“Good, but can be better”
Review of BanThai Village

BanThai Village
Ranked #36 of 380 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Hong Kong, China
“Good, but can be better”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

The hotel is pretty, and worth for its price.
However, my toilet is so opened that I can see through outside from the wooden windows, the staffs seems use there as a storage area. You can hear they are talking loudly. And that is really a problem of privacy.
But I would like to recommend their sister shop just 10 meter away if you walked out from the reception and turned left. The Taiwanese woman is always friendly and helpful to the guests, although you didn't spent on their travel agent and restaurant.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Banthai-RSVN, Front Office Manager at BanThai Village, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Thank you for sharing your review here in Tripadvisor! The staff will be delighted to read your comments, especially Ms. Julice Taiwanese women that you had mention and her team at Rom Po boutique our sister hotel .
I noted your comment about our staff talking loudly and I will report to our General Manager for this comment ,and sorry for all of them .

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed January 17, 2014

We stayed her for 2 nights and really wished we could have stayed longer. It is in a great location, a few blocks from the night market but tucked away so you don't hear any noise. I would absolutely come back here. You feel like you are staying at a spa and the staff was amazing. We also had the breakfast each morning which was very good. The room was extremely clean and well kept. We had hot water and air-con (although we did not need it). Highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank shanns22
Banthai-RSVN, Front Office Manager at BanThai Village, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Thank you for your recent review of your stay here at the Banthai Village Chiang Mai. I was delighted to read you had such a positive experience I have taken note of your comment regarding the Location the room ,breakfast quality and staff .
We look forward to seeing you back here in Chiang Mai, hopefully sooner than in 10 years time!
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I recently stayed here for 3 nights. Nice boutique hotel, well presented and the rooms were clean and comfortable. Good selection of breakfast food and free wifi worked fast. Location is great, only a five minute walk to the old town (15-20min taxi from airport - 150 baht). Room included a DVD player which was a plus for us. Like many, we find the hotel to be a nice little retreat.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Relmcc
Banthai-RSVN, Front Office Manager at BanThai Village, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Thank you for sharing such a positive review of our Banthai Village and especially the room , location , wifi , breakfast I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back with your family again in the not too distant future.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Firstly, the location is great. It's tucked down an alleyway, but is very close to the night market, and an easy walk to the old city.

Room was clean and tidy.

The staff were extremely helpful and friendly, and were able to provide us with good information when we requested it.

The breakfast was of a good quality, and an enjoyable way to begin each day.

We would certainly stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank William_was_taken
Thank you for your recent review of your stay here at Banthai Village Chiang Mai. I was delighted to read you had such a positive experience We look forward to seeing you back here in Chiang Mai,
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Banthai Village is down a small street off the busy Thapae Road but once there - it is very quiet and secluded. It is very handy to the Night Markets (turn right at end of street) and to the Thapae Gate (turn left) and only 10-12 minutes from the airport. Our room was upstairs/downstairs with a balcony off the upstairs bedroom that looked out over the pool and bar area. Upstairs had a toilet / washbasin but no hot water. The bathroom (including another toilet) was downstairs but lacked hot water to the wash basin. Our shower didn't drain all that well and ended up flooding the bathroom floor. There was another drain at the other end of the bathroom which allowed the overflow water to drain away - but it was a bit annoying The bed in our room (214) had a very firm mattress and was just a little too hard for our liking - but in saying that - we slept well. Overall, the room was very quaint and clean and nice and airy and we loved the traditional style and decor. There was also a safe downstairs for valuables. The staff were very friendly and check-in / check-out was very quick. We didn't use the pool but it looked very nice and there were plenty of others using it. We used the laundry just outside the hotel, which was very cheap and they did a great job.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mike E
Thank you for sharing your review here in Tripadvisor! I was so happy to ready that you had such a good experience with us. The staff will be delighted to read your comments, I noted your Positive comment and sorry about the shower and the bath room we have taken well note and will prove it urgently . Thank you again for sharing your feedback and I hope it will not be long before we can welcome you back.
Jurong, Singapore
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Wanted to book another hotel but was fully booked and was recommended BanThai instead. I totally did not regret staying there. Hotel ws centralized and convenient to almost all attractions. During my 3D2N trip there, I do not even need to take any public transport. (only 1 i took is to my spa).

Staff there are very helpful and when my hubby and I was wondering which tailor / spa to go, they recommended a few and arranged transport for us.

Our room is facing the pool therefore during night, the whole place was totally peaceful. Not much traffic noise. We took the top floor and i do not know if they did upgrade my room as it was really spacious for both room and bathroom with high roof.

The only thing is the breakfast which i think can have more varieties.

Giving me another chance, i will definately visit BanThai again. <3

Room Tip: Get top floor facing pool
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Banthai-RSVN, Front Office Manager at BanThai Village, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Thank you for your recent review of your stay here at Banthai VillageChiang Mai. I was delighted to read you had such a positive experience . I have taken note of your comment and We look forward to seeing you back here in Chiang Mai, hopefully sooner .
Singapore
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Location Location Location.
1. I just didn't like the lack of privacy, the curtains had to be closed all day, all the way.
2. Don't stay at 517, it's on the first floor near the stairs you can hear everyone go up and down zzz
3. Rooms are small, thankfully we took the suite or we would have hardly any place to move!
4. What is up with the tap and the sink! It was crazy! Stupid design!
5. Electric kettle was nasty, I washed it out but was still afraid to drink anything from it, white residue which would not come off and it smelled funny.
6. The reception staff, urgh, unfriendly much?!
7. Mozzies! Ok, I'm usually prepared with my own coil, patches and electric version but it was cold while we were there and still so many mosquitoes! Bit shocking, thank goodness we were prepared cos the hotel didn't have anything setup.

The good:-
1. As I mentioned the location was pretty good, walking distance to the night market and *hangs head in shame* Starbucks
2. The pillow cases are uber pretty.
3. Breakfast was pretty good.

Basically, someone who designed the hotel clearly has taste and an eye for aesthetics but it just seems that they expanded too quickly and no one bothered to think about space and function. Perhaps the rooms in the main building are better.

It's nice perhaps just not for us.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued quests,

Thank you very much for giving us a chance to serve you during your recent visit and sharing your comment through TripAdvisor. We are very sorry to hear that your stay was not as good as you expected. Your comments are of our utmost concern and we would like to explain to you as follow.
-sorry for make you disappointed with our properties due to we're a small boutique hotel in the heart of Chiangmai we're not a resort to give you for the lack of privacy and this period that your recent stay we're heavy fully booked due to our peak period .
- if you don't like this room you should inform with the problem of the room and would change the room with our receptionist ,we will try to do it for you. and for the noisy from everyone go up and down just only the day and some time in the night.
-the room that you recent stay are the bigger one in the building number 5 ,secondary from the family rooms and sorry about the space for your suite we do try to prove It ASAP.
4. What is up with the tap and the sink! It was crazy! Stupid design!
-all about the tap and the sink our owner he was build it like the tap and the sink like a lanna local house in Chiangmai ,such as no hot water in the sink etc. however I am say sorry for the owner to make you disappointed with his desired.
-I have taken well note for this comment and asked housekeeper to clarify about this problem, white residue is very hard to move it out due to water that was boiled and I have inform them change a new for this room and why if you have this problem why you didn't inform our staff we always to service.
6. The reception staff, urgh, unfriendly much?!
-please kindly be inform that normally I had train them every year and mostly guests appreciated with their service. Would you mild if you remember his/her name please kindly inform me direct to info@banthaivillage.com I am very appreciate and I will recheck if his/her unfriendly like you had informed I will inform and caution them to prove their service.
-about the mosquitoes the your room due to we're situated in the open area not like the big building hotel and we're always pest control every 15 days ,normally our housekeep they will spay Mosquito repellent very time it they make the room or turn down the room in every evening evening , if must more you can inform our receptionists to spay the mosquito repellent spay again when you go out and leave your key.
-The building number 5 that you recent stay is the new one that open since 1 Nov 2012 , and this building we was built for supported for more clients that they would like to stay with us during their trips in Chiangmai before we grand opening the building number 5 we had inspected and tested everything that we thought the new building is very comfortable and the room very new , anyway if the building number 5 it's make you disappointed we're very sincerely sorry about that and for the next trips if you come to Chiangmai , we hope to welcome you again for apologies all about the problem that you comment.