“I had a good stay”
Review of Pagoda Inn

Pagoda Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Pagoda Inn
Ranked #459 of 758 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Austin, Texas
“I had a good stay”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I stumbled across Pagoda Inn while exploring Chiang Mai. I had been staying in service apartments in the Santhitam area, and was looking for a quieter place, away from college parties. Pagoda is a short distance from the moat, extremely convenient to restaurants and bars, and amazingly quiet-- the most noise I heard during my stay came from another guesthouse across the way. I've stayed in several places in Thailand--Bangkok, Phuket, and Chiang Mai--and I can honestly report I slept in the most comfortable bed I had yet encountered in the kingdom. Also, the shower was the first "western style" I had seen in Thailand--instead of the seemingly ubiquitous electric box on the wall, Pagoda has separate hot and cold water pipes. The office staff were friendly and helpful, and frequently offered to brew a cup of fresh coffee. They opened a vacant room for me to use the shower in when mine wasn't working, and they resolved the problem quickly, restoring water to my room. I met a host of tourists from many countries while sitting in the garden area, and was able to purchase a "krathong" float from a nice young lady working in the tattoo shop in the back. The staff were busy preparing for the Festival (Yi Peng and Loy Krathong) planting new grass and flowers out front, and they were available to recommend where to go to enjoy the festivities. They even launched a couple of the fire balloons along with the rest of the neighborhood. They took my laundry out for me, and returned it the next day washed and pressed for about what it would cost me to wash and dry it myself. I've enjoyed all of places I've been in Thailand, and Pagoda is one of the places I will definitely return to.

Room Tip: Stay in the back, upstairs.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed March 17, 2012

Despite the nice looking facade, the rooms are in bad condition. I stayed for a night in a fan room which has a terribly small fan and a party of mosquitoes waiting to feast on my partner and me. However, i was rather lucky to survive the night without any attack from the mosquitoes army. The shower stinks! The water has a terrible smell and i have to let it run for some moment before i step into the shower (courage&bravery are needed in this process). Just look for better room in that area.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lee12345689

Travelers are raving about these Chiang Mai hotels

Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed March 12, 2012

it was very early in the morning when we arrived and not many places were open so we walked and met a foreigner recommending this place, as it was also mentioned in lonely planet, we decided to go cause we desperately needed some proper sleep. Happy to check in early but the place was just dirty (dead cockroach in a drawer) not properly wiped floors, spider webs, no toiletries.
We asked for cleaning first, they said they are busy.. We just went to sleep (dead tired), after that we did it ourselves actually..we paid for it already so wanted to spend the night. At night its noisy, drunk british literally screaming, staff up from 6 doing god knows what. Only good thing was nearby korean restaurant! But you can walk there from somewhere else.
Everything looks good from the outside but beware..

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank czhunty
Chiang Mai
Reviewed March 10, 2012

I arrived in Chiang Mai on the train and tramped it into town, and found the Pagoda Inn by chance. I asked to see a room and the owner took me through a beautiful maze of halls and outer pathways. I liked the feel of the grounds, but the first room he showed was small and dark, so I asked to see the more expensive room (600 baht), it had a wide window overlooking the court yard, and the room was larger, so I decided to stay the night. The room was not dirty, but it was a bit dated, and one of the light fixtures was broken.

The bathroom had a toilet paper dispenser but was lacking a roll, so I inquired and was told I could buy it down the road. I laughed at this, but wanting to explore the city anyways, I walked down the road and bought some at a 7/11. When I returned to the room I sat in the lounge chair gazing at the pleasant court yard below, but realized I had no privacy - all of the patrons could easily see me and I decided to instead lay in bed gazing at the green foliage of the trees.

I had a good sleep, no troubles, but the shower in the morning had no hot water, so I asked about this and the manager was helpful and was able to fix the heater. When I finally took my shower the drain was clogged and the bathroom flooded quickly, so I had to content myself with a quick 5 minutes.

When considering whether to stay another night, the biggest factor in deciding to leave in search of a better place was the price - I did not want to pay 600 baht for a place with a clogged shower drain.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank SunflowerBlues
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed here after Lonely Planet recommended it. We arrived late and had an air con room with 3 people for 550baht. This room was fine, and fairly clean so we decided to stay here for 2 nights later in the week on passing back through Chiang Mai.
We had 2 fan rooms between 4 for 250b per room. What a change between the air con and fan rooms! The beds were just a mattress on the concrete floor with dirty, damp smelling sheets. The fans were not working, and required 3 trips to reception to get fixed. Both rooms had cockroaches running around them and one had an electrical socket explode when a hairdryer was plugged in. The management were not bothered! I also woke up with lots of bites around my ankles - not sure if they were bed bugs or mosquitoes in the night. I did try to look for bed bugs but didn't see any.
The owner tried to sell us an elephant trekking trip, and we said that we would think about it when we went out for dinner. Whilst out, we got a better deal for a similar trip so booked that. When the owner asked us about this later, we told him we had already booked and he got VERY moody!
The plus was a hot and powerful shower, but this resulted in the bathroom flooding, and having to get someone out to clean it up.
Other places much better for similar, if not less money!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 8, 2011

Arrived into ChiangMai late and picked this place out of the LP book. Shown to Room 114 for 300b per night. Looked okay at a glance so we took it. The door to the room had been open whenwe got there...
Dropped the bags in and realised there were cockroaches behind the beds, in the bathroom, along with quite a few mosquitos, and the musky/damp smell in the room told me why the door had been open when I got there.
Sprayed the place with anti-bug spray and came back after an hour to find 6+ cockroaches in the bathroom. After a bad sleep on a rock hard bed, woke up to find another roach crawling along beside me.
I appreciate that you get what you pay for (300b is reasonably cheap) and insects/bugs are to be expected in this part of the world, but this was a bit much. Spoke to the owner in the morning - and he was a nice guy, but didn't seem to care.
WIFI only works if you stand in the lobby.
Best thing about the place is the cats. They are very charming.
You can do a lot better than this place.

Room Tip: Don't pay up front. Make SURE the room is clean, ie. sniff the blankets (seriously, i wish i had...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 7, 2011

Really really loved the pagoda inn the room was great and staff always friendly. However we booked our overnight bus tickets to Bangkok through the hotel and our bank cards were stolen and £700 spent on them. I just found out this happened to my friend too 3 weeks ago they charged $1600 to massage parlours using her card. After googling the Chiang Mai to Bangkok tourist bus you will find lots of horror stories of the people who work on the bus stealing your stuff while you sleep..so just be very careful!!

• Stayed June 2011