I spent two nights in a Horizon Club Suite while on vacation from a hardship post in Eastern Europe/Central Asia, and it was exactly the getaway that I needed: excellent service, immaculate and luxuriously comfortable rooms, and ample hotel facilities (pool and gym).
LOCATION: A short eight-minute ride by tuk-tuk or songthaew from the moat-encircled old town and a five-minute walk to the night market.
ROOM: The room was well-appointed with a very comfortable king-sized bed and relaxing bath. The complimentary fruit and bottled water were a nice touch, especially in the hot summer season. I had a nice view of the pool and lush landscape around it.
SERVICE: The service was great and really stood out when I encountered some last minute problems with my outgoing flight being changed. The staff was very helpful in resolving these issues before I left.
BREAKFAST: The included breakfast buffet is an eclectic mix of Western and Eastern food. For example, one morning I saw the following on offer: bacon, hash browns, grilled tomatoes, lanna style hinlay pork curry with steamed rice, sushi rolls, smoked salmon, cured meats, cheeses, chocolate croissants, chocolate covered donuts, muffins, homemade granola, cappuccino, espresso, and a variety of juices.
- The complimentary late check-out option was useful and allowed me to enjoy more time in Chiang Mai and at the hotel before I left.
- The pool is very nice, and the pool attendants will bring you towels, some fresh fruit, and bottled water (in addition to anything else you may want to order).
- The gym is fully-equipped for lifting (free weights, machines) and cardio (ellipticals, treadmills, and stationary bikes). Out of curiosity, I took a yoga class as well, but it would be better to go to a local yoga studio if you're at all familiar with yoga. The yoga mats were for general gym activities and not designed for yoga (they were too short, lacked sufficient traction, and were too spongey to stand on with stability). The instructor did his best and was very pleasant but didn't seem to know much about yoga (and he wore thick-soled tennis shoes the whole time).
- Happy hour - In the Horizon Club Lounge, there is also a complimentary happy hour each afternoon, featuring a diverse selection of hors d'oeuvres (again, a mix of Western and Eastern foods) and free drinks (beer, spirits, and cocktails).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ideally located on Chang Klan Road, the Shangri-La Hotel, Chiang Mai is within easy walking distance of the city's famous Night Bazaar. Situated in a lush garden setting, the hotel is just a 10 minute drive from Chiang Mai International Airport. It also enjoys close proximity to fascinating museums, cultural centers, and Chiang Mai's numerous temples, shops and boutiques. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Ctrip TA, Hotwire, Priceline, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, Hotel.de and HotelQuickly so you can book your Shangri-La Hotel, Chiang Mai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri La Chiang Mai
- Chiang Mai Shangri La