Hollanda Montri Guesthouse
$87
LeMeridien.com
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
De Naga Hotel(Chiang Mai)
$105
$252
$376
$340
Agoda.com
All reviewsping rivertuk tukrooms are basicriverside locationhot showermosquito coilschiang mai centrefree bicyclesair conenjoyed our staycomfortable bedold townwould definitely stay here againper nightnight bazaarbahtthai
Reviewed September 13, 2013

The staff here was very friendly and with a bar/restaurant right on the river, we spent a beautiful evening lazing and drinking as the sun went down. The room was spacious and clean, and it was very convenient for getting to the city center.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2013

There's probably better places to stay in Chiang Mai with good value. But we couldn't find one. Bamboo Guesthouse we checked but promptly turned it down. Hollands Montri's best things are the casual friendly staff, and is riverside. Nice spot to hang out in the evening. Rooms are very simple, but I liked them. The menu didn't impress me, nor the prices. Most of the guests are Europeans (Dutch probably) and were mostly smokers. We are not smokers so weren't too impressed with this.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed August 23, 2013

The staff here are AMAZING! They are so friendly and helpful, I would stay here again just for them!
The rooms are clean but very basic, but can't expect more when paying so little, it was just what we needed.
Location is really nice just on the river, it is so calm and peaceful and relaxing. Bit out of the city though but only a short tuk tuk ride or a 20 minute walk with plenty to see on the way.
Food was ok again basic but what I would have expected for the price.
Can't stress enough how nice the staff were, if you need any trips booking they will sort everything out for you!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We ended up staying here for a week early August, after having chosen Hollanda from TripAdvisor ratings. We called a day ahead to book (from Bangkok) and the room was available when we arrived Sunday eve. Wanting a lazy spot to relax for awhile, we very much enjoyed sitting on their verandah, drinking (very good fresh ground) coffee, watching the river flow by and reading. You are outside of town with very minimal noise. We had an upstairs room (#7) and the loudest thing was the AC generator on the mini balcony (which we never used as it looked onto a car park). The room was clean and simple. The first night our pillows were like bricks (!!) but they replaced immediately after we asked for new ones. The shower was hot but low pressure, Western toilet (but no bidet hose). TV was good enough with two movie channels. Mattress not too hard!
The walk into the old/main part of town is not as far as some may lead to believe. A direct walk along good street food. If you need a red taxi they drive by plenty as soon as you reach the bridge around the corner. Getting a taxi back from town is easier but sometimes the drivers want more than the usual 20B/person, especially on night market nights. We just walked.
The reason for our average rating was a felt lack of hospitality at the guesthouse. Owner Am is loud and prefers chatting to friends than taking care of guests. Though we ate breakfast there daily, and drank multitudes of coffee and beer, you had the feeling that they were upset that you did not dine there, or book trips through them. It was the little things and lack of owner generosity that could be improved on: charging us 20B for a phone call when it only costs her 1B to place, no goodbye or thanks for staying, constantly asking how long will we stay when we said from the start that we travel flexibly, deciding to fix the broken fan on the verandah the day we leave.
All in all a nice enough spot, we enjoyed our relaxing time sipping coffee - but, with a little love, it could easily be so much better.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank OldJailhouse
Reviewed July 25, 2013

HOLLANDA MONTRI GUESTHOUSE

13-22.03.2013 I accomodated in Hollanda Montri Guesthouse. Nice place, good restaurant, specially in eveningtime beautiful view to the Ping-river and some stairs here and there… the stairs do not like me; in Hollanda Montri the staff helped me ! Location is little outside of the city, on other side of the river. Instead of walking to / from city using a tuk tuk was a least 60 THB one way.

Only problem was when checking out; they wanted and charged 3 % extra when paying with MasterCard. They told that I should know the creditcardfee. How could I have known it; during at least six earlier trips to Thailand no one had charged extra for that, in hotels, guesthouses, tailors, optikshops. Why didn’t they tell of that; from my first email to the last morning I told I should pay with MasterCard; they should have told me the price including that fee.

Room Tip: I prefer a fanroom, they also have rooms with ac
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo