“What A Day!”

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“What A Day!”
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Spent a whole day with the elephants, grooming, feeding, washing, riding ... amazing experience. It's obvious how much the owners care for these animals. This is an experience not to be missed if you are in Chiang Mai

Visited May 2014

97 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 113 helpful votes
“Elephant Heaven”
Reviewed May 7, 2014

What a wonderful way to spend the day, a drive up to the farm, through lovely countryside, being taught how to control and wash, groom, bath and ride an Ellie. Having a lovely picnic lunch by the waterfall and pool - quite frankly unmissable

Visited March 2014
1 Thank PeglegSussex
Gatineau, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great experience but Mixed feelings”
Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

I was very excited to go there and experience a day with elephants. It was a amazing experience to be so close to the elephants, interact with them (feeding, cleaning). I had a great caretaker and a great elephant assigned to me. I felt lucky!

My husband had an elephant that was a bit shy and is caretaker didn't talk a word of English. It made the experience a bit less fun for him.

Then we rode the elephants. It is a great experience, but I do agree with a few of the comments that this could be skipped. It is a truly painful experience. Your legs and arm feel soar. At one point we were up a steep hill and down a steep hill. You really have to hold on. Anyone could get hurt. People were complaining that it was uncomfortable. Some of them chose to walk the last part of the day.

The food was amazing. We did not see the elephant get mistreated. It is so great to see the babies interact with the mother. But I would recommend to go to a place were you do not have to ride the elephant. Believe me when I say your experience will be has fulfilling!

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Vero S
London, United Kingdom
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“You will struggle to top this day!”
Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

I think the reviews already posted on Trip Advisor are pretty accurate about this place so I won't go into heavy details of the day as they are already available.
If you care about elephants, their well being and conservation and want a truly unique experience you should book this one.
Warning: you need to come prepared to muck in and work! This is not some light fluffy day out playing with elephants. It is hard work and takes a lot of energy but the reward of spending a whole day learning about, caring for and just being close to these amazing animals is worth it. In comparison to elephants that i have seen before it is so nice to see them happy, relaxed, not chained up, not over worked and not mistreated.
If you do one thing in Chiang Mai, do this!

3 Thank egregiousuk
Los Angeles, California
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Highlight of Chiang Mai”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

This was a wonderful and memorable experience. Upon our arrival we were greeted and taking to see a young elephant family eating and enjoying the day. We were broken up into groups of 6 and driven to separate stations where we we greeted by the local caregivers. We were given special outfits to ware so that the elephants would have some recondition. We were taught how to greet the elephants and the special words for feeding or moving with them. We were taught how to check out elephants health, brush them off and then get them ready for ridding. We got up on the elephant and rode then down a windy path, navigating them down with our guides. We went down to a streamed were we changes into our bathing suits and got to go into the water with the elephants , scrub and wash them down .

Along the way they took pictures and video of each of us which they give us for free at the end of the day . More then 800 pics and video, so you don't even have to worry about taking pictures, just enjoy the day. After the ride and bath time they have a beautiful spread of chicken, meats, local thai rices dishes and plenty of fruits( rose apple my favorite). There was plenty of leftover so I too my extra lunch fruit back to my beautiful elephant, and her little daughter.

We had plenty of water along the way, felt safe and secure and there was a a guide for each individual. Everyone went out of the way to help, make sure you enjoyed yourself and that the elephant was happy. At the end I ask one of the guides for an extra picture of me and my husband an he took like 20 more pictures of us with the elephant.

This was a highlight of Chiang Mai. Our group also had a family with three kids ranging from 6- 9 and they all got on the elephants and were always taking care. The staff was also very friendly and caring to the children to help them interact and enjoy the elephants.This is something I will definitely do again with my children in the future.

Visited April 2014