“Most helpful place we stayed.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Green Tulip House

Green Tulip House
Los Angeles, CA
“Most helpful place we stayed.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2008

I could spend a lot of space here detailing how clean this guesthouse was and how nice the stay was (all true), but that has been well covered by other posts here. I will discuss the one thing that far and away distinguished this guesthouse from others that I stayed. It's true that you can book things to do at nearly any guesthouse that you stay in, but you will not get nearly as good service as you will here for one reason: the manager/host of the Green Tulip, Nine.

People in Thailand are generally very friendly, but Nine stood out from everyone else with her patience, excellent suggestions, and willingness to do right by us, her paying guests. She secured us deals at a local cooking class and on a trek at rates lower than we found advertised elsewhere. She got us a private car for a day when we were traveling all around and outside of the city and haggled with the driver for us to get a ridiculously low rate. She really made us feel comfortable, which might have been difficult considering it was our first stop in southeast Asia.

As for location, it's on the other side of the old city from the Night Bazaar and Warorat Market (the market that the locals go to), but that's not saying much. It's still walkable (and you really should walk a lot in a city like to get a good feel for the place), but if you don't want to walk you can grab a songtheaw for next to nothing (about $1). Generally, it's hard to have a "bad" location in the city since the old city is pretty small, but I actually enjoyed that the guesthouse was a bit removed from the more touristy areas.

Highly, highly recommended.

• Liked — Staff, Location, Value, Clean rooms
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank miketravel100

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2008

I would be remiss if I didn't stop and take time out of my busy schedule to express my appreciation of the excellent care I received from Vine and staff at 'Green Tulip House'. As a visitor to this beautiful country, I wanted to see all the sites and do everything in a limited amount of time. I would say without a doubt within the first hour Vine had assisted me with all my tours for the days/evenings. She made me feel very comfortable and listened intently, then made calls and created my schedule. Thanks to her, my holiday was a success.

I would like to also add the guest house is impeccable, food was great and staff very polite. I have frequent many guest houses because I love to travel and this by far was the BEST!!!!

Stayed May 2008
2 Thank itsaboufaith
Hove
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2008

We stayed 3 nights in the Green Tulip and loved it. The rooms are clean, comfy and well decorated, with hot showers and a western WC. There is a mix of en-suite and shared bathroom rooms, all of which have air-con. All rooms are superb value for what you get and the prices inlude breakfast.

The rooms are only half of what is great about the place. The Green Tulip is run by Stella and Nine, both of which speak superb English and ensure that you know where to go. They are both really friendly and make sure that your stay is as good as it can be. Internet is free in the front bar/cafe, where the party-loving Stella keeps laid back house, pop and salsa music pumping out all day.

Another advantage of this place, which people may not consider, is that they will hold your room and and baggage for you - without any charge whatsoever - while you go on one of the many 2-day or more treks around Chiang Mai. Other guesthouses will either make you pay for your room while you're not in it, or charge you for the storage of your bags.

I cannot recommend this place highly enough. The place is as nice as the online pictures suggest, as is the roof terrace and outside smoking area. Come and relax and be in the best place to use as a base for exploring Chiang Mai and its surrounds.

Phil Allen.

• Liked — Room cleanliness, great atmosphere, friendly staff, superb value
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PJA78
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2008

We stayed five nights at the Green Tulip. It is a very clean, efficient and best of all friendly. Nine and Stella are fabulous hosts that really look out for their patrons. You feel very welcomed and comfortable there. The breakfast is fresh and fast. They can book all the various excursions there for excellent prices. The rooms are basic, but all you need. We had a room with air-con and hot water, so we were very comfortable. It was fabulous stay and we hope to one day go back.

• Liked — Clean, Friendly, Helpful
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ThailandBaby
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2008

I agree with the majority of reviewers on this site. The Green Tulip is wonderful. They have a range of rooms to choose from. I booked two rooms for our family. One double and a twin with private bathrooms and air con. For around $25AUD each per night. The rooms were basic but immaculately clean and serviced daily. Stella and Douglas, the owner/managers, were delightful, and Stella will cook you up a storm at any time of the day. Nine, the head lady who lives on site, is an absolute gem. She is efficient and friendly. Everyone treated us like family and nothing was too much trouble for them. Breakfast was included and a choice of 3 settings was provided. It was cooked fresh and was more than adequate. The meals cooked by Stella are very reasonably priced (drinks too) and of excellent quality. Also, ask Nine to arrange your tours for you. She seems to know just about everybody and got us the best prices on the tours we wanted.

Location in on Samran Road about a 15 min walk to the night market area, or 50BHT ride in a Tuk Tuk. There is also a little mini market next door where you can buy basics. The stay at the Green Tulip was the highlight of our trip to many SE Asia destinations. The hospitality and cleanliness were features, and we look forward to visiting our new found Chiang Mai friends again someday. They worked hard to make us feel welcome and deserve the kudos.

• Liked — Friendly staff and cleanliness
  • Disliked — no pool but what can you expect for the price!!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank BlueHeeler777
Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2008

My first time visiting Thailand with my family, and I could not imagine a more wonderful place to spend part of our vacation than the Green Tulip House! Walking into the house, it is impeccably spotless, with a amazingly cheerful and knowledgeable staff (especially Stella and Nine, the two women who run this house:-), great atmosphere, and amazing food! Not only is this home the cleanest place I have ever seen in my life, the two women who run it make you feel right at home. They were able to give us advice on various activities to do during our short stay here, both touristy activities such as the Elephant Nature Park and temple outside the city all the way to local markets. My family had a wonderful time here and would come back in a heartbeat!!!!! Five stars for sure. I loved every second I was here and wish I could have stayed longer:-) Don't pass this place up, it is truly one of a kind!

• Liked — the cleanliness and GREAT staff
  • Disliked — loved every bit of it!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank mscello89
Santiago, Chile
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2008

A little afraid at the beginning. As a new comer to Thailand, we found this cheap Guest House in Chiang Mai, our first destination. Everybody was talking good things about the place... so, you know, can it be that good?, and well, it was not only as good as people say, but also it was much much better. You can't imagine the how clean the place is, how friendly the staff are (all of them, but specially Nine), how good the food is (recommended Tom Yam Gum and the pineapple rice) for that price. We only spent 3 nights (my birthday with cake included) there because of our tight schedule, but for sure, we would have been there longer if we could. Definitely a highly recommended place to stay... and also, follow the advise of Nine for the tours, she is good at that also!.

Thank you very much for all the people at the GTH.

• Liked — Cleanliness, staff, food, everything
  • Disliked — I had to leave... :-(