“A Wonderful Day”

Cardigan, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A Wonderful Day”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Loved this place! The elephants and all who look after them are fantastic. I really enjoyed my visit here - thank you and I am thinking about being a volunteer next year!

1 Thank Patricia P

• Thai first
  • Turkish first
Jasper, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“An experience to last a lifetime!”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

We are a family of four, myself and my husband and our two children aged 12 and 10. We arrived at the lower part where you first meet the elephants, there was a baby elephant who was 6 weeks old and very playful. We stayed and interacted with them for awhile before heading up the hill to meet all of the other elephants. The owner gave a very passionate introduction and then we were given Thai shirts (you are also provided pants, there is a washroom where you can change) and headed up further to meet our own elephant. The mahouts are very kind and helpful in teaching you and showing you how to care for and determine if your elephants is healthy. You feed them, brush them, learn how to get on them and eventually ride them into the jungle and come out to a waterfall where you bathe them and then a beautiful lunch prepared for you as you sit above the water and the elephants. If you are ever uncomfortable you are able to get on and off as often as you like. A memory that will also last a lifetime!

2 Thank DeagleAdventures
milwaukee, wisconsin
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 112 helpful votes
“Another wonderful experience at Patara”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

This is the second time I've been to Patara Elephant Farm, and it was just as good as the first time. I brought some friends to Patara this year to show them how a really good elephant camp is run. I have been to a sufficient number of elephant camps that deal with riding and bathing elephants to tell people that there are really just two above average camps in Chiang Mai: Patara and Thai Elephant Home. The rest have shows, put riding baskets on elephants' backs (I've seen the result of that at a couple of elephant sanctuaries), or are mediocre. Patara is the only camp that doesn't run around with the hook, not that I ever saw Thai Elephant Home use it, but I have seen other camps use it freely to hit or pull the elephant. You have to book in advance, sometimes far in advance during peak seasons, at Patara, but it is worth every penny for a good experience at a responsible facility. The owner is absolutely charming and speaks to the people who come there and support the farm. If only other camps would let him come and show the how to do things. Patara can't be beat.

Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“One of the most amazing days of our lives!”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

My 10 year old son and I spent a day with the elephants and the mahouts on New Year's Day, 2014. I have to say- it was beyond anything I had hoped. I knew that it was on the top of the list for elephant experiences on Trip Advisor but you really can't imagine, until you are there, how lucky you are. There are no elephants being used to play soccer or painting. They live in a beautiful, natural habitat in the mountains of Chiang Mai with people who only care about their health and well-being. We each were given our own elephant to care for and ultimately bond with. We fed them, washed them, checked their bodies for visible signs of health, took a nature walk with them to a waterfall and then climbed in the water with them...It was so wonderful. Spend the extra money and learn about the species...how gorgeous and sensitive they truly are.

1 Thank awaddles
Mumbai (Bombay), India
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Land of Elephants!”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

One shall feel the difference the way the Thais train these animals. Amazing ride on elephant back and the show in particular was amazing. One can spend the entire day since its very elaborate and exhaustive.

Visited February 2013