“don't always trust lonely planet”
Review of Pagoda Inn

Pagoda Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Pagoda Inn
Ranked #462 of 784 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 12, 2012

it was very early in the morning when we arrived and not many places were open so we walked and met a foreigner recommending this place, as it was also mentioned in lonely planet, we decided to go cause we desperately needed some proper sleep. Happy to check in early but the place was just dirty (dead cockroach in a drawer) not properly wiped floors, spider webs, no toiletries.
We asked for cleaning first, they said they are busy.. We just went to sleep (dead tired), after that we did it ourselves actually..we paid for it already so wanted to spend the night. At night its noisy, drunk british literally screaming, staff up from 6 doing god knows what. Only good thing was nearby korean restaurant! But you can walk there from somewhere else.
Everything looks good from the outside but beware..

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank czhunty

Reviewed March 10, 2012

I arrived in Chiang Mai on the train and tramped it into town, and found the Pagoda Inn by chance. I asked to see a room and the owner took me through a beautiful maze of halls and outer pathways. I liked the feel of the grounds, but the first room he showed was small and dark, so I asked to see the more expensive room (600 baht), it had a wide window overlooking the court yard, and the room was larger, so I decided to stay the night. The room was not dirty, but it was a bit dated, and one of the light fixtures was broken.

The bathroom had a toilet paper dispenser but was lacking a roll, so I inquired and was told I could buy it down the road. I laughed at this, but wanting to explore the city anyways, I walked down the road and bought some at a 7/11. When I returned to the room I sat in the lounge chair gazing at the pleasant court yard below, but realized I had no privacy - all of the patrons could easily see me and I decided to instead lay in bed gazing at the green foliage of the trees.

I had a good sleep, no troubles, but the shower in the morning had no hot water, so I asked about this and the manager was helpful and was able to fix the heater. When I finally took my shower the drain was clogged and the bathroom flooded quickly, so I had to content myself with a quick 5 minutes.

When considering whether to stay another night, the biggest factor in deciding to leave in search of a better place was the price - I did not want to pay 600 baht for a place with a clogged shower drain.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank SunflowerBlues
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed here after Lonely Planet recommended it. We arrived late and had an air con room with 3 people for 550baht. This room was fine, and fairly clean so we decided to stay here for 2 nights later in the week on passing back through Chiang Mai.
We had 2 fan rooms between 4 for 250b per room. What a change between the air con and fan rooms! The beds were just a mattress on the concrete floor with dirty, damp smelling sheets. The fans were not working, and required 3 trips to reception to get fixed. Both rooms had cockroaches running around them and one had an electrical socket explode when a hairdryer was plugged in. The management were not bothered! I also woke up with lots of bites around my ankles - not sure if they were bed bugs or mosquitoes in the night. I did try to look for bed bugs but didn't see any.
The owner tried to sell us an elephant trekking trip, and we said that we would think about it when we went out for dinner. Whilst out, we got a better deal for a similar trip so booked that. When the owner asked us about this later, we told him we had already booked and he got VERY moody!
The plus was a hot and powerful shower, but this resulted in the bathroom flooding, and having to get someone out to clean it up.
Other places much better for similar, if not less money!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 8, 2011

Arrived into ChiangMai late and picked this place out of the LP book. Shown to Room 114 for 300b per night. Looked okay at a glance so we took it. The door to the room had been open whenwe got there...
Dropped the bags in and realised there were cockroaches behind the beds, in the bathroom, along with quite a few mosquitos, and the musky/damp smell in the room told me why the door had been open when I got there.
Sprayed the place with anti-bug spray and came back after an hour to find 6+ cockroaches in the bathroom. After a bad sleep on a rock hard bed, woke up to find another roach crawling along beside me.
I appreciate that you get what you pay for (300b is reasonably cheap) and insects/bugs are to be expected in this part of the world, but this was a bit much. Spoke to the owner in the morning - and he was a nice guy, but didn't seem to care.
WIFI only works if you stand in the lobby.
Best thing about the place is the cats. They are very charming.
You can do a lot better than this place.

Room Tip: Don't pay up front. Make SURE the room is clean, ie. sniff the blankets (seriously, i wish i had...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 7, 2011

Really really loved the pagoda inn the room was great and staff always friendly. However we booked our overnight bus tickets to Bangkok through the hotel and our bank cards were stolen and £700 spent on them. I just found out this happened to my friend too 3 weeks ago they charged $1600 to massage parlours using her card. After googling the Chiang Mai to Bangkok tourist bus you will find lots of horror stories of the people who work on the bus stealing your stuff while you sleep..so just be very careful!!

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank Willyfoggs
Reviewed February 14, 2011

I checked into this place because it had a good review on Frommers. From the moment I checked-in, the staff weren't very friendly at all. The woman was on the phone the entire time she was checking me in and when I asked her questions about maps, tours, and location of the touristy areas, she just handed me a map and continued talking.

Unfortunately, I went during the busy season with loads of Australians and others on holiday. I walked into many hotels and inns, but all were full, so I had no choice but to stay there for another night.

The overall look of the Pagoda Inn is nice. Very bohemian and relaxed. Not many people around though, so it's not a good place to meet other travelers. Everyone is practically gone all day on tours. There's two cats and an adorable dog that freely roam about, which I loved. They have two rabbits in a cage as well near the entrance.

My room was a single, it was very clean, the bathroom was nice, and so was the shower. Very basic, but alright for $11USD/night. Though, other places are cheaper and nicer.

Con's:
-Lacked atmosphere
-Bad location, very far from the gates of the ancient city. Most tuk tuk drivers had a hard time finding it.
-Noisy, the staff that work at the inn were very noisy in the morning.
-Lack of customer service. The staff really couldn't be bothered to help anyone. They were busy in their own world.
-Dodgey showers. I stayed for four nights and on last night, there was no hot water at all. I told staff in the morning and all they said was to wait, which I did for a total of 10 minutes, then gave up. When I told them that, they had no response, but to say they would check it out.
-No computers for internet access, there is wifi if you bring your laptop.

Pro's:
-The room was clean and a good size for one person.
- The place is pretty aesthetically, too bad it's not the same for the people that work there or service.

Overall, I would suggest people stay elsewhere. They can find a better hotel/inn at a better location for cheaper and get better service.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed February 11, 2011

We stayed here for one night and left the nextday. We payed 450b a night and then got told that we had to pay extra for toilet paper! What a joke! The only place in the world where you have to pay to wipe your bum! There were much better places to say then here. In fact we found a nicer place for only 300b just down the road. And the staff were so much nicer! At Pogoda, the staff were not very helpful at all, had better things to be doing then to help you. It looks nice from the outside not very nice inside. I could go on but it wouldn't be nice.

• Stayed: February 2011