“Patara Elephant Farm”

59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Patara Elephant Farm”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Absolutely Fantastic Day! Went to Chiang Mai just to do this, spend the day with the elephants. My wife says stills talks about it and would love to go back and do it again. No chains, no fences, no saddles, just happy elephants.

Visited June 2012

13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Fantastic Experience”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Patara was recommended to me by a friend who had been there. I can't recommend this place enough. I am suspicious of the previous posters feedback as it in no way reflects what we experienced at Patara. Elephants were clearly cared for and treated well. At NO stage were pagan or bull hooks used.

We started our day learning how to check our elephant is healthy before being introduced to our own elephant for the day. Spent time feeding and watering our elephant before going on an extended ride to the river. A beautiful lunch was provided during our trip and the day culminated with spending time washing our elephant in the river.

It is expensive but the consensus of our group afterwards was it was well worth it, without exception. I is also hard on the legs. It is a wide animal and after a while you feel it.

A disc with photos and video is provided. We have memories for a lifetime and a new appreciation for elephant conservation. I will post some photos after we get back from our trip so check my profile for photos.

Visited January 2013
4 Thank Slimbobid
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Perfect way to spend my birthday!”
Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

My friend booked us this trip for me to spend my 30th birthday. I adore elephants and this was a dream come true! I had the most amazing day! We were picked up in a very comfortable minivan and taken to the farm, we were given a short introduction and given the opportunity to apply sunscreen and insect spray and use the bathroom (with a view). We were then taken to meet the elephants and all assigned our own, I had Su, he was adoreable! We learnt the 4 main ways of knowing your elephant is healthy and then washed them down before learning to get on to go for a ride. Once at the waterfall it was bath time, we gave our elephants a good wash and learnt about their skincare regime. All day the staff were taking photos and videos, which they give you copies of on DVD at the end. The wives and girlfriends of the staff had prepared us lunch at the waterfall, very delicious! Then it was a short ride back before saying bye to our elephants and mahouts, I was very sad! But we were then taken to meet the baby elephants, they were so cute! This was a whole day experience and for me it was the best birthday ever! The most magical experience! The staff are all special for what they do and do not big up this experience as they don't need too! This trip is not in all the tourist information shops in chiang mai as it is the best on here for word of mouth! That makes it even more amazing! I have nothing negative to say about this trip!
Take your own camera too! Your mahout who stays with you and your elephant will take pics for you! I can't look at the DVD til I get home but I have some wonderful pics on my own camera! Overall, an experience not to be missed!

1 Thank Jtads
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Brilliant day, but very expensive (especially on Thai standards)”
Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

We had a great day and it was very interesting and informative, but it is incredibly expensive especially on Thai standards. Be careful especially if you are tall as the trousers provided won't completely cover your legs, I ended up with a bacterial infection from the elephant's hairs rubbing against my legs and needed a course of antibiotics.

5 Thank Chris1985UK
Malmo, Sweden
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Memories”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

It’s expensive, but you honestly do need a full day and it’s not bad value for money when you think of all the memories created.
there was no waiting around during our day, we were constantly occupied and having fun.
you never feel rushed or neglected. it’s all seamless and is probably much harder to manage than it looks.
one tip I would give if you come as a pair is to think carefully whether you’d like your own elephant or to share one.

Visited January 2013