“An outstanding hotel”

Ranked #35 of 375 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Sydney, Australia
“An outstanding hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are grand, staff very friendly, pool and gardens beautiful, breakfast incredible, cocktails by the pool very tasty and reasonably priced, central location in the old city, the ONLY place I will stay in Chiang Mai from now on.

Only criticism, which is small, is the hot water in the bathroom was a bit hit and miss (but could have been something to do with the fact our room was on the top floor). Also the beds are quite hard, which I didn't mind but my wife was a bit perturbed by.

All in all a great hotel

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nick_Chill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

We stayed at The Bodhi Serene for five nights in an Executive Room and would recommend this boutique hotel to others wanting to stay in the old city in Lanna style accommodation. The gardens were lush and green and created a peaceful haven in the busy city.Our room was spacious and clean. The bed was a little firm the first night so we spoke to the reception staff and they offered us a bed pad that made the bed much more comfortable. The bathroom had a separate shower and a wonderful oversize bath complete with complimentary bubble bath. No issues with hot water or bad drain smells so often a problem in Asian hotels. The choice at breakfast was not vast but more than adequate and fresh and tasty. The roof top pool was a great spot for a dip and the food and shakes at the pool side restaurant were cheap and delicious - I am not sure why but this area was underutilized by others staying in the resort. We stayed at another hotel in the Serene Group on our Thai holiday and what distinguished the Bodhi Serene was the excellent customer service - from the charming manager, the reception staff and the delightful Tip on the tour desk. If I returned to Chang Mai i would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room on the ground floor was a little dark
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CCH1960
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

The setting is very nice with design and gardens creating a peaceful setting.

It is located just inside the old city and easy access to the sunday night markets.

The room was large and bed firm, I also liked the balcony to just sit and relax.

Some small maintenance could be done on a few things like the outside door that was a bit tricky to lock.

The spa was large and clean, but I didn't use it as the water pressure was too low that it seemed to take forever to fill.

I found this boutique hotel very pleasant and would probably stay here again.

The staff were very pleasant and helpful, the best I had in my 3 week stay in Thailand.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank JasperCruze
Melbourne Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

Wow where do I start. Ok at the beginning. yes I was worried about staying here. I had read some mixed TA reviews but decided okay let's just go with it. I e-mailed them a week before arrival asking for extra padding on the bed. We stayed in an executive double room, I think 225. It was next to a stairwell so only had one neighbour. 224 would have been equally as good too I believe. The higher numbers, say 227+ would have been a tad close to a bar and loud whoops and music. We didn't hear any of that inside our room at all. The room was fine, it had a nice lanna style and was large and comfortable. There was a little gap in the door but I had surgical paper tape on me (due to a small injury before we even left for Thailand, purchased at the airport) so I found that was perfect for covering the gap. Yes I was worried about mosquitoes but we only ever had one in our room the whole 4 nights. No frog sounds either. The room was large and comfortable, the bathroom yes it could do with a little updating but really we are not the precious sort and it was just fine for us. The location was great. Just outside the hotel were massage places. 100BHT for 30 mins, even my OH had his first massage ever (foot) and loved it. There are convenience stores handy, oh my we bought heaps and was amazed at the prices...for some beer, a Breezer, juices and water...200bht the lot!!! Wow. 3-4 laundry places. We got it ALL done, at 40bht per kilo for washed, dried and ironed and then packaged neatly up in plastic, can't beat that. There are lots of tuk tuks and song taows (sorry if i spell that wrong) always going by so easy to hail one down. You can walk around the old town from there and Sunday market too, to go to the night market or other places usually around 80-100bht. That is $3 or under. Taxis as such are not a common sight, and the others are much more fun anyway.They do offer a free one way trip to the night market at 7pm each night, you put your name down for it. Just the outside activities were interesting alone, like the old man on a bike with coconuts on ice that would stop and you could have a fresh cold coconut drink for 40bht, loved the location. It had character in abundance.
OK to get to the hotel. The service was unobtrusive yet excellent. Everyone had a smile, you smile at them, they smile back and are super friendly. I will give a couple of examples. My husband asked if he could get some ice later on at the reception desk. They said sure not a problem. The young man asked if we wanted it then as we went past later and OH said no not yet, he must have told the young lady who was on duty later as she also asked as we went by and OH said yes please. To remember and pass the message on was really good (and to recognise us even more so). We had a breakfast box one day we had an early start, it was huge, satisfying and filling (we had choices too). As we were leaving we had our bags out and were happy to walk them down the ramp to reception but a maid passed us and before we knew it someone was up there with a luggage trolley helping us without us even saying a word. It's the little things that mean a lot and there were so many things they did for us without us needing to ask for them. The breakfast was really nice, there were quite a lot of choices. This place felt so warm and welcoming and comforting too, it was "home" to us. Somewhere special. I wish we had more time there and it was great reluctance that we had to leave. I hope to return one day.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the front than the back and e mail ahead for padding on the mattress
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank optionalextras
Lully, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

Friendly staff, hotel chauffeur available if necessary. Double Rooms big and quiet, (those on upper floors with balcony) although addequate closet space is lacking. Huge bath tubs (a waste of water and space) and a walk-in shower. Large and very firm beds and pillows.Buffet breakfast most satisfactory.
A few doors down to the left of the hotel is a convenient laundry we used daily for a ridiculously low price. Both French and English are spoken fluently by Matthiew the owner. Next door is a tailor I used to whip up some silk dresses and jackets.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Baat46
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

I went to Chiang Mai for a weekend getaway and I found Bodhi Serene Hotel was perfect for it. This hotel offers big room, quite and peaceful ambiance, centrally located, friendly and helpful staff. There are lot of temples, restaurants, coffee shops within walking distance, so it's really a recommended place for your getaway in Chiang Mai.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Mangkoe
Beijing, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

The location of this hotel is very good. It's convenient for eating and travellig. The service is good. When I have questions, they answered in patience. The swimming pool is also good.

The disadvantage is the bed. The wood edge of the bed stick out a little. And it hurted me 3 times!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family