“Excellent experience, but ridiculous markups on excursions”

Shangri-La Hotel, Chiang Mai
Ranked #20 of 388 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed February 7, 2014

As an American first-time traveler to Asia, I was unfamiliar with Shangrila hotels. This was a very nice hotel with very nice amenities and excellent service. By American standards, it was amazing for the price and I will definitely be back.
In one aspect, the hotel let us down. When we inquired about an excursion to the national park that is two hours away, we were quoted 4900 baht each (for two people) for a private car and English speaking driver. My friend insisted we comparison shop and we stopped at a tour operator office on the street in Old Town. For the exact same itinerary, same make car and English speaking driver, we were quoted 3500 baht total. But they advised that we go in a minivan with a small group for 900 baht, which we did. It was a great experience.
Secondly, the hotel referred us to a restaurant that was our only poor restaurant experience in Thailand. It was so bad, and they had been so emphatic in their recommendation that we felt there was some referral relationship involved.
When I travel to a foreign country, I rely on my hotel to take care of me and have my best interests at heart. I suspect the Shangri La didn't.

Room Tip: We were by the elevator on the third floor and had some serious notice one night at 4am. Perhaps av...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank abesmom3
Azmi K, Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Dear abesmom3

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us.

We are glad that overall you had a wonderful stay with us. Thank you for your kind words on the hotel facilities and the services rendered by the team.

We have also took note on your comments on the outside restaurant and tours that was recommeneded that did not met your expectations and it will be in our points of discussions and actions to review the list of recommendations and ensure that they met our standards.

Thank you once again we look forward in welcoming you back to The Shangri-la Hotel Chiang Mai.

There are newer reviews for Shangri-La Hotel, Chiang Mai

Reviewed February 6, 2014

I stayed here last year, due to the good experience, I booked to stay here again just recently. I must say I was still very happy in every way, excellent staffs, lovely cozy room with super comfortable bed, and really very quiet for peaceful sleep. Every detail has been attended to, just couldn't fault them. The bathroom is spacious and have good amenities. Swimming pool is lovely, so is their restaurant and spa. It's a bit away from the busy Night bazaar, which is a blessing. I feel really pampered in this quiet oasis, especially each time I came back from a busy tour somewhere. I can recommend it highly, consider many new boutique hotels charge about the same amount of money. There is a security in staying with a reputable hotel chain such as this, service quality is guaranteed!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear La_speranza

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review on your recent stay with us.

We would also like to thank you for being a loyal customer and we are glad that you have yet again had a wonderful stay with us.

We appreciate your comments on the services renedered by the team, the facilities and comfirt of our rooms in particular our pool and superb location of our hotel.

We will sahre this with the team and celebrate this success.

We look forward in welcoming you back to The Shangri-la Hotel Chiang Mai.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

Having stayed in Shangri La hotels in places like Oman, Singapore and indeed Bangkok previously, there were few surprises to be had here. Large imposing building - tick; unnecessary escalator in an enormous lobby - tick; well appointed rooms and excellent service - yep, all present and accounted for. On the less positive side, we thought breakfast was a little underwhelming (actually skipped it one day) and while others have commented positively on the pool area, we actually found it a little disappointing too. The height of the main building, arc of the sun and layout overall meaning it was hard to catch too many rays for too long in the one place and it all felt a little cramped when it got busy. Great if you like that kind of thing, less so if you prefer a little more personal space. The pool staff were attentive though and never far away if you wanted something.

If you come to Chiang Mai to laze by the pool all day you are probably missing the point though and the Shangri La is perfectly located to explore all the sights, sounds (and smells) that the vibrant Northern capital has to offer. You can easily walk to the old town in about 15 minutes, wander through the night market within 5 and find yourself on the other side of the Ping River, enjoying a meal on the riverbank in under 20. If you like using your feet to get around it could hardly be better located and if you decide you've had enough stomping around, there is never a bar (to provide refreshment) or a Tuk Tuk (to provide alternative transportation) too far away. We also found a nice little wine bar/merchants a few doors down where a bottle of Prosecco could be bought straight for the fridge and sampled watching the world go by. All very pleasant.

I don't personally understand why someone would pay for the Horizon Club in a location like this - you can be out sampling the nightlife and experiencing the town rather than sitting in a hotel lounge far away from anything interesting that is going on. What I would recommend is upgrading your room to a 'Premier' if you can as it is nearly twice the size and better appointed than the 'Deluxe' ones. I'm pretty sure a Premier room can be had for less than a Horizon Club Deluxe so you can use those savings to get out a bit and see what Chiang Mai has to offer.

And offer a lot it does. Some great meals can be had at excellent prices compared to back home. Two of the best restaurants in town are 'The House' which is up by the Old Town and 'The Gallery' which has the best views of the River and some truly excellent cuisine. With so much to see and do in the town I would also heartily recommend the Segway Tour which is not only incredible fun (assuming you've never tried them before) but also a fantastic way to orientate yourself around the town. Within 24 hours we could pretty well find our way around most places without needing to look at a map.

So there you have it. Not the best resort hotel we've stayed at (Shangri La or otherwise) but as a comfortable base for a few days exploring and experiencing Chiang Mai it's location is hard to beat and SL's typically offer great value. Despite being a fan of the 'Krungthep Wing' in Bangkok, if staying here I would say save your money on the Horizon lounge, maybe spoil yourself a bit by going 'Premier' and then get out more and explore the city. If looking at alternatives, the only central property of a similar standard looks like 'The Chedi' but I personally think it looks a little like a prison....

Room Tip: Premier rooms are spacious and very nicely appointed.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Dr_John
Azmi K, Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Dear Dr_John,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your experience here at Shangri-La Hotel, Chiang Mai during your recent stay with us.

We are glad that overall you had a pleasant stay with us. Thank you for your kind and inspiring words on our service and the pool staff . For your preference about our centralized location and relaxation .We will share this with the team and celebrate it together

We took note on the Breakfast experience and will definitely share this with the team on areas we could improve and offerings.

We hope that if you consider returning to Chiang Mai, you will give us an opportunity to welcoming you back to the Shangri -La hotel Chiang Mai to assist you with your preferences for a more memorable stay.

Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Sleeping was the most impressive bcoz of very good quality of beddingsSwimming pool was nice. Breakfast (esp coffee) and service were good but less than expectedWith this price, I think i can find better hotels in this town. Shang management should do something to make this hotel more competitive.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Watit

Dear Watit Bangkok,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your recent stay at Shangri-La hotel Chiang Mai .

We are complimented by your positive comments with quality of bedding ,breakfast experience ,the nice swimming pool.

My team and I will continue to strive to be one of the world best hotels.

Once again thank you for your reviews and we look forward in welcoming you back to The Shangri-la Hotel Chiang Mai.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

Overall, the hotel is quite nice, however I have rated 3/5 because after staying in other Shangri La properties, my expectations were very high but experience was quite average. I am sensitive to noise and even during peak seasons when I ask a hotel to find me a quieter room, they are able to find something. However, in this case, first of all it took me a while to get hold of the Manager, and then I was told that they cannot move me to another room as they were quite full.

On the positive side:
- The hotel concierge is very very helpful. They are always eager to please - recommend places to see, arrange for taxi, recommend and reserve restaurants.
- Food was great. We had dinners at the Chinese Restaurant Shang Garden and Main Restaurant Kad Kafe. The food and service were marvellous. The daily breakfasts were also excellent.
- My wife went to the spa and she mentioned that it was one of her best spa experiences.

On the negative side:
- If you are sensitive to noise, make sure you get a room facing the pool and NOT the 'mountain'. The mounting facing room actually faces the main road that is busy even until late in the night as it connects into the night market area. These rooms can be VERY noisy at times, particularly when noisy 2 wheelers go across.
- We booked 2 Premier Rooms, during Christmas Time. These rooms are spacious and can be a mini Suite as they are corner rooms with a small seating area. However, the shape is awkwardly narrow and the beds are almost touching the walls. Also, these rooms are in very limited numbers, so there is little flexibility if there is a problem with the room. They refused to move me to a pool facing room when I had trouble with the noise. I would recommend that it is best to stick to the regular Deluxe Rooms.
- Location is ok. You need to take a tuk tuk pretty much to get anywhere, although in the evenings you may be able to stroll to the night market. For the night market and old town, the Le Meridian and Dusit D2 are much better located.
- One of the days we returned to the room at 3.00 PM and it was not cleaned up yet. However, once I complained, someone came almost immediately and did the room.

Room Tip: Avoid 'Mountain' facing rooms if you are noise sensitive. Premier Rooms have a seating area...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Azmi K, Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Dear Avinash_jalan

Thank you very much for taking the time to share with us your experience during your recent stay with us.

We are appreciate to your good comment on our hotel concierge staff and dining experience which is our aim to put more effort and continue to be the best choice for every customers.

At the same time we regret that your concern about room uncomfortable from disturbing noise , timliness of room cleaning and have share to the following department head for immediate improvement and follow up in each areas .

We look forward in welcoming you back again to The Shangri-la Hotel Chiang Mai.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

Another wonderful stay, over last 2 weeks ,, Found all staff to be welcoming , helpful, and polite and engaging. Spectacular Chinese New Year celebrations was arranged for the guests , Chinese themed New Year Buffet extremely enjoyable evening,
Room kept prestine by housekeeping team, Poolside staff attentive to your needs , Bell counter staff knowledgeable and helpful, Breakfast staff remembering some of my preferences.
Highly recommend this hotel for location and service.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Azmi K, Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Dear Thaitravellers,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at The Shangri-la Hotel Chiang Mai.

We are delighted to learn that you had a wonderful experience with us and thank you for your kind and inspiring comments of the Chinese celebration theme we have provide to our guests , the pool,the room , the services rendered by our team. This will definitely be shared and celebrated.

We look forward in welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

Pure decadence! I decided to spoil myself (first solo holiday ever!) and stay at the Shangri-La. So glad I did! Delux king size room with balcony/courtyard, complete with jacuzzi. Room was amazing and the staff attentive beyond expectations. Could not have asked for a better place to recuperate from the days activities. Will certainly be returning in the near future - to Chiang Mai and the the Shangri-La.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Kantbe

Dear Kantbe ,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us.

We are glad that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us and thank you for your opinion about the staff services and the room offerings.

Thank you once again and we look forward in welcoming you back to the Shangri-la Hotel Chiang Mai.