“again, a wonderful hotel”

Shangri-La Hotel, Chiang Mai
Ranked #19 of 376 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Seattle, Washington
“again, a wonderful hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2011

This is my second stay here, and I just wanted to comment that I stayed with my 3 year old son. The hotel staff were very accomadating and tolerated him running around the lobby and trashing my room on a daily basis! Superb hotel, beautifully done, with a great pool that my son thoroughly enjoyed. Also a play room and nice gym. Restaurant is ok but pricey, esp for breakfast. Only hiccoughs here were a restaurant meal billed to my room which wasn't mine and a minibar charge that was also not mine. They promptly and gacefully removed them as soon as I pointed it out. It is a bit pricey for the Chiang Mai market, but I loved staying here last time and loved it this time. I will certainly stay again

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank SeattleDoc2010
SLCMcomms, Communications Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Chiang Mai, responded to this review, February 11, 2011
“We would like to thank you for the kind compliments. It is certainly a pleasure to learn that you had an exceptional stay and experience at our hotel. We look forward to welcome you back to Shangri-La Hotel, Chiang Mai”

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sussex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2011

Stayed for 3 nights and was greeted warmly by staff, had a deluxe room which was large and comfortable with a good bathroom. Hotel and grounds kept in excellent condition with a good size swiming pool and comfortable sun beds.One of the best breakfast buffets i have ever had. Hotel in excellent location close to the night market with good bars, restaurants in market square.
I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2011

I really enjoyed most everything about the Shangri-La in Chiang Mai. The rooms are quite large and the beds are firm but pretty comfortable. The bathroom was really nice with a tub and separate shower with great water pressure. A/C works well and safes in the rooms are large, large enough to hold a 14" laptop. I like that they always left plenty of free water in the refrigerator. And the grounds are beautiful, including the wonderful pool with comfortable lounge chairs. Finally, very centrally located so that it's just a short 5-minute tuk tuk ride to the old city and a walk to various local markets.

There are a few small issues with the rooms: there's free internet, but not wireless (at least it's fast). They never put hand towels in the rooms, just towels and wash rags. And a handle was broken in the tub in our room and the bathroom door handle a little loose.

But what I really loved about this hotel was the service, especially the concierge service. The gentlemen in orange jackets were always available, friendly and would assist in every way possible - restaurant requests, taxis, tuk tuks, and really any advice you'd need. They were eager to help and so friendly. They, and the other staff at the hotel, really went out of their way to assist any time asked and were just so friendly. And most spoke pretty good English.

So while I thought the hotel itself was very nice, it's really the outstanding service that would ensure my return.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank ChicagoToTheWorld
SLCMcomms, Communication Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Chiang Mai, responded to this review, February 11, 2011
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2011

My wife and I and another couple stayed in this hotel for 4 days in December 2010. Upon entering the main entrance, we were impressed with the spaciousness of the hall. Our room was big and very clean. The bathroom was also very clean with ample supply of toiletries. The grounds and swimming area were spacious and well kept. The breakfast was very good with lots of choices of Thai, Chinese, Japanese and western cuisine. The service we received at the restaurant, check-in and concierge was excellent and polite. Our stay in Chiang Mai was pleasant, partly attributed to this beautiful hotel and its staff. We highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for good accommodation in Chiang Mai.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank SINtraveller
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2011

We stayed at an executive room and hence were able to make use of the Executive lounge. We thoroughly enjoyed the pampered lifestyle. We did prefer to have breakfast at the main dining room as the selections were better.

What's the deal with Tang? I'd expect a hotel of this class to serve real OJ...

• Stayed December 2010
SLCMcomms, Communications Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Chiang Mai, responded to this review, February 10, 2011
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2011

I have regularly visited Chiang Mai for the past 12 years and this is my first stay at Shangri La hotel.This hotel is amazing!!! I truly enjoyed the hotel, the very peaceful garden, the Chi Spa, the large swimming pool,the health club and the wonderful caring staff Since my stay lasted about 3 weeks, I had the chance to stay in both the Horizon Club room (excellent value for money) and the suite with garden whirlpool. Both are outstanding, I have never felt better in a hotel. In my opinion, this is the best hotel in Chiang Mai and I will definitely return to Shangri La.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank portobello99
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2011

I enjoyed three nights in this hotel in December last year. This was my first time staying in a Shangri-la hotel, and it was certainly different from most other hotels. The welcome was very pleasant and professional, letting you do the check in procedures in room was very nice after 15 hours travel.

I enjoyed Chiang Mai city so much I didnt try the swimming pool, but it sure looked lovely. The breakfast was excellent, really excellent. Of course, it costs also, and for a solo traveller I guess I could have chosen a smaller room or another hotel, but I enjoyed it!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
SLCMcomms, Communications Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Chiang Mai, responded to this review, January 9, 2011