Review Highlights
The Sunday performance of Into the Light Focus on the Actor

This was a brilliant Sunday afternoon of entertainment. The actors were all fabulous and it was... read more

Reviewed November 5, 2017
Denise K
Brisbane, Australia
Must see a show here

Gate theater was built up in 1928 and it still keep in really good condition now If you have time... read more

Reviewed July 27, 2017

from $27.00
from $21.94
from $28.48
More Info
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed February 15, 2017

This should definitely be on your list when you visit Chiang Mai.
I am signing up as a member so I can get the lastest news on the Gate Theater

Date of experience: January 2017
Reviewed November 26, 2016

As an American, living in Chiang Mai Thailand for more than 14 years now I can't begin to tell you all how much I appreciate live, English speaking theater here in my adopted hometown! I've lived in Boston and NYC and always loved going to live performances in both of those cities. When I found The Gate here in Chiang Mai, I was in heaven! After sitting in the audience for performances of The Laramie Project, Driving Miss Daisy (which brought me to tears), as well as several other of The Gate's projects I became involved. In September I joined a small group of "first time ever on the stage" actors for The Gate Readers Theater Group "one of" performances of "Morning's At Seven"....What a thrill! I strongly suggest if you're visiting my adopted hometown and there is a performance going on DO ATTEND....If you live here and you think there is an "inner child" actor deep inside you've been wanting to let out on live theater stage DO NOT miss this group of wonderful, talented, kind, caring, genuine people who all give so much to the community! ...also, if you only feel comfortable helping behind the scenes.....check the group out! Marie (nannyre)

Date of experience: September 2016
1  Thank nannyre
Reviewed October 26, 2016

I recently retired in Chiang Mai after teaching in China for several years and one of the things that I really missed was live theatre. Fortunately for me , I found the Gate Theatre Group that produces works by little known and famous playwrights. Two of my favorites were I Hate Hamlet and Driving Miss Daisy. If you happen to be in Chiang Mai please check their website to see if they are staging a production , you won't be disappointed.

Date of experience: November 2015
1  Thank Clifford R
Reviewed October 13, 2016 via mobile

I had the opportunity to see the Gate Theater put on a one off performance in Chiang Rai. They were able to ship all their props, costumes and lights, as well as convert a modest hall into an auditorium with tiered seating.

Now I've spent interminable evenings sat on a hard wooden chair in a village hall enduring "am dram", but this was no such thing. What I saw was a highly polished performance, both engaging and slick.

The people involved in the Gate Theater appear to be genuinely committed to providing an authentic theatre experience in northern Thailand, and they don't disappoint.

Date of experience: February 2016
1  Thank Jimdroberts
Reviewed October 11, 2016

I have been in the audience and on the stage, and every experience with the Gate Theater has been very positive. It's easy to end up doing the same things over and over in Chiang Mai, so don't miss out on an opportunity to enjoy something different, interesting, and entertaining!

Date of experience: April 2016