Open today: 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Review Highlights
Good to see Northern Thailand style

I'm joint my friend wedding in Monfai. This place look so nice. There are a lot of CULTURAL... read more

Reviewed March 26, 2018
Little05713
Bangkok, Thailand
Beautiful Place

What an absolutely beautiful place Monfai is. The staff are so lovely and helpful, the food was... read more

Reviewed November 24, 2016

from $9.65
from $16.09
from $11.26
More Info
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed October 11, 2015

While I was an artist in residency at Ne'Na Contemporary Artspace I had access to Baan Monfai and all of it's resources. I chose this residency program because of the availability to work at Monfai on a daily basis and for all the rich cultural offerings it has. Since my project dealt specifically with Lanna culture this was extremely valuable to me. Arjahn Rampad, the curator of Monfai, was extremely helpful in making sure that I had everything i needed to complete my project. The staff was always there and available to help me with anything I needed.

Outside of my experience as a resident artist I can honestly say that the museum has everything you can imagine related to Lanna culture. If you really wish to experience it you must plan a group event here. You can come, dress Lanna style, watch performances and eat wonderfully prepared meals. The apparel store has a huge selection of clothing from different eras of the Lanna culture. Speak with Ladda, she will make sure you have the right style to look handsome or beautiful. On a few occasions I dressed up to attend formal events at Monfai during my stay. It was a wonderful change of pace from my normal daily attire and i really felt like I belonged to a culture rather than like i was just a guest visiting. While drinking and dining at a group event make sure to sample the Yaa Dong. It's a must.

If you are simply looking to come for a day trip that is fine as well. They offer many programs to learn Lanna art and crafting styles. The staff here are not just people hired to work a job. They live Lanna lifestyle and are truly masters at their crafts. While you're there visit Huan Jang Ngam Cafe. Their food is excellent and their iced coffee and smoothies are very refreshing. Try the Kao Soi if you like spicy. If you don't like spicy tell Toon or Goy that David from Chicago told you to prepare something for you "mai phet". Highly recommended. Everyone there is wonderful. I miss them and can't wait to return.

Date of experience: August 2015
1  Thank David C
Reviewed February 13, 2018 via mobile

Date of experience: January 2018
Pramarn_toon, ผู้จัดการ at Monfai, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2019

Reviewed November 13, 2017