask for 350 bath more. We have an extra bed but they didn't give us breakfast coupon, the restaurant didn't let us have breakfast until we give them the significant coupon. This is the worst hotel I ever stay in my life

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank pam72

Reviewed January 8, 2009

LOCATION: The neighborhood is booming. The main drag is covered in restaurants, food stalls, shopping centers, spas, and all necessities of tourist life. Try our favorite noodle place, Khun Mor, on Soi 17, a quick walk from the hotel. A short tuk-tuk ride away is the Central shopping center, one of the city's best malls.

APPEARANCE: Brand new, spotless, with a staff fanatically devoted to polishing the marble floors. The lobby is airy, cool, modern, in neutrals and wood, and not noticeably Thai, except for some subtle pieces of art in the lobby. Be wary of plopping down vigorously on the furniture in the lobby: you awaken clouds of napping mosquitoes.

BEDROOM: The rooms are large and attractive—we had a 1 bedroom suite—with washing machine, kitchenette, and separate (enormous) tub and shower with satisfying water pressure and temperature, all fixtures luxury standard. Vast bed, though pillows were loftier and firmer than I like. Complimentary water and toiletries every day. Mostly quiet, unless your neighbors are having a party. No mosquitoes, at least on the 4th floor.

SERVICE: The Swiss manager is friendly and helpful, and the staff is always ready to smile and cry out, "Sawadee ka!" However, the concierge services could be improved. There was one kind but slow fellow who responded to my question about finding a good Thai tailor by aimlessly riffling through various folders and drawers for ages, only to say at last would you come back tomorrow. Another time, a very pleasant woman, whom we asked about arranging travel to Vietnam, kept telling us she was trying to get through to an agent. When I checked back after a few days, she said, "I thought you had already gone." In the end, she gave us only the address of a travel agent in town, whom we had to see in person and explain everything to again.

FOOD: I felt the breakfast was not worth the price, since there are copious other options around the corner. It's an international buffet, OK but not as good as the best. The croissants were dependable, and the egg man fries up a decent egg (though the omelets are not very omelet-like). The coffee is ghastly, the juices unconvincing. Sadly, they present none of the amazing tropical fruit of Thailand and stick to familiar melons. I ordered room service once and it was just OK.

INTERNET: Connecting in your room costs extra (!) but there's free though slow wifi in the lobby. If you use the "business center," a single Windows machine with internet and a printer, they charge you per hour.

FITNESS CENTER, POOL, SAUNA: Great. Lovely enormous clean swimming pool on the 3rd floor. Sauna and steambath absolutely wonderful. Small gym with treadmills, elliptical, stationary bikes, weight machines, free weights, with an additional area for yoga mats and stretching. There is no spa service, but there are many spas for every budget nearby.

All in all, a handsome, ambitious though low-key serviced-apartments hotel, with luxurious details and design, friendly staff, terrific fitness center and pool, in one of the most exciting parts of town. I actually preferred the tiny Sira, with its enthusiastic, helpful, attentive staff, but with our fondness for khao soi noodles, we decided we needed that gym.

2  Thank brooklyngal
Reviewed January 6, 2009

I had stayed a week in October alone. It is a good serviced apartment over all but for a single girl who travels alone, this place has a subtle way to discriminate people. Reception was slow and not polite at all. I just didnt want to deal with them. Especially one mail staff kept bugging me whenever he sees me. He once found me at the library and asked me to put down my feet off the table. It was just the way he picks up on me all the time. I was disgusted. They look like getting business traveller not tourist business. And they will not be nice to you if you are Asian and if not Japanese.
Restaurant was very nice and polite and gym staff was good.

Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank tkahng
Reviewed January 5, 2009

this is a relative new hotel in Chiang Mai. It is not in the city centre, but in a nice suburb near the old town in stead. It is a more relaxed area, and cleaner too. Still very close to everywhere you want to go.

Our apartment had two spacious rooms with big TVs, small balcony and an ensuite. It was very clean and modern.

It also had a great pool.

It offers a quite extensive breakfast.

Reviewed December 31, 2008

My partner and I have been fortunate to have had an extended 3 month stay at Kantary Hills. We liked it so much here that we just had to keep extending our stay. We almost felt like we became part of the Kantary Hills family. To feel sad to say goodbye to the magnificent staff here should be a testament to how much we loved this place. It is however with much sadness that we now say goodbye and head elsewhere in Thailand for our next three month sojourn. For those who want a truly exceptional serviced apartment located in what can only be described as the ‘coolest’ part of Chiang Mai, Kantary Hills will exceed the most discerning persons expectations. In short, awesome room, pool, sauna, spa, steam room, great restaurant, and exceptional value all round. Kantary Hills made our Xmas Day and New Year Eve one we certainly won’t forget for a long time. Special mention has to go to the Swiss Hotel Manager and the Japanese Guest Relations Manager who are truly First Class and made our stay so fantastic.

1  Thank thespgtraveler
Reviewed November 15, 2008

My girlfriend and I stayed here for a week in October and we absolutely loved it! The all you can eat breakfast buffet is great and nearly free for guests. My girlfriend still talks about how great and convenient it was. The pool was beautiful and the staff was very helpful. I broke my only footwear, a pair of sandals, and they brought up packing tape for me to fix temporarily. The room was beautiful and the cleaning staff was very nice, courteous, and thorough! I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2008

This hotel was built at the beginning of 2008, so it is very new and clean. The grounds are extremely well kept and the rooms are very nice and spacious. The service was excellent. The breakfast that came included in the room rate was good quality with a wide variety of options.We also booked some Chiang Mai tours through the hotel's service and they were great. It is located just outside of the center of the city "old town", but still in a nice area with many bars/restuarants/cafes/shops, and easy to get to the center via public transport. Overall I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family