Tripadvisor
Search
Open today: 9:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Review Highlights
Absolutely amazing!

I did the 3-day tour with 2 friends and it was absolutely amazing! Our guides „Jojo“ and „Pierre... read more

Reviewed 4 days ago
nweh2205
via mobile
Amazing experience with our guide PASOR

It was hard, long but unforgetable experience !! The trek with the return by rafting was just... read more

Reviewed 6 days ago
Nicopiz

Recommended experiences in and around Chiang Mai
from $232.94
from $126.87
from $93.26
from $41.03
1,827 results
All reviews bamboo raft trekking tour day trek days trekking lahu village great trekking no electricity elephant camp amazing trek karen village great cook guest house authentic experience rainy season great guide local village rice fields
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I did a one day trek with my teenage daughter. I re-wrote this post after being contacted by the company. First of all, the company was great to deal with. I changed my mind multiple times as to what we wanted once I read from one reviewer that the harder one day trek included 5 hours of driving and they were very responsive and kind to work with. I was really very indecisive and they were patient and professional. I was debating an entirely different tour and finally chose the softer trek from them.

I am giving this trip 3 stars for two reasons. One, I think it would have been fabulous as a 2 or 3 day trek deeper in the jungle but the hiking was just okay on ours. There were no look outs or great views that I know the nearby national park had.. Walking by the water was fun but in my opinion, it would have been more beautiful to go to the nearby national park and do a spectacular hike there. Or, go the Karen village elephant sanctuary to see really spend time with the elephants in a gorgeous village and see the flora and fauna that way. (we did the elephant stop on this trip which was fun to feed elephants for an hour but paled in comparison with the next full day at a sanctuary). Once we got to the Karen village, we just walked through quickly without speaking about it at all and had lunch at a tittle hut along a dirt road where we didn't interact with anyone. I thought we would learn a little about the village or village life. (I did ask some questions but I don't think they were well understood). We decided not to do the rafting since we were told the water level was very low and at that point, we decided to spend out time back in Chang Mai.

The second reason is that in our experience, our guide spoke very limited English. I was told he speaks great English so perhaps he was just quiet or it was an off day. We were told very little of the land and people and many of my questions did not seem well understood. In any event, I read so many reviews of people who found their guide so entertaining and engaging. Ours was certainly very nice but that was just not our experience for whatever reason.

I know reviews affect a company and this is clearly one of the top agencies that many people gave 4 and 5 stars to. I struggled to write this because this company was great. They even gave us a cheaper rate at the end since we cancelled the rafting which I didn't expect at all and did not ask for. But, I use TA to plan all of my trips and I rely on this community to be honest and share their thoughts. I am not giving the company 3 stars. I am giving our experience of the one day softer trek 3 stars because it was a bit boring for us and I could have used the time much better as I stated above.

We each plan our trips with so much care to make the most out of our incredible experience of travel and had I read my review, I perhaps would have picked something that suited us better for that day. Other people greatly enjoyed the one day trek (especially families with small kids) so take this with a grain of salt if it doesn't resonate for you and sorry to the company. I give mostly 5 stars in my reviews but this was my experience that I feel obligated to share. I thank all of the other reviewers who share all of their experiences-even when it doesn't feel comfortable to write it.

Date of experience: December 2019
Chiangmai-Trekking, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Chiangmai Trekking with Piroon, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Stacey,

thank you for your review.

As we have already stated in our email to you:

In the last days, I have been reading through the more than 20 emails that you have been sending and - although I have been doing this for seven years now - I must say that never before have I seen a more muddled back and forth in change of minds/plans for a simple one day trekking tour.

I also have talked personally to Jit and Piroon and to your guide Mr. K about this tour, so I will try to sort things regarding your out here a little…

I am speaking fluent english myself and - although it’s not my first language - I would attest Mr. K quite good english skills for a Thai person. When I was talking with him he was not sure why you would think his english was very limited and neither can I. And quite frankly, I am not alone with this opinion - you can find many reviews that mention Mr. K using the TripAdvisor Reviews search.

In all honesty that you ascribe to your own reviews: if all these reviews for Mr. K state how great the tours with him as a guide have been and with all the information I personally have gotten about the circumstances of your daytrip and the problems that you and your daughter had during the soft trekking relying on the help of Mr. K to manage the rather easy route, I am left puzzled.

You had the privilege of a private tour for the cost of a group tour and why you had problems with the good english of Mr K. or found him not being informative enough or think that you would have easily found a better route with more views and more interaction yourself, we will never know nor find out.

There are very rare times where, no matter what we do or how much effort we put into a tour, people simply will not be or cannot be satisfied - that is ok with us.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

So was an excellent guide with a good sense of humour, he enjoyed the trek and telling us all about wild animals and fauna more than we did. Food was excellent and the scenery was amazing. The villages and the rafting was exceptional too :) I would love to do this sort of thing again with same guide. He even prepared a pancake for my friend's birthday together with a lantern and fireworks. He also thought us basic fishing skills and card games. Shower time was very refreshing as no electricity at all. We saw water snakes, beautiful birds and butterflies and a dead phython. Lovely !! Well done to all :) It was well worth it !!

Dear Tanja,

thank you for the review of your 3-days/2-nights trekking tour with Chiangmai Trekking from January 2020.

We are very pleased that you had so much fun on your trekking tour and experiencing the incredible nature of Northern Thailand with your guide So and we hope you took home many, many awesome photos and many more memories of these days and that you will remember your jungle adventure for a very long time with a smile.

So is also sending you a warm "Khob khun khap" and he is also very happy that you had a great time with him and enjoyed his skills as your guide, cook, entertainer and bamboo captain.

Thank you very much for the recommendation of our trekking tours for anyone else who is still searching for the best trekking in Northern Thailand.

If you visit Chiang Mai again in the future and would like to do a longer tour with us, be it on a trekking tour or on a private sightseeing tour (Doi Suthep, Doi Inthanon, Chiang Rai, etc.), just contact us in advance - we would be very happy to welcome you back again.

With the best regards and wishes to Malta from Thailand
Piroon & Jit Nantaya
(and your guide So of course)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Very nice experience enjoying of the nature , our guide was very friendly , making the moment funny and explained us diferents things in our way, always worry in everything and the last guide can make you perfect bamboo stick if you need .
In the night we was doing few games after dinner in the village , food was amazing , special the chicken, better than KFC .
Thanks to Jojo and pierrer ( the guides) for make me feel comfortable in all the trekking ❤️

Dear Sergio,

thank you for the review of your 2-days/1-night trekking tour with Chiangmai Trekking from January 2020.

We are very happy that you had a great time with your guide JoJo and that you enjoyed your insight into the terrific nature of Northern Thailand along your trekking tour and loved the yummy food and we hope that you will think back to these days for a very long time smiling.

JoJo also would like to send you a warm "Khob khun khap" and he is very happy that you had so much fun with him as your guide.

If you plan to return to Chiang Mai again and would like to see more of this amazing area, be it on a trekking tour or on a private sightseeing tour (Doi Suthep, Doi Inthanon, Chiang Rai, etc.), please contact us in advance - we would like to welcome you back here.

With the best regards and wishes to Zhytomyr from Thailand
(with your guide JoJo)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I did the 3 day / 2 nights and Piroon&Jit did an excellent job at organizing it.
The guide was quite energetic, which was highly needed after 3 hours of trekking.
Jit was extremely attentive to our needs and incredibly friendly.
I recommend this place
Dom

Dear Dom,

We are delighted that you had a lot of fun and a great time during your jungle adventure in Northern Thailand with us and took home many impressions and we hope that you will think back to this experience with a smile for a very long time.

Thank you very much for recommending our trekking tours to all those who are still looking for the best trekking in Chiang Mai.

We want all our guests to feel taken care of from the very first contact with us until the minute they are leaving us again - and even beyond this point if necessary and possible. So it is very nice to see that our communication with our valued guests also finds its positive way into the ratings.

With the best regards and wishes to Katy from Thailand

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We booked a 3D/2N private TrekkingTour for our family. We are enthusiastic hikers and we did not want to do the „normal touristic program“. Piroon and his wife found the right guide for us and customized a hiking tour according to our needs. We had a great time with our guide Mr. A, very good food and enjoyed every minute of our tour. Piroon’s agency is highly recommendable..especially if you do not want to join the crowds and are looking for a special adventure !

Dear Toralf & family,

thank you for sharing your experience of your 3-days/2-nights trekking tour with Chiangmai Trekking from January 2020 and also for sharing so many of your private photos of the tour.

We are very happy that you rate your jungle adventure into some of mother natures finest art in Thailand with your guide Mr. A as being a top experience and that you enjoyed all the many impressions along the way. We hope that you took home many unforgettable memories of your trekking tour with us and think back to these days smiling.

Your guide Mr. A also would like to send a heartfelt "Khob khun khap" and he is pleased that you have had a great time with him as your guide, entertainer, cook and bamboo captain.

Thanks a lot (from Jit: "Khob khun mak mak kha") for the recommendation of our trekking tours for all others who are still searching for the best trekking in Chiang Mai.

If you return to Chiang Mai again and would like to see more of its beautiful surroundings, be it on a trekking tour or on a private sightseeing tour (Doi Suthep, Doi Inthanon, Chiang Rai, etc.), please contact us in advance - we would be happy to welcome you back again.

With the best regards and wishes to Nuremberg from Thailand
Piroon & Jit Nantaya
(along with your guide Mr. A)