Review Highlights
The Sunday performance of Into the Light Focus on the Actor

This was a brilliant Sunday afternoon of entertainment. The actors were all fabulous and it was... read more

Reviewed November 5, 2017
Denise K
Brisbane, Australia
Must see a show here

Gate theater was built up in 1928 and it still keep in really good condition now If you have time... read more

Reviewed July 27, 2017

from $27.00
from $21.94
from $28.48
More Info
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed October 26, 2016

I recently retired in Chiang Mai after teaching in China for several years and one of the things that I really missed was live theatre. Fortunately for me , I found the Gate Theatre Group that produces works by little known and famous playwrights. Two of my favorites were I Hate Hamlet and Driving Miss Daisy. If you happen to be in Chiang Mai please check their website to see if they are staging a production , you won't be disappointed.

Date of experience: November 2015
1  Thank Clifford R
Reviewed October 13, 2016 via mobile

I had the opportunity to see the Gate Theater put on a one off performance in Chiang Rai. They were able to ship all their props, costumes and lights, as well as convert a modest hall into an auditorium with tiered seating.

Now I've spent interminable evenings sat on a hard wooden chair in a village hall enduring "am dram", but this was no such thing. What I saw was a highly polished performance, both engaging and slick.

The people involved in the Gate Theater appear to be genuinely committed to providing an authentic theatre experience in northern Thailand, and they don't disappoint.

Date of experience: February 2016
1  Thank Jimdroberts
Reviewed October 11, 2016

I have been in the audience and on the stage, and every experience with the Gate Theater has been very positive. It's easy to end up doing the same things over and over in Chiang Mai, so don't miss out on an opportunity to enjoy something different, interesting, and entertaining!

Date of experience: April 2016
1  Thank Mehergy
Reviewed September 30, 2016

I thought I'd be watching amateur dramatics but the Artistic Director punches these shows into professional productions. Very accessible and a fraction of the cost of big city live theater. You get so close that you almost walk right into the set. Fine entertainment on many levels.

Date of experience: October 2016
1  Thank Patricia S
Reviewed November 1, 2014

The Gate Theater is Chiang Mai's first and only English speaking small theater group. I've been to several of their productions including "The Laramie Project" and "Land of Smiles" as well as "Love Letters" and always leave the theater with a smile on my face! If you're here in my hometown of Chiang Mai and happen to see one of their productions advertised I hope you try to fit a performance into your holiday and enjoy some of our wonderfully, talented actors and actresses.

Date of experience: August 2014