“Pizzas are the best in Chiang Mai”
Review of The Duke's

The Duke's
Ranked #68 of 2,143 Restaurants in Chiang Mai
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Since 2005 David Anichowski opened the Duke’s the first American restaurant by the Ping River in Chiang Mai.David Anichowski loves to eat great food and have a good time with family and friends, it is slogan is “No claims…No Games…Just Great food” A lot of hard work has provided Great food, Great service and Great prices to the customer of the Duke’s The Duke’s sells a lot of fresh beef; we only use imported Australian meat for our steaks, and we buy a lot of products directly from Bangkok. All of our sauces, breads, soups, dressings and cakes are made fresh daily and we cook to order. The American-style food is served in a family-friendly atmosphere The Duke’s has 5 outlets in Chiang Mai and Lamphun, Ping River, Maya Shopping Mall, Night Bazaar, Promenade Mall and Jampha Mall in Lamphun.
Chiang Mai, Thailand
“Pizzas are the best in Chiang Mai”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I typically order their boston style pizza, it can get very expensive if you order lots of toppings, but the pizzas have bags of flavour without adding too many toppings. Have had their new england chowder, burgers and steaks and they are all good. But the pizza is the winner for me.

Visited November 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
“Good food, huge portions, swarming bugs, and...once only.”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We visited here the day after Duke's had hosted three seatings of folks for American-style Thanksgiving dinner, which we'd heard good things about. We arrived in mid-afternoon to an uncrowded restaurant and my kids (well-traveled Americans) were happy for a taste of Western food after experiencing many other kinds of cuisine.

2 kids under 10 can easily get by with sharing a meal here. The portions are huge even by American standards. The food was served promptly and the service was decent, but two other things made it a "once only" stop for us during our week in Chiang Mai: the price (as much as 2-3 times as expensive as more local-style meals in the area) and the swarming bugs biting us all under our table.

Granted, The Duke's isn't the only restaurant challenged by these little biters. At other places the staff put electric fans at just below table height to keep the bugs from hanging out under our table. Here, nobody noticed or seemed to care that we were all slapping our legs every few seconds and generally trying to get out of the restaurant as quickly as possible.

It just seemed unnecessary to experience a distraction like that. But then again, the day before (in between those Thanksgiving dinner seatings) I'd walked into the restaurant to ask if any seats were available for the last serving time of the day, and a group of not-that-busy servers gabbing near the bar studiously avoided even saying hello to me as I walked right up to them. I stood patiently at the bar as they all wandered off, experienced the same brush-off by the bar staff, and then finally got the attention of somebody by practically stepping in front of them to block their path. So service was, I guess, below what I'd hope for.

Can't fault the food, though. My pizza was great and everyone else (adults and kids) enjoyed theirs too. Had I not also been a meal for a couple dozen tiny flying insects, I might've enjoyed it even more.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank matthew_01
Sydney, Australia
“OK if you are hungry”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We were tired and hungry after a long flight so took this easy option near our hotel. Meal was OK, as was the service, but prices a bit steep for the area. We soon discovered better options nearby and didn't return.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Julia255060
Seoul, South Korea
“When you need some western food”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We love Thai food, but one night it is nice to have a burger or pizza. The Duke's is just the place. The service is good, as is the food and portions are on the large side--just right for sharing a few western style dishes with the family.

Visited December 2012
Chiang Mai, Thailand
“Duke's revisited, again and again and ...”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

My wife and I never tire of good quality food prepared in clean kitchens and served with a happy attitude.

We're both accomplished cooks; I spent ~15yrs in the trade; so we eat out to enjoy cuisine not easily prepared at-home.

The Dukes specialties, slow-cooked ribs and wood-fired pizza, are simply fabulous, mouth-watering! Better than one could expect in Texas or Rome ... certainly a lot less expensive!

We've never had a steak at The Dukes although many local mates reckon they're as good as the best Aussie offerings ... maybe next time, once we've waded thru another ribs marathon ...

• Visited November 2012