“Excellent”
Review of Bodhi Serene Hotel

Bodhi Serene Hotel
Ranked #35 of 380 Hotels in Chiang Mai

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed October 6, 2009

We arrived after a very long, sleepless night on the train from Bangkok (a real adventure, I'm glad we did it but next time I'll fly!!!). We were given a nice cold drink and then shown to our room.

We had booked and paid for an upgrade to an executive suite as we were travelling to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. When the porter took us to our room imagine our surprise to be shown to a standard room with twin beds. Before the porter had finished bringing in our luggage I said there was a mistake and we headed back to the front desk. The man on the desk was not being very helpful so I asked if he had the accommodation voucher I had just given him to cross check with the details they had on their system, I pointed out that both very clearly said "executive room" on them. He seemed to be reluctant to do anything about it but then got on the phone to someone else and then came back to us and said he would put us in an executive room, no apology offered. We then set off again with the porter and were shown to another room right next door to the one we had been in. This turned out to be an executive room but after only moments we realised that the room positively reeked of cigarette smoke even though it was supposed to be non-smoking. My husband is a non-smoker, I am a smoker but I never smoke indoors and I found the odour hard to take as well. The porter had already gone by this time so after some discussion and feeling terribly embarassed I rang the front desk to say that we couldn't stay in this room. So back to the front desk with the long-suffering porter (who was very nice) for a change of keys again. Again there was on apology offered by the staff at reception.

Once we arrived in our room it was very nice and the large shower, bathtub and airconditioning very pleasant after the exhausting train trip.

We had breakfast each morning at the hotel which was your standard buffet breakfast. I must say I asked for scrambled eggs twice and these were the best scrambled eggs I had in the whole time we were in Thailand, however on our last morning I went to make a piece of toast and was surprised to find weevils in the bread basket and on the bread, no toast that morning!

We had room service the first night as we were so tired and we found the Tom Yum Goong to be one of the best we had in Thailand, the Pad Thai was nice but everything else was pretty average. The best part of our stay at the Bodhi Serene was sitting by the pool one hot afternoon and we decided to have a couple of cocktails, the Mojito was the best we have ever had, heaps of lime. The onion rings we ordered were also pretty good.

On the whole we were very disappointed with the service (lack of) at the Bodhi Serene, we did love Chiang Mai and will definitely be back but not to the Bodhi Serene.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple