“Open late, good food”
Review of The Duke's

The Duke's
Ranked #63 of 2,259 Restaurants in Chiang Mai
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Description: Since 2005 David Anichowski opened the Duke’s the first American restaurant by the Ping River in Chiang Mai.David Anichowski loves to eat great food and have a good time with family and friends, it is slogan is “No claims…No Games…Just Great food” A lot of hard work has provided Great food, Great service and Great prices to the customer of the Duke’s The Duke’s sells a lot of fresh beef; we only use imported Australian meat for our steaks, and we buy a lot of products directly from Bangkok. All of our sauces, breads, soups, dressings and cakes are made fresh daily and we cook to order. The American-style food is served in a family-friendly atmosphere The Duke’s has 5 outlets in Chiang Mai and Lamphun, Ping River, Maya Shopping Mall, Night Bazaar, Promenade Mall and Jampha Mall in Lamphun.
Reviewed August 24, 2014

Overall solid experience at Duke's. Service was great, and food was good as well. We arrived around 10:30 and they stayed open for us and one other table. I had several local Thai friends argue about the best western restaurant - the name Duke's didn't always win, but it was always mentioned favorably.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,263)

Reviewed August 22, 2014 via mobile

A double portion of Dukes restaurants over a couple of days in Chiang Mai. Wednesday evening along the banks of the Ping River, Friday lunchtime at the Chang Klan location by the Night Bazaar.

I wouldn't normally choose to eat in American restaurants, chiefly because I don't always have the appetite for American-sized portions, but this was a very pleasant surprise. Avoided pizza although I'm told they are excellent - the 'small' pizza is a mere 12". On the advice of a regular customer, I chose the 'falling-off-the-bone" ribs. The half-rack, for around 300 baht, with a tangy sweet bbq sauce, corn bread, mashed potatoes, coleslaw. The beef was tender, really delicious. Rubbed with brown sugar as well as herbs and spices. Glad I didn't go for the full rack though. As it was I had no room for the dessert, much as I was tempted by the apple pie. Sorry I can't remember the final bill, but it's not the cheapest place in town. Drinking a 'proper' Martini while waiting for our dining partners didn't help - think that was about 200 baht. Daughter was kept occupied in typically efficient American style with a colour-in kids' menu and crayons. Her meal was too hefty in size for her, but she battled through a fair amount of her spaghetti bolognaise with meatballs. All in all, a very good meal.

Friday lunchtime saw us wandering through the bones of the daily reconstructed Night Bazaar along Chang Klan. As the rain began to belt down for the third day in succession, the nearest refuge was a McDonalds. The second nearest, a Dukes. No contest.

Again the colour-in children's menu was produced, which was attacked with just as much gusto as the first. Why don't more independent restaurants do this? Is it considered to be tasteless, lacking in class? Who cares, it keeps the bouncier kid occupied for some considerable time, and that's a definite plus in my book. A lack of stress definitely helps digestion...

Opted for steak today. Again, glad I went for the smaller 225g one at about 685 baht. It was plenty for me. With 'real' fries (best home-made fries I've had for a while), and crisp fresh veg. A manager came across to ask if all was ok, and I willingly complimented her on the steak. Succulent and tasty. And genuinely 'blue' as I had requested. The 'garlic diablo sauce' was a bit too devilish for my liking though.

My side salad was largely demolished by the 5 year old along with much of the tasty fresh bread. Apparently it was good. She'd eaten at a friend's not long before and professed to have no appetite at all. Mai pen lai, I'll try it next time. Dukes have five branches in Chiang Mai, with a sixth opening soon. They must be doing something right...

* More of my reviews with photos on the FB group ThailandWineAndDine *

1  Thank BiteMeBistro
Reviewed August 21, 2014 via mobile

If you love food and an american ambience with Thai service then this place has to be visited.

These pizzas are amazing, delicious and oozing with flavours.

I'll come visit every time I visit Chiang Mai.

Lovely soul food.

Reviewed August 18, 2014

I went there with five colleagues. The atmosphere was nice. The food? Mine was merely OK (although the crab cakes I had as a starter were quite good), but those who ordered pizza said theirs was great. We had one of our party order a pizza, lasagna, and onion rings. When they arrived, he had enough food for a week. The portions are really huge.

Service was friendly and good. We stayed quite awhile and had a very pleasant evening.

Reviewed August 18, 2014

Having visited Dukes 6 years ago with a big family group, a return visit was a little disappointing.
The portions were large but the quality not great. The service was attentive and friendly with local water being filled regularly. It is slap bang in the Night Market so convenient for grabbing a bit to eat.